Upgrading PC rather than new 1 - SSD cloning?

Ford (Cz)

Hi guys. I'm thinking about upgrading my old PC Acer Aspire TC-710, I3-6100, 4GB, 1T HDD (2 partitions so 2x aprox 500GB), Win 10 Home (OEM). I would prefer upgrade rather than new PC. PC is quite laggy and slow starting (2 mins) etc. Just for typical home use (not a gamer) + Firestick TV. As a first step I'm thinking about SSD 500GB (so I can stay in about £50 budget for now). Later on maybe i5 processor, RAM + bit of a graphic upgrade maybe later. Not a fan of clean Win install as I'm having nightmares from previous backups of all of my bit messy dirs etc. So if I'll get SSD (thinking about this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-870-EVO-2-5-500GB-SATA-III-Solid-State-Drive/114638917234?epid=16044063074&hash=item1ab1030e72%3Ag%3AgcsAAOSw76JgBvUN&LH_BIN=1 )  - is it going to clone whole disk including Win as it is, so next time I turn PC on it will boot directly from SSD or do you think there might be an issue cos of OEM version of Win? I should be able to use Win10 Pro key from previous laptop in worst scenario which I guess I will have to use anyway if I'll go for new processor, RAM etc. anyway.  Ta 

• Like 1

If you are thinking in game, most important are GPU and screen con at least 144 hz this days. About PC core i7 10700 runs really well for me, with 16 gb ram i think it is enoguh. About GPU  a really cheap is a Radeon RX 550 4 gb wich runs really well for me. About screen i suggest 1 with 165 hz  ( https://www.lg.com/my/monitors/lg-32gn500-b ) wich is great combined with the GPU (freesync technology)

• Confused 1
  • Love 1

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6393;-;Aspire

@Ford (Cz)

I forgot to write something here. So I paste here. 🙃 You do this operation before or after data copying.

Copy the system to an 8GB or 16GB flash drive. The pendrive must be FAT32 format. You can format it on the system.
The FAT32 format can only be done on 16GB, 8GB and probably 4GB (but 4GB won't fit Win10).

To open the system installer. You must have a bootable USB flash drive (FAT32 format). And set it in the BIOS - so that the flash drive starts up first.

@Ford (Cz)

If you use this computer for home use, and you do not play games on it - then you better not touch it. 🙃

If you want to speed up your computer, well.🤔 You have to reinstall the system. Don't do any cloning because you don't. You can, but it is pointless. Because you are also moving the trash in the system. If you run the program together with the system and turn it off - Then you will not speed up the computer. Don't do any formats. First, copy your most important data or as much as you can fit on another partition or disk (in the case of UEFI).

The new SSD will not help you if you clone content from the previous disk. From 2 minutes it will be reduced to 1.5 minutes. I have a 2011 HDD and the system turns on in 24 seconds. For this I have programs that need add-ons to the system. It doesn't pay to push money into this computer. If you want a new (new, but old) cheap computer, ask me and I will describe it to you.

Data portability.
If you don't have UEFI in your BIOS then you can copy your data to the D partition. The C partition is usually the system partition and we want to delete it.

If you have UEFI BIOS you have to convert the whole disk to GPT format. You will no longer copy your data to partition D, because the entire disk needs to be converted - and all data will be gone on that disk. Copy the data to another disk.

Removing the system partition.
If you do not have a UEFI BIOS then - in the system installer you only delete the system partition. After such a system removal operation, shut down the computer and run the installer again. This way you can see if the system partition has actually been deleted. I use GParter for such operations and connect DvdRom every time - I am used to DDR2 motherboards.

If you have UEFI in BIOS then - in Win 10 installer go to cmd console (Shift + F10).
You enter in turn (method 1):

1. list disk             (Opens the disk management program.)
2. select disk 0      (0 means the first disk, if your system is on another, select the appropriate disk.)
3. list partition     (Step 3 will not be needed as you are deleting all partitions and converting the disk to GPT format.
4. clean                (Erase all contents on disk and all partitions!)
5. convert gpt       (Converts disk to GPT format with MBR.)
6. exit                  (Actually you can turn off your computer without typing 6 and 7 points.
7. exit

1.thumb.png.02134932313ad5cd2edfc52b308916f3.png

Edited by FILIPE
  • Like 2
  • 100 1

i agree with filipe, 

cloning your "trash", [wich causes in most cases the slowness of an Operating system on a classic HDD] to a ssd, wont solve the problem,

BUT

it can accelerate it... 😎

I also have  a 500GB Samsung SSD running for a couple of years now on my PC, and what can i say... about 10 seconds real bootime since day one, no defragging, no bs.

I can only recommend you to buy a SSD and do a fresh windows install (i think cloning is more complicated), and boot from the fresh install instead of the old one. 

But you can try yourself in cloning of course.

You need to tell the PC then in BIOS to Boot from the new drive, since the BIOS will propably handle it as a separate drive and not as an Operating System drive.

Ps. 

New is always better. 😉

New Is Always Better How I Met Your Mother GIF by Jessica

Edited by Vice86
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Also

Windows can be downloaded legally as a bootstick install and activated with a genuine microsoft account

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

i can only recommend to try that out, it is awesomely easy, just dont delete your old stuff

• Like 3

@Ford (Cz)

Now the question is what will you play. There is a big difference between 32bit and 64bit systems. If only in ET, I recommend the Win10 32bit system (you will not be able to play new games on 32bit). And if you are tempted by new games, you must have Win10 64bit.

I have a pirate Win10 64bit Professional system on a google drive - If you want to get it, write to me and I will send it to you. I cannot publish it here, because the regulations apply to me. But privately why not. In addition, I will send you an activation code for this system.

Activating the system using the cmd console:
This operation is not pirated as you can enter the original activation key.
Enter in turn:
1. cscript slmgr.vbs /upk
2. cscript slmgr.vbs /ipk XXXXX (Activation key)
3. cscript slmgr.vbs /skms kms.lotro.cc
4. cscript slmgr.vbs /ato
5. exit (Point 5 is not required, you can now enjoy)

Why am I using the pirated version? - because I can't afford it, simple. ☹️

@Betinho

Your answer is pointless. Ford has a weak computer and buying anything is pointless.

Everything is important in the computer and I take as much as I need. Because it could lead to Bottleneck.

Bottleneck is the limitation of the graphics card by the processor or vice versa.

Mr. Bethinio, I recommend that you buy the RTX 3060 graphics card (if you play, for example, cyberpunk 😆). Because this RX 550 4GB graphics card is a joke on your computer. You definitely have Bottleneck - So you will never use your CPU 100% in games. 🤔

@Vice86

SSD will definitely speed up - from 2 minutes to 1.5 minutes. If I install a clean system it will be 20s. Depending on what system selected 32 / 64bit. 64bit system turns on ~ 1.5x longer. 

Why buy an SSD for home use only. 🤪

Cloning is more difficult. Even I do not remember what was done there, because I do not need such things. 😜

Edited by FILIPE
  • Like 2

@Ford (Cz)

8s0uusog8seh.jpg.9e1468537855245d911a9f19285904f5.jpg

This is probably the BIOS of the Aspire TC-710 motherboard. I don't know, I don't want to look for it. Here you can switch the order of the disks. I start on the number one.

@Ford (Cz) @Vice86

Defragmentation.
Only HDDs are defragmented. After such an operation, you can get some speed (I don't notice anything there). Because the disk head does not rush all over the disk.

Defragmenting an SSD doesn't speed it up. And it only shortens the lifespan because you are overwriting the flash memory. Several hundred TBs can be signed in flash memory.

Edited by FILIPE

Defrag only for HDD's, 

Never defrag SSD's!

My old HDD with 1TB had a transferrate of about 130mb/s as far i remember.

My new SSD on the other had around 500mb/s, more than 4 times faster, besides all the need of defragmentation HDD's need once a month to run smooth. 

For me it was the first hardware exchange i literaly noticed on everyday work.

So kids, if you dont have a SSD yet,

go get some, its awesome!

• 100 2

I am talking about play ET, you dont need at all play with an expensive GPU, just with 80 dollars you can play with a good GPU, combined with a screen with 144/165 hz (thats what you need for play with Gsync or Freesync Premium), wich is really an advantage for play this days @FILIPE 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FILIPE said:

Why am I using the pirated version? - because I can't afford it, simple. ☹️

No need to use "Pirated" ones anymore... (Besides that, please hold any kind of information about that to yourself😉)

Windows is basicly freeware now, if you register the installation on a microsoft account, you can keep the license. 

Win 10 was freeware on the rollout, when the Betaversions went out, so you could upgrade from win 7 to win 10 for free,

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

That USB-Stick tool will use the free version of the latest install with the same routine the beta installs had in the past. So it is still "free".

I installed this version on a blank System and registerd a Win 10 Pro license to my Microsoft account, no pay, no bullshit.

@Vice86

1.Why buy an SSD for home use only. 🤪

2.Cloning is more difficult. Even I do not remember what was done there, because I do not need such things. 😜

Because, when you´re grown up,

Time is money, so if you boot double as fast, you save about double the money!

And ain´t nobody got time for that

ain't nobody got time for that GIF

Haven´t cloned since 2014 on a Raidsystem, and like you said, cloning the trash is pointless, so either dig up the trash and delete it wich takes weeks for me and wont be as good as a new install,

or do a new OS install wich takes me about 30 minutes... do the latest rollout and you´ll already have the signatured drivers with it. So easy joice if you ask me.

10 minutes ago, FILIPE said:

@Ford (Cz) @Vice86

For defragmentation of HDDs, I recommend the program - Defraggler. Or defrag in windows XP.

g_-_-x-_-_s_x20150910002909_0.png.160329e1cc06d1ea15d163d5ea3c8db9.png

LOL 🤗🤗🤗🤗

WinXP 

Edited by Vice86
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

@Betinho

I don't know what for ET 165 Hz. 144Hz you can afford. I would recommend 75Hz for such a computer, because it is a waste of the monitor's potential. But if someone has money.

To use freesync you must have an AMD graphics card that supports this.

From what I read. The Ford computer has no graphics card, but an integrated graphics chip. In this case, he has to buy some more.

@Vice86

If something happens to me with the disc. Bad sector will follow - Then I'm not worried about the key and the originality of the system. I just install the system and have no worries.

Most people have the original version. But the CD system was not added to the off-the-shelf computers. XD So if something happens then where to get the system from. You have to go to a friend.

Edited by FILIPE
  • 100 1

It is all matter about see your FPS in your screen. If you got a GPU giving you 200 fps (at least this is what Radeon rx 550 4 gb is giving me for play ET in Jay2 and Silen1, in NQ1 only 165 fps), So, i got a GPU with 165 FPS in nq1...but i play with 60,  75 hz screen.

What happen? i can see only 60 or 75 FPS on the screen. For the other side if you got a screen with 165 hz, you will see that 165 FPS what the GPU is giving you, wich is an advantage in the time of play.

So, conclusion: dont waste money in expensive GPU, just a GPU what is giving you the FPS you need for the game you like to play. And spend the money you need for an expensive screen with at least 144 hz.

Edited by Betinho
  • Like 2

@Betinho

If you have 200 fps in ET, then teleportation occurs - simply put, you have a drop in FPS. This is how the id tech3 engine was programmed.

The most important thing in ET is ping, 125faps and the largest monitor possible. I am 27 inches.

You will not see 165Fps if you have com_maxfps 125 set. And if you have these 165 then you only have FPS drops (because there is so-called teleportation). Above 100FPS you don't see any difference as your eye can't see it. That's physics - it's all about frequency. The same light bulb, pulsates with a frequency of 50 Hz on alternating current. You don't see it, the bulb is blinking.

Edited by FILIPE
  • Like 3