Other quickness

Robby

Question

( On ET ) How are some players seem able to move a lot faster?  I always seem to move like i'm slightly overweight.  The closest i can figure is that the fast players have a thin green lag bar i might be wrong: my ping is around a 100 not not bad i know but some have down to about 5 or 20 is there a co= relation between moving faster than others and a low ping. I've tried different cfg's but the perceived slowness on my part seems to exist. I had one day about 2 -3 weeks ago i was moving so fast but i have no idea what caused it i seemed to move a little faster on silent and one cfg  seemed to move a little faster as well;  both; seemed to reduce the lag bar a little and put more a fine tooth comb pattern on the lag bar. I have an Acer aspire with a 500 ssd  ( apart from a hard drive ) and i have a hdmi  hewlett packard w2207h  c - screen.  Blank all help is welcome Rob.   

Most likely its due to people saving their "stamina" to sprint during duels. A lot just deplete their stamina running out of spawn fast and then have none left over during duels. Keep a look out for what you do and where you spend your stamina and try to reserve it for moments you need it. Also for movements not involving duels or fights, learn to strafe jump to get around faster. 

Edited by CheepHeep
  • 100 1

Hey Cheep; i read your post but i don't agree; plus i explained my observation and query related with this; with all due respect; please also see my question of it one day 3 weeks ago i seemed to be able to move very fast in relation; there was a clear notable difference; please also the relation between lag bar and ping; and quickness. Rob :)

I don't think there is an actual correlation between lag and speed. What you can do is turn on your speedometer in options under the HUD option to get an exact answer and compare the values when you notice a significant difference. Also, when you noticed a difference, were you playing on the same server as before or a different one. Not all servers have the same default speed. 

Edited by CheepHeep
  • 100 1

2 minutes ago, CheepHeep said:

I don't think there is an actual correlation between lag and speed. What you can do is turn on your speedometer in options under the HUD option to get an exact answer. Also, when you noticed a difference, were you playing on the same server as before or a different one. Not all servers have the same default speed. 

Huh. 

I don't know but it'll be interesting to find out. Not sure. There are different severs for the same game?  Different servers for the version of Hard Core?

1 minute ago, Robby said:

There are different severs for the same game? 

Yes, you said this is for ET in your original post. You didn't know that there is more than one server for ET? Hardcore is just one of the many servers that FA hosts. If that is the only server that you play on then that answers my question about whether you played on different servers or not unless you were playing on different ones without knowing 😛 

I think, it's most likely what Cheep said.

Also, on some servers, we do have adrenaline enabled.

Maybe you faced some players who were using it 😁

Just in case you were wondering, here is a link with the list of all our servers:

https://fearless-assassins.com/enemyterritory-servers.html/

8 minutes ago, CheepHeep said:

Yes, you said this is for ET in your original post. You didn't know that there is more than one server for ET? Hardcore is just one of the many servers that FA hosts. If that is the only server that you play on then that answers my question about whether you played on different servers or not unless you were playing on different ones without knowing 😛 

No this was on hard core all posts queries situations questions relate to hard core also the server question.; if there are more servers for hard core. 

5 minutes ago, Robby said:

No this was on hard core all posts queries situations questions relate to hard core also the server question.; if there are more servers for hard core. 

HardCore is not a special kind of servers. We just named one of our servers HardCore. So, there is only 1 F|A HardCore server.

In ET, servers run on different mods (ex: Silent, Jaymod, NQ). Each mod has specificities. And in each mod, you will find many servers which can all have different configurations.

So, for example, our HardCore server runs on the Silent mod. It has its own characteristics (like speed, gravity, etc).

If you go on a different Silent mod server, you might feel some differences, because they will have set up different speed characteristics on their server. That's what Cheep was talking about.

Edited by Cross Marian
  • Like 2

The only setting within ET that would make you seem to move faster is changing the field of view (FOV).

If you change your FOV in console (\cg_fov number) from the default 90 to say 110 you will feel like your moving waaay quicker but will also make the game in general, including the enemy seem quicker. The reason for this is because the amount of viewable area on your screen will expand so while moving the game will feel much quicker simply because your fitting more in to the screen yet in reality the distance moved ingame doesn't actually change.

Resolution can also make the game seem faster, so playing with say 1920x1080 and then switching to 1260x1024 will make the players seem smaller and stumpier and the surroundings wider so when you move again you will feel like your moving quicker even though the distance moved in game will still be the same as normal.

Other than those your movements in game wont feel any different no matter your lag or ping etc.

Edited by Snuffs99
  • 100 1

2 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

The only setting within ET that would make you seem to move faster is changing the field of view (FOV).

If you change your FOV in console (\cg_fov number) from the default 90 to say 110 you will feel like your moving waaay quicker but will also make the game in general, including the enemy seem quicker. The reason for this is because the amount of viewable area on your screen will expand so while moving the game will feel much quicker simply because your fitting more in to the screen yet in reality the distance moved ingame doesn't actually change.

Resolution can also make the game seem faster, so playing with say 1920x1080 and then switching to 1260x1024 will make the players seem smaller and stumpier and the surroundings wider so when you move again you will feel like your moving quicker even though the distance moved in game will still be the same as normal.

Other than those your movements in game wont feel any different no matter your lag or ping etc.

Ok i get your reality but i have a different reality i don't  need to conflict i might be wrong; but lets say if i wanted to thin the  lag bar how would i go about doing that?  Point being is that about three weeks ago i moved a lot faster it was only one game/ session map after map; which lasted about 2 hrs. I might be wrong but i think my lag bar was lower much lower.  I was moving a lot faster and much freer like something that was holding me back was not there any more. Dude i got way more f***ing kills. I don't know if you all believe me but there is something there that makes change. 

1 hour ago, Robby said:

Ok i get your reality but i have a different reality i don't  need to conflict i might be wrong; but lets say if i wanted to thin the  lag bar how would i go about doing that?  Point being is that about three weeks ago i moved a lot faster it was only one game/ session map after map; which lasted about 2 hrs. I might be wrong but i think my lag bar was lower much lower.  I was moving a lot faster and much freer like something that was holding me back was not there any more. Dude i got way more f***ing kills. I don't know if you all believe me but there is something there that makes change. 

You can mess with packets and maybe try and see if you can lower your ping by reducing everything that is using the internet on your pc/laptop.... but other than that your governed by the distance from you to the server, the speed of your internet and the way the server processes lags. 

It is possible your internet connection is unstable and your losing packets? that would cause sluggishness but a jitter test could tell you how stable your line is so run one. You can also do a tracert and post the results etc and see if anyone can see where your problem is "internet route" wise if there is one.

I've played server with high ping and low ones and never really noticed any speed increase other than when changing fov or resolution but again in reality you rnot moving any faster @ 90 fov than you do at 120 etc, its just an illusion.

Watch, same speed but a different FOV can make it seem faster or slower.

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Like 2
  • 100 1

21 minutes ago, Snuffs99 said:

You can mess with packets and maybe try and see if you can lower your ping by reducing everything that is using the internet on your pc/laptop.... but other than that your governed by the distance from you to the server, the speed of your internet and the way the server processes lags. 

It is possible your internet connection is unstable and your losing packets? that would cause sluggishness but a jitter test could tell you how stable your line is so run one. You can also do a tracert and post the results etc and see if anyone can see where your problem is "internet route" wise if there is one.

I've played server with high ping and low ones and never really noticed any speed increase other than when changing fov or resolution but again in reality you rnot moving any faster @ 90 fov than you do at 120 etc, its just an illusion.

Watch, same speed but a different FOV can make it seem faster or slower.

Yeh i never messed with the fov; but nice video :)

Edited by Robby

Ping 167  up 10  dowload 76   jitter 259   i think its all good but i have no clue about tracer  picture below.  I also have a direct cable from my router to my computer. 

Spoiler

Schermopname (8).png

Edited by Robby