Eddie Van Halen obituary

Crazyshot

The death of Eddie Van Halen from throat cancer, aged 65, brings to a close one of the most colourful and lucrative sagas in American rock music. If Aerosmith was the premier US hard rock band of the 1970s, it was Van Halen who stepped into their shoes during the 80s. Formed around the Van Halen brothers, the guitarist Eddie and the drummer Alex, the band rode a tidal wave of multi-platinum albums over a 15-year period. Few other acts have come close to matching their commercially combustible mixture of spectacular and addictive rock, flamboyant stage performances and outsized personal behaviour.

The band sold more than 80m albums worldwide. Eleven of their studio albums reached the US Top 10, and four reached No 1. In 2012, Van Halen was ranked top of Guitar World magazine’s list of 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time.

eddie-van-halen.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • 100 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing guitar for years and I'm still trying to learn how to play Eruption!! I have a few parts down like the tapping but still!

I bet millions of guitarists turned up to 11 and tried to play eruption again for the hundredth+ time once this news broke earlier this month. Hell, one of the last times I recorded in the studio they had an EVH 5150 speaker head to use and you bet your ass I used it on my songs. RIP EVH. 

• Like 1