Weird bug happened in game - geniuses welcome to help

RASHOMON

Okay so quick question: I was on FA#1 tonight and was lagging quite hard (ping spikes, low fps), I minimalized, quit Steam then maximalized then I couldn't hit anybody. My aim was on them but it was as if I was shooting through them - they could hit me though.

So I decided to relaunch the game and was unable to do so: after the map was done loading, the game would just shut itself down with no error message. After a while trying (I could connect onto another server though...), I decided to run ET as an admin. I was able to connect to FA but the game didn't properly launch. I had no menu, an ugly resolution and every letter i'd type in the console would prompt an error message in the console. After a good vid_restart, I could play cleanly with no lag.

WHAT ON EARTH IS THIS? From one moment to another, the game refused to connect me to FA if I wasn't running it as an admin and the game finally launched as an admin with shitty ass graphics and settings. Any sorcerer here to help me understand this? Of course it's not a huge deal since I can still connect as an admin but I still have to vid_restart everytime, it's quite annoying.

Greetings,

Sniper RASHOMON

Edited by RASHOMON
  • Like 1

One thing to check is if the com_crashed cvar flag was tripped to 1 by something that happened in that whole process. "shut itself down with no error message" suggests this happened.

The reason you get a weird resolution and some other settings after a crash is that certain cvars are considered "unsafe" by ET (probably because they are more often associated with crashes and startup problems). After a crash unsafe cvars are not executed until you reset com_crashed to 0 or set com_ignorecrash to 1.

My guess as to the root cause is that somehow you ended up with two clients open or the shutdown of one client before the relaunch got stuck somehow. Trying to figure out why the hit registration is bad when your aim is good is what I spend most of my time "playing" ET trying to sort out. If you happen to have a demo of that round, post it here and I can take a look and see where your bullets ended up.

• Thanks 2
  • 100 1

Thank you Cake for the educated reply, unfortunately com_crashed was already set to 0 and seta com_ignorecrash 1 made no difference.

Don't have the demo for the hit registration. Was standing still with my sniper scope on, aimed like 10 times at a still guy and nothing ever registered. Screen was weirdly shaking after every shot.

Anyway I'll just go around the bug and just launch ET as an admin for the time being.

Regards,

RASHOMON

Edited by RASHOMON

What you describe about the game loading in a weird resolution happens to me when I run a second instance of the game when I forgot I already started it*. My guess would be that the process didnt properly quit, and was still running in the background.

*Weed does you no harm, ask buckwild!

• Leader
12 hours ago, RASHOMON said:

not sure I understand, I needed help on an Et related topic so I went on the subsection "ET support". Should have I posted somewhere else?

You did Exactly Right.  I was just saying that some of the problems we see are so ??? that I sometimes would like to have another 'reaction emoticon'.  "Confused" is good enough, I guess. 😄 

I am glad to see that you "fixed" it, but I really, really H8te reinstallations, of ET, Windows OS or any other problem program. :mad  (I will find the problem, or more likely "stumble into a solution" that I found by chance and don't really understand.) 😄 

Oh sorry, I misunderstood you! yea this bug got me angry cause it was coming so out of the blue... At least ET takes ~10 secs to get reinstalled, after that, you just have to copy paste files you need but still, having to find every ET related file on your comp and delete it before the reinstall was annoying...