Windows Dolby Digital on Realtek Audio Drivers

-=HipKat=-

• Platinum VIP
3 hours ago, Siwex89 said:

hmm I'm using dd/dts speakers(Z-5500) for years and I never had this problem.

56.jpg.13d13d62c9994bec49d6ad5336c7cfaf.jpg

That's how it looks on my PC(Polish language xd)

Mine shows that too, but you have to use the hack to get the option in the pic below, and when I choose Dolby Digital Live 5.1 sound, I lose my rear speakers. (BTW, this is not my settings. It's a pic off a google search)

realtek_vista6.png

Edited by -=HipKat=-

I didn't do anything with my drivers, Windows installed them by himself by auto updates and that's it

and also I'm using optical connection

57.jpg.04d3e938ab03305909517715f628dcf2.jpg

Edited by Siwex89

• Platinum VIP
10 hours ago, Siwex89 said:

I didn't do anything with my drivers, Windows installed them by himself by auto updates and that's it

and also I'm using optical connection

57.jpg.04d3e938ab03305909517715f628dcf2.jpg

What version and build of windows? Because the Internet is full of links about how windows 10 disables 5.1 Dolby Digital audio and the realtek drivers

• 100 1

Did you roll back drivers before installing new ones

It sounds to me you have either to many drivers or a mismatch setup that is corrupting one another

Like Siwex suggested Windows 10 will update drivers automatically with windows update  

If you uninstall and roll back and re-install realtek then use windows update to acquire drivers and beta drivers they suggest

you shouldn't be having this trouble to be honest 

7 hours ago, -=HipKat=- said:

What version and build of windows? Because the Internet is full of links about how windows 10 disables 5.1 Dolby Digital audio and the realtek drivers

10 pro 1903

If "officially" supported, the dolby options should be baked into Windows 10 now. Try downloading the Dolby Access app through Windows Store.

• Platinum VIP
2 hours ago, Xernicus said:

If "officially" supported, the dolby options should be baked into Windows 10 now. Try downloading the Dolby Access app through Windows Store.

See the attached for the error I get with the Dolby Access App. It only sees HDMI, not the S/PDIF Output

12 hours ago, DoubleDragon said:

Did you roll back drivers before installing new ones

It sounds to me you have either to many drivers or a mismatch setup that is corrupting one another

Like Siwex suggested Windows 10 will update drivers automatically with windows update  

If you uninstall and roll back and re-install realtek then use windows update to acquire drivers and beta drivers they suggest

you shouldn't be having this trouble to be honest 

The ones built in with the last Win 10 build do not include the option for Dolby Live 5.1. 

Windows Update has updated the Realtek drivers, since then.

All that was before last week when I started this whole thing.

I uninstalled all the realtek drivers. Then installed the version that was patchable, which gave me the option for 5.1. but selecting that showed up as DD 5.1 on my surround system, but the rear speakers only emit that hissing sound - which shows they're active, just no sound coming through them. 

I also have the newest VLC Player with all the options I could find set to what I believe they should be.

Anyway, Monday night I did Windows Restore to roll back to where I Was prior to all of this

Annotation 2019-08-29 063433.jpg

Edited by -=HipKat=-

You can use DDU to block Windows Update from updating device drivers, then exit the program without removing your video drivers. It's the easiest way I've found to prevent things like this from happening. That way you shouldn't have this issue again.

Windows Restore fixed the issue for you I hope?

• Platinum VIP
7 hours ago, Xernicus said:

You can use DDU to block Windows Update from updating device drivers, then exit the program without removing your video drivers. It's the easiest way I've found to prevent things like this from happening. That way you shouldn't have this issue again.

Windows Restore fixed the issue for you I hope?

It didn't fix it. It took me back to where I Was without Dolby Live 5.1 as an option for sound settings

6 hours ago, DoubleDragon said:

What is your build number for windows 10

Win 10 Pro 1903

Edited by -=HipKat=-

• Platinum VIP
3 minutes ago, DoubleDragon said:

open explorer and paste this give that build number C:\Windows\System32\winver.exe

Annotation 2019-08-29 203421.jpg

Audio device 10.0.18362.1 has a known issue that hasn't been resolved linking Digital Audio Device with  Realtek Audio driver

There is no new updated logged in Microsoft sense May 

I think if you open device manager and disable the Digital Audio S/PDIF and use the manager Realtek Digital Audio driver instead it should work

I have same build # and I am having to use Spatial Sound you may have to do same thing 

see here

spacer.png