Mouse stops responding within user session (Win 7)

Xernicus

I'm having a problem that's pissing me off, and I can't really figure out what in the hell is going on.

When I launch a select few applications (Visual Studio 2013 is an example), my mouse stops responding- simple as that. No amount of unplugging it, turning it off, or reinstalling the drivers works at all.

Now here's the bit that annoys me the most. If I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to go to the Windows Security screen, the mouse works just fine. If I go back to the Desktop, it quits responding again.

If I start the device manager through the run dialog (devmgmt.mmc), the mouse works just fine (but only within the MMC window). There are no device errors ever reported.

Now in order to go the mouse to work again, I have to log out and log back in. Once I log out... the mouse works just fine, yet again.

I can't find anything relevant on Google, and I'm just plain ol' stumped as to what to try to fix this.

The mouse is a Logitech G700s, plugged into a USB 2.0 port. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Revision 5.0. The operating system I'm running on this PC is Win 7 Professional x64.

• Leader

Did you run across this topic in social.technet?  

It has posts for four long years, from nov 2009 to nov 2014, in the Vista forum, but has complaints from users with xp thru win7.

Mouse deselects active window, wont respond until ctrl alt del https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/9075972d-21e0-4040-9c5d-48d3c2deda7c/mouse-deselects-active-window-wont-respond-until-ctrl-alt-del

One poster says the mouse focus stays on the prior window, not the current one.   :)

I had a problem recently where I could hover over an icon on the win7 taskbar, and the sub-folder menu would expand, but I could select nothing.  Nor could I click-select any taskbar icon.  Alt-Tab didn't work.  I would have to close all windows for the task-bar or alt-tab to work.  Then I found that it was minimizing Chrome that did the trick.  I restarted Chrome and all was well.   :)

My Chrome is set to reopen the last tabs used on restart, but I now wonder if the problem was from one particular web-page amongst the tabs.

• Like 1

AFAIK the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, but the affected program that I remember (VS 2013) will not start in Safe Mode, so... :rolleyes:
I can try disabling Aero, but I don't see how that would affect the mouse, interrupt requests, etc. My CPU and GPU load has always been minimal when this has happened.

@RedBaird: I had not seen that topic! It's given me some ideas to try. The one thing that is different between my case and most of the reports is that my mouse will not respond at all, not even to movement. Most people seem to just have "clicking" issues as far as i see. Nevertheless, it's narrowed down some solutions to try.

I do have more than one mouse showing up in the device manager, two "HID Compliant mouse" and one "Logitech G700s Rechargable Gaming Mouse". I do find that odd, as there's only one mouse connected, and I don't even have the wireless reciever plugged in. I'll try disabling the HID complaint entries and see what happens first.

I'm not home at the moment... but I'll do some testing when I get back, and hopefully get this solved and share the solution. :)

i'm just pulling straws out of a hat here,

but try  safemode for visual studio

try start visual studio minimized

try moving the mouse with windows MouseKeys

try making a new user account,

I think 2nd mouse might be an inbuilt receiver.

I do have more than one mouse showing up in the device manager, two "HID Compliant mouse" and one "Logitech G700s Rechargable Gaming Mouse". I do find that odd, as there's only one mouse connected, and I don't even have the wireless reciever plugged in. I'll try disabling the HID complaint entries and see what happens first.

And this is the reason.

So to solve that. First download the newest driver to the mouse you posses. Then uninstall the drivers you have already installed in device manager. And install the newest driver. The problem is with the two mice showing in the device manager. All you have to do is to see only one of that logitech mouse instead of HID.... The driver is the reason of your problem. 

Edited by Unknown*

Alrighty.

1. VS will not run in Safe Mode
  2. Mouse keys do not work when this problem is occurring
  3. Even if there is no mouse plugged in whatsoever, the HID-compliant devices are still in the device manager. I've tried disabling them, but so far it is not working.
  4. I've uninstalled all of the mouse and KB drivers, and reinstalled them. No dice. I will try using the standard MS drivers instead, I guess.

I got a BSOD when messing with the mouse drivers:

On Tue 4/14/2015 8:15:27 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\041415-63960-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x74EC0) 
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80003494A96, 0xFFFFF8800A497A30, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code. 
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. 

On Tue 4/14/2015 8:15:27 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: mpfilter.sys (MpFilter+0x200E1) 
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80003494A96, 0xFFFFF8800A497A30, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\mpfilter.sys
product: Microsoft Malware Protection
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Microsoft antimalware file system filter driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code. 
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time. 

Although there are two entries, the computer only BSOD'd once today. I'll uninstall MSE and all other potentially running AV software to see if that helps for whatever reason. It was suggested by someone on the Technet forums, though I don't think they know what they're talking about.

Here are my main concerns:

1. Why is this issue only occurring when I launch certain applications? And why does the mouse still not work after closing these programs?
  2. Why does uninstalling the mouse followed by plugging back in the mouse not fix this problem?
  3. Why does ctrl+alt+del clear up the problem, but it returns when I return to Explorer?

I'm going to contact Logitech and Gigabyte and see about getting both the mouse and mobo RMA'd. I don't really have any time to troubleshoot this, I need my computer to run VS so I can make money and keep my bills paid.

So I finally have an update. After doodling around with drivers, and writing a Win 7 ISO image to a USB drive to try an in-place reinstallation, I decide to give launching VS 2013 one last shot.

As usual, the mouse locks up (no input will be accepted whatsoever), so I use my keyboard to open Spy++. Once Spy++ initializes, I have control over the mouse again. It's only within the Spy++ window (If I alt+tab, the input freezes up again, but returning to Spy++ always frees it back up), but it's something.

I set it to debug mouse input for VS out of curiosity. After switching windows, and moving the mouse around in all directions, and pressing "all teh buttonz", I return to Spy++ to find that it received no mouse input messages whatsoever. So this issue seems to be occurring at a very low level. Hmmmm. My computer then froze up, and Spy++ gave me this message:

post-9897-0-98110900-1429131349_thumb.png

Following pressing Enter to 'OK' (The mouse not working at this moment), I now have complete control over my mouse in all windows, including VS 2013. I have not tried to restart it, but my guess is that the problem would start all over again. :crazy

Alrighty, well I have yet another update.

Deciding to let my VS 2013 installation sit on my hard drive, I installed my old copy of Expression Studio Ultimate 4.

• The minute I launched the installer, the mouse would only respond while the installer was the active window.
  • The mouse pointer would disappear behind other windows
  • As usual, I had to log off in order for the mouse to start functioning properly again.
  • This problem is also present in Expression Web 4.

So I booted into Safe Mode and started up Expression Web 4. Annnnd once again, the dice did not roll in my favor-- the problem still occurs in Safe Mode. <_<

Perhaps Expression Studio and VS share an API that's causing this.

I'm thinking of jumping over to the Technet forums over at Microsoft to see if anybody there can shine a light on the problem.

It would be nice if I can avoid having to do any sort of a reinstall, be it an in-place upgrade or wiping the disk.
I did already try an in-place upgrade but that failed, so I'm back at square one...

Does this mouse work perfectly without running those programms? Heard also that it might be problem with Mouse transceiver... Not sure about that, but I wonder if you could test those programms on totally other computer with different mouse.

Yes, the mouse works perfectly (in all programs and the OS) until I launch VS 2013 or Expression Studio.

I doubt it's a problem with the transceiver, as I'm running the mouse in 'wired' mode, and the Wireless transmitter isn't even plugged in.

I've been able to use these programs on several computers without problem. Expression Studio used to be my main HTML and CSS coding program.

I haven't used these programs on this particular build until now however, I hadn't been getting much Web Design work until lately.

• 2 months later...

Two months in... still affected, but getting by. So far, my "fix it" plan is to upgrade to Win 10 Pro, then do a clean install.

Update to list of affected programs:

• RivaTuner
  • Tropico 5 Launcher
  • Evolve gaming IM client

Probably more that I can't remember, but whatev. :rolleyes: