Career Help-Mechanical Engineering

Mr.Karizmatic

Ok guys as our F|Amily is vast and always humble and ready to help i want some help with my career choice.. i m studying mechanical engineering and i m in 3rd year its a 4 yr course.. and i really dont know what job i can do or what i shall do after 4 yrs and becoming a mechanical engineering. so i need help is there any mechanical engineer around here who can help me with career choices or anyone is welcome to give there suggestion towards this.. I m intrested in building engines or design i dont know how but i like it and if there are alot of jobs out there then i shall pursue in this field or i have some knowledge theoretical/field work of HVAC so i m confused between both so plz help me :)

Thx 

Cheers :)

• Like 1

I'm studying Aeronautical engineering and I know that there are quite a few mechanical engineers in the aeronautical/aerospace industry. Mechanical engineering is the base for most engineering, so you can actually do a lot. NASA, Boeing, Lockheed, AirBus, Fokker...just to name a few aerospace companies you could work for. Just to give you an idea.

But also high performance car industry, F1 racing, etc.

• Like 1

Thx for the info mate but i want to knw what are the jobs like designing,Machine work etc what are the jobs i can get and what is the best cause i really like designing and i did some HVAC work and love to assemble engines

Well if you want quality jobs then do M.tech or better way go outside India to do MS. You wont get good jobs on bachelor level unless your college has good placements.

If you want to stay in India then appear for GATE and go for M.tech in reputed institutes like IIT or NIT (IITs are better)

Thx for the info mate but i want to knw what are the jobs like designing,Machine work etc what are the jobs i can get and what is the best cause i really like designing and i did some HVAC work and love to assemble engines

Design in a 3d CAD program?

Engineers don't really assemble engines, they do more the calculations and design behind them (at least in my experience).

Well if you want quality jobs then do M.tech or better way go outside India to do MS. You wont get good jobs on bachelor level unless your college has good placements.

If you want to stay in India then appear for GATE and go for M.tech in reputed institutes like IIT or NIT (IITs are better)

You can't get a good job with a bachelors? I would disagree.

i have seen alot of jobs for a bachelors degree..

and yeah solidworks is a software which is good for design and autocad ...

what about HVAC etc... anything from there???

I'm in the same boat (3rd year Mechanical engineering student), and what I would recommend is going to your school's career fair and talk to some of the employees of various companies. You don't have to have any interest in joining them at the time, just walk up and ask what they do in a normal work day. If you like what they're describing, ask what you can do to put yourself in a better position for that company. If you do not like their description, simply move on to the next booth.

An easier way, though, would be to think of what makes you happy. For me, it's cars. I've always loved them, always will. And so I am setting myself up for a career in the automotive industry: I am taking technical electives that focus on automotive engineering, I am learning multiple CAD programs and programming languages, building a wide skill set (this is key---the employer will think "If I hire this guy, he can take the place of two or three people! Why NOT hire him?"), and I am active on my school's Formula SAE team. No matter what you want to do, your school should have some sort of club/team or offer classes in that field. Join them to gain necessary experience. 

Also, you should network with some of the professors on campus. You'll find that a lot of them have either worked your dream job in the past or have connections to somebody who does. Make a good impression on them, go to office hours to get to know them, and ask about it. Professors were students once too, they'll be happy to share their experience with you! 

In terms of actual job titles---don't worry about those. They vary from company to company and you'll find that most just say "Job opening--Engineer". Just peruse the listings, find one that suits you, make sure you meet the requirements, and go for it. It doesn't hurt to try. You mention HVAC a lot, which is nice, but remember that you wouldn't design the loops inside of houses or anything, you'd be designing the components themselves. If you're not comfortable with Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics, then avoid this field. 

A lot of what I put here is what I've gathered from people who have been in our position at one point. Each of them told me the same thing: you're young. You don't have house payments, you have the freedom to move wherever you want with little consequence, no wife or kids to worry about, and so much more. If you think that there is the tiniest of chances that what you're onto can make you happy, go for it. If you find that it isn't what you wanted, then no harm done. Move onto the next opportunity. Just don't be afraid to take risks right now, you could be letting yourself down massively. 

Last bit of advice: never just say "I'm good at this, why not make a job out of it?" If it doesn't make you happy and feel fulfilled, then picture yourself doing that for 40 years and being miserable every second. The beauty of our field is that we can go into almost anything we want (I know a mechanical engineer who was hired on as a business higher-up because he had a valuable skill: problem solving). We aren't just taught how to use equations, but how to identify a problem and take the steps to solve it. That skill is invaluable for any job market. 

Whatever you decide, good luck! 

• Like 1

For me too its car like designing or designing engine or parts stuff i know its hard i need to knw all the subjects ( which i m not good at it :P ) solidworks software i shall learn it soon and hmm about HVAC yeah i think there is designing of ducts etc in that for big malls etc which is a good field too... thx alot ronaldunit u helped me i shall ask u whenever i needed help :)...

• Like 1

Congratulations on your career choice Kariz.  I am a mechanical engineer and although I do very little mechanical engineering work, my degree has opened numerous doors of opportunity for me.  As eluded to by Ronaldounit0, the degree itself does little to prepare  you to work in a specific industry but does teach you to think and analyze problems which enables you to apply your skills in many different industries.

Picking an industry (engine manufacturing) that interests you is great, but, you also need to be realistic with respect to what the job opportunities are in that industry.  Picking an industry based on the opportunities is not a bad way to go and could help you identify new interests and a whole new career path.  Getting that first job is the hardest part but if you are able to prove yourself and develop a competent resume, the opportunities will follow.  Don't be afraid to "put your time in" at a job that may not be your ideal career path as long as it helps you develop your skills.

Best of luck to you and the other future grads.

• Like 1

Congratulations on your career choice Kariz.  I am a mechanical engineer and although I do very little mechanical engineering work, my degree has opened numerous doors of opportunity for me.  As eluded to by Ronaldounit0, the degree itself does little to prepare  you to work in a specific industry but does teach you to think and analyze problems which enables you to apply your skills in many different industries.

Picking an industry (engine manufacturing) that interests you is great, but, you also need to be realistic with respect to what the job opportunities are in that industry.  Picking an industry based on the opportunities is not a bad way to go and could help you identify new interests and a whole new career path.  Getting that first job is the hardest part but if you are able to prove yourself and develop a competent resume, the opportunities will follow.  Don't be afraid to "put your time in" at a job that may not be your ideal career path as long as it helps you develop your skills.

Best of luck to you and the other future grads.

can u plz tell me like what fields i can like i really dont know anything i like designing so what kind of softwares should i learn and like if i want to pursue in designing what stuff should i learn and etc or like if i want to go with cars etc like design or anything can u plz plz tell me what fields are good and has good future and like has more jobs..