=F|A= Studio

MaKy

5 Essential components for creating your home studio.

1: PC

2: Software - DAW

3: Audio Interface

4: Mic

5: Monitoring

1: PC - RAM  is the key ingredient for running your software. The more the better. Depending on how many tracks you intend to use and what you want to create the more RAM you have the less likely your programme will crash. However you can most likely get started on the PC you are using right now as you read this.

2: Your Software or DAW - is a personal choice. All I can recommend is that when you choose One whether it be Pro Tools, Sonar, Adobe, Cubase, FL or many others, the most important thing to do is spend the time to understand it completely before moving on to another one. Most DAW'S share many of the same tools. Understanding one will help you understand others in the future. You want to spend more time creating than trying to understand menu's and functions.

3: Audio Interface - This allows you to connect your mic, guitar, keyboard etc directly into your PC. It's the link between you and your Imagination.

4: Mic - Preferably a large diaphragm studio vocal condenser. Intially you can use this to record vocals or an instrument like acoustic guitar etc. Eventually you may want to expand and  obtain another mic allowing you to record both at the same time.

5: Monitoring - Whether it's a pair of closed back studio headphones or a pair of monitors this is where you get to listen to your creations whether playback or on the fly. I would recommend the headphones first as a more affordable way to begin as studio monitors are quite expensive and you should never sell yourself short on sound quality. Start Saving for those :)

One non essential piece of equipment but in my opinion a certainly desirable one is a midi keyboard. We will talk about those later.

You can pick up a decent Adio Interface for around $100.00, An excellent mic for around $100.00, Quality headphones for around $150.00,  Midi Keyboard ( 61 Key ) $150.00. In all instances you could pay less and of course a whole lot more.

Below: For around $250.00 this is an example of a cost effective way to get those creative juises running.

Presonus AudioBox Studio Bundle USB Audio Interface inc headphones microphone

2415qio.jpg

An even more affordable one at around $190.00

M-Audio Vocal Studio Pro Package w/ M-Track Recording Interface+Mic+Headphones

3097cc6.jpg

I will elaborate on and edit this post with pics and examples of equipment ideal for getting started in an affordable manner.

• Like 2

Been sequencing and composing now for the better part of 5 or 6 years, with the first two or three just with simple looping, and getting into more serious DAWs and MIDI these past 3 years.

DAW of choice: Steinburg Cubase on my main computer, Logic Pro on my MacBook, and FL Studio on my Surface Pro 2 (which is replacing my MacBook). For those who do not know, FL Studio is much more about looping patterns, and that makes excellent for composing some beats or melodies while on the go.

I use an M-Audio DAC when I want to import something for sampling, and for channel mixing and listening, I use an older and reliable as hell Behringer VMX 100, which is something I take for granted every day.

For earphones, I use NuForce NE-700X in-ears with triple flange tips. These are of audiophile grade, and are very affordable, squeaking in under $100 U.S. dollars for a pair- and this one has lasted me over a year. I recommend that you buy earphones with metal housing (usually aluminum), and if possible metal (titanium) drivers. The reason for this being that plastic has tendencies to give off holographic effects and be bad in terms of accurate sound reproduction.

Now most my music is electronic so I don't use a mic. In place of vocals, I usually use VOCALOID2 and VOCALOID3, when required.

Great to see this thread! :D

• Like 2

Free VST'S And VSTi sites.

VST plugins generally run within a digital audio workstation (DAW), to provide additional functionality. Most VST plugins are either instruments (VSTi) or effects, although other categories exist—for example spectrum analyzers and various meters. VST plugins usually provide a custom graphical user interface that displays controls similar to physical switches and knobs on audio hardware. Some (often older) plugins rely on the host application for their user interface.

VST instruments include software simulation emulations of well-known hardware synthesizers and samplers. These typically emulate the look of the original equipment as well as its sonic characteristics. This lets musicians and recording engineers use virtual versions of devices that otherwise might be difficult and expensive to obtain.

VST instruments receive notes as digital information via MIDI, and output digital audio. Effect plugins receive digital audio and process it through to their outputs. (Some effect plugins also accept MIDI input—for example MIDI sync to modulate the effect in sync with the tempo). MIDI messages can control both instrument and effect plugin parameters. Most host applications can route the audio output from one VST to the audio input of another VST (chaining). For example, output of a VST synthesizer can be sent through a VST reverb effect.

The list of links below will help you find loads of plugins, loops etc.

http://www.vst4free.com/

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/sampleradar-13154-free-sample-downloads-217833

http://free-loops.com/

http://www.kvraudio.com/

http://www.acapellas4u.co.uk/

http://freevst.blogspot.com.au/

http://music.tutsplus.com/articles/over-90-free-vst-effects-plugins--audio-3834

http://audiojungle.net/

http://www.plugins.gersic.com/

• Like 1

• Clan Friend

Linux lovers could check a distro called ArtistX, it can be used as a live dvd and has lots of stuff preinstalled (now Linux is not the best when it comes to this kind of software, maybe, since most vst plugins are Windows based)

On ArtistX I had some trouble running windows stuff via Wine (like some vst guitar effects), while they ran flawlessly on studio1337 (another music-oriented Linux distro based on Puppy Linux) maybe I missed something in the configuration of wineasio for the audio driver

• Like 2

Linux lovers could check a distro called ArtistX, it can be used as a live dvd and has lots of stuff preinstalled (now Linux is not the best when it comes to this kind of software, maybe, since most vst plugins are Windows based)

On ArtistX I had some trouble running windows stuff via Wine (like some vst guitar effects), while they ran flawlessly on studio1337 (another music-oriented Linux distro based on Puppy Linux) maybe I missed something in the configuration of wineasio for the audio driver

Very interesting. Had no idea what it was.

http://artistx.org/blog/

Thank you.

This YT Vid basically shows a list of free plugins and provides the links for them. Very very good!! Especially for guitarists.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I'm all Ableton Live. Ive been using it since '05 and I love it. Got lucky on my first DAW pick. I have produced music through it. DJed/mashups. Even scored a horrible feature length indie comedy movie in it. It does it all. The Akai APC 40 is a nice workstation interface for it, too. Not sure about the Push controller that came out this year, but I can share any knowledge that I have if you have specific questions. You'll end up using VSTs for synths once you get tired of that Ableton sound, but they have a bunch of nice synths and plugins in the DAW. 

Also, have been using a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 for a couple of years to get everything in the box with good results, and a Presonus TubePre 2 to warm things up sometimes. My first mic is still my go-to mic in a lot of situations, the Shure SM57. All around workhorse for $100. 

Yamaha NS10 monitors are the holy grail of monitors because they say if you can make it sound good on an NS10, you can make it sound good on anything. Unfortunately, they discontinued making them a while back, though you can still get some used. I have a pair of Yamaha Hm 50s at home and they work well. JBLs and KRKs are decent brands, too. 

• Like 1

Dug out my old PM G5, and I've been working on it for a few days now... today I spent some time in good ol' Logic Pro 8 (which is making me remember why this is my favourite DAW :P)

Put together some loops and did a bit of work in the Hyper Editor. Not much of a track, and definitely not my best work, at only maybe 15-20 minutes being put into it... but it's fun.

MP3 download here: Output 1-2.mp3

Specs of this old beast:

Dual CPU 2.0GHz G5 processors
1.5GB of DDR2 ram
2 x 250gb SATA HDDs.

It dates from 2005... now it is only an expensive space heater.

• Like 2

Been working with FL10 for a few years now, I love it but I've jumped over to Reaper and I can't get enough of it. Future industry standard some say. But for me it's perfect for line in..Guitars, Mic's etc. So that's what all future pieces will be done on. I'm using the Komplete Audio 6 as my interface. Here's a little project I was last doing on FL. I downloaded an Acapella to throw on it. It's unfinished and will probably stay that way for a while. I do see myself using FL for other purposes still.

Little Demo below was an experiment outside of my metal/rock interests.

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/n1sdp9d9nq1u2pf/Sheek.mp3

Keep Rockin.

• 2 weeks later...

Accumilated some software and other gear recently. Some programmes I'm having fun with.

Native Instruments

: Massive

: Elements

: FM8

: Guitar Rig 5

: Traktor 2

Toontrack

:EZ Drummer 2

:EZ Keys

:EZ mix with all expansions.

Also just purchased a new Bass Guitar, Electric Guitar, and 61Key Midi controller. Will get some pics up soon. New Electric guitar is insane.

edit: So this is the Infinity. Slight SG style body. I have had no luck getting any info on the manufacturer through the net. Found it on ebay for a price I couldn't refuse. I was a bit skeptical about the logo on the Headstock but I had to have it.  My main Guitar ( The Charvel ) has a Floyd rose and I wanted a second electric with a fixed bridge so I could change tuning on the spot. Anyway it's a neck thru, possibly Korean  was bought in Germany 10 years ago by the seller. I did find a little info and it seems the company no longer exists at least under the name Infinity. And most of these guitars were sold in Germany. Pickups seem pretty good. I'll give it a good long work out before even considering any mods on it.

2ih5p1j.jpg2w7r6g0.jpgaxd4x2.jpg11b6yqg.jpg281d7o7.jpgrgwa5z.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Testing out my gear. Wanted to record something with all instruments and use a mastering tool. So this is the solo from GNR's version of Knocking On Heavans Door. Def room for improvement..playing and recording but pleased that when I do my own stuff I'll be getting somewhere. hopefully enjoy.

edit: I just pulled out a drum beat from EZ Drummer. And then played.

1.Clean Guitar

2.Rhythm Guitar

3.Guitar Solo

4 Bass

5.Keyboard

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/qh20orzdyc8pqdi/GNRsoloKOHD.wav

• Like 3