3 million lost souls still trapped in AOL dial-up hell

Corey

AOL Dial Up

Thankfully, most Internet users haven’t been forced to hear the words “Wel-come! You’ve got mail!” when they log onto the Web for at least a decade now. But Dan Fromer at SplatF has combed through AOL’s (AOL) second-quarter earnings report and found that AOL still provides dial-up service to roughly 3 million subscribers. Granted, that number is a big drop from AOL’s halcyon days when it counted more than 25 million subscribers and was sending around soon-to-be-coasterized AOL installation CDs with reckless abandon. But even so, who exactly is still stuck on AOL dial up these days, and can we organize a satellite service rescue charity to help these poor suckers out?

Read

Image source: Flickr user Gilgongo

dfC4wCU3cnU

View the full article

• Leader

I got it for free for about 4 years thanks to those CDs. Remember all the .wav files? I think I still have some of them on disk.

You could have replaced the “Wel-come! You’ve got mail!”.WAV with a file of your own, at least on the Floppy Version, I do know.

Imagine replacing the AOL wav files on the 'normal AOL user' system! :?: :?: :?:

ADDED: for those of you who need a copy of the original, or just want to relive your youth:

http://newmail.monst...c/gotmail00.wav

Edited by RedBaird

wow...I still remember picking aol over compuserve and prodigy...way back in 94 o_O

must be a bunch of farmers and ranchers with no other choice