Arrest half the world: More than 50% of computer users pirate software, study finds

Corey

In many countries (such as Canada or Germany), downloading is not illegal. You can download anything you want, as long as you don't: Share it with others; don't use the software unlicensed in these countries. Music is the same. As long as you are not sharing it, it is not illegal. Even more interesting, in Germany distributing music is illegal unless you record it on the radio. copies of music made from the radio, distributed on the radio is 100% legal. Strange, eh?

Hmm, here in Belgium it's illegal to download AND upload illegal stuff.

But, most people download via torrents, and most people don't know you upload at the same time you download.

In some countries, for example the Netherlands, downloading of music and videos is allowed for private usage. However, for software that is not the case. Not even downloading.

Besides, this topic is about using illegal software, which is illegal in most European countries if I recall correctly.

I can get software from the university too. But get real; how much software do you really need?

In my case, I run Windows (W7Ult, bought myself), 1 game (CoD4, legal), I have Visual studio (free from MSDN:AA, otherwise I would use the express edition) and a lot of freeware projects (mainly for developing). And the apps that aren't free, well, I chose them over freeware, then I'm prepared to pay for it. And I just don't use software if I don't want to pay for it, e.g. MS Office (waiting for the new one...)

There is, for me, no excuse to use software if you don't want to pay for it. I always hate it when people buy a 1000$ machine and don't spend 200$ on software, like software is free to develop.

And no, I'm not poor, although more money would be appreciated. I'm willing to pay for good stuff. I spend over 8 hours a day behind a computer, day after day, I bought Win7Ult 2.5 years ago, that 200E (or something) was a lot, but it was totally worth it. Same for the FA servers by the way (*wink* *wink*).

And if it's not you delete it? Or only use it occasionally. Because don't forget, the last one happens a lot too. "Well, this product is great, but I'll not pay xx$ for it".

It is very simple. The companies say a price, and either you agree or you don't. For scientific projects, I hope you have connections to use it otherwise (e.g., at a university), or you just don't agree to use it.

About dvd regions, I agree it's useless, but it's very easy to avoid as well. I know where to get dvds/blu-rays from the correct region for a reasonable price (5~10E, depending on how good a movie is), and even then I know cheaper spots where the dvd region does not match. I doubt

You say that none of the money goes to the developer, but a lot of the money is (obviously) in profit. Why profit? Because it's a risky investment. Not all games break even, and the good games compensate for the bad games, such that new revolutionizing games can and will be made.

Fourth, 60 billion, I used to think that that was absolutely wrong. Yet, globally, that is about 20$ for each pc user in the world. Compared to the price of a pc (400$), if you can buy the first, you can buy the second as well. Right, pc lasts for ages, yet the 60B is annually. Let's say a pc lasts 3 years, it's 60$ per pc user, that is one pc game in 3 years. Yes, it's a lot, yes, especially in developing countries, but it will not be far from wrong.

Believe me, I know how much effort there is needed to create decent software.

But, sometimes, it's just overpriced. (Photoshop for example)

And I must say, I've got quite some expensive programs running on my 1500$ laptop.

If I also had to pay for those programs (so, if I wouldn't get them via my university), I'd have to spend +2000$, which is pretty expensive.

Also, you can't get Windows 7 via Academic Allience? I'm running free, legal windows 7 professional via MSDN

I got Windows 7 before I got access to MSDN:AA ;) Well, not exactly, but I couldn't get to MSDN:AA at that time (different university). The only thing I got from MSDN:AA is VS, and I would get Office if it was on it, but, well, it isn't :P

And yes, Photoshop is indeed overpriced; for me! But I don't use it, I can't. I thought Photoshop was about 600E, which is indeed a lot if you use it to modify a few home-made pictures of your girlfriend, but if you use it extensively you see the value of it, and you pay.

There have been a few cases when I've bought software on Ebay that was supposidly legit, but clearly was not when I received it. However, in two cases I was able to buy legit (chanced ebay again), shrink-wrapped, boxed upgrades to the illegal softwares. Both programs are now running legally on my system. Upgrades are typically cheaper than the base product, so if you do have illegal software and you want to make them legal, this may be an option.

I got Windows 7 before I got access to MSDN:AA ;) Well, not exactly, but I couldn't get to MSDN:AA at that time (different university). The only thing I got from MSDN:AA is VS, and I would get Office if it was on it, but, well, it isn't :P

And yes, Photoshop is indeed overpriced; for me! But I don't use it, I can't. I thought Photoshop was about 600E, which is indeed a lot if you use it to modify a few home-made pictures of your girlfriend, but if you use it extensively you see the value of it, and you pay.

No idea how to interpret that :D

And you're somehow right, if you really use it, pay it.

And if you don't really need it, just don't buy it.

But still, I can understand not everybody has enough money.

^^@Eye: officially you need a legal base product to be allowed for the upgrade. On the other hand, Microsoft (used to) offer Windows cheaper to people who already run a pirated version, so it is for some companies a bit less strict.

edit because asp interrupted me :P

Edited by rolf

And if it's not you delete it? Or only use it occasionally. Because don't forget, the last one happens a lot too. "Well, this product is great, but I'll not pay xx$ for it".

Any software that was not good, I've deleted. My operating system came from my school.

I use linux now, and only run free software. Wasn't always the case. I pirated winbloze, office and photoshop for years. Mostly because with 4 kids, wife, and an annual income of around 18,000 usd (15,000 e) I had neither a pot or a window. I did buy BF3 for like 60 bucks, and played it for all of 3 months before uninstalling winbloze. C'est la vie.

I do have, and will not remove, an extensive collection of movies, tv series, and music (around 5 TB). I have now acquired Netflix and Spotify, so my conscience is clear.

Open-source free software ftw :D

**screw MSVS, vim rox!**

I use linux now, and only run free software. Wasn't always the case. I pirated winbloze, office and photoshop for years. Mostly because with 4 kids, wife, and an annual income of around 18,000 usd (15,000 e) I had neither a pot or a window. I did buy BF3 for like 60 bucks, and played it for all of 3 months before uninstalling winbloze. C'est la vie.

I do have, and will not remove, an extensive collection of movies, tv series, and music (around 5 TB). I have now acquired Netflix and Spotify, so my conscience is clear.

Open-source free software ftw :D

**screw MSVS, vim rox!**

which one? linux mint?

We must not forget that Microsoft started out as an IBM Software Piracy a ... Which is still using on their PCs, for performing a test, delete the folder and COMMAND OF WINDOWS (XP, VISTA, 7 and 8) and try to use again or use nLite and create your installation disk without these items and see what happens!

Shifting focus, depends from country to country, because here in Brazil there is a Statement of encouragement and even RETIREES where students can acquire a Windows license for U.S. $ 112.00 or $ 67, through a business called MP LAW .

Greetings

Márcio

Ceo.