Death of a HP, any chance I can fix this cheaply?!

Phil-O

Heya,

Unfortunately I'm not much of a computer geek. My HP Pavilion dv6-DB55SG (i7-2670QM, Radeon HD 6770M) has troubled me with its incredibly noisy fan and heat emission since I bought it, but I never really did anything to change that. It also had some driver issues because HP was being lazy, so I got a few blue screens from time to time but they stopped at some point. All in all, I just got used to it and tried cleaning the dust out best as I could. It was far from perfect, but OK given I only spent 670€ on it. Now, 3,5 year later, it refuses to boot.

I am currently looking at buying something new that's much better emission-wise, but not strictly a business laptop since I need a GPU that can play ET and some other games (not the newest), and that could go a relatively long way. However that means spending around 1250€, and since I'm a poor endebted student who just decided to get married next year, the money's kinda tight. So before I spend it, I wanna make sure I can't get the HP to work for another year or so.

What happens now:

- The screen just goes dark during the boot, and after a few minutes there's a blue screen for just a split second before he laptop switches off (and automatically on again). Best I could do was get to log on in my windows user account but then it froze before it was entirely done loading the desktop, I had to manually switch it off because nothing happend anymore.

- It DOES boot in the safe mode, and I could salvage all my data. However it DOES NOT boot when I select safe mode with network drivers.

What had happened before:

About 3 months ago I spilled some beer on the keyboard, the keyboard stopped working. I bought one on ebay and replaced it, cleaning everything up well. I don't think it was much of a spill, but of course I can't say whether it affected other hardware components.

After that it worked, but Blue screens/freezes became rather regular. Also, the network (wireless) crashed and then the computer froze. My Laptop has a LED on the wireless-Key, and that LED started flickering crazily alternating in white/red. Not sure if it has to do with

- the beer causing damage

- perhaps a sub-par re-assembly/cable connection of hardware that I had to undo in order to replace the keyboard

- or maybe some software or drivers that I installed since? I haven't installed any drivers recently, at least not consciously. Software: not really, either.

So far I've done a memory and harddisk test in BIOS (both results OK), that's about all I am able to do.

The blue screen bcmwl664.sys came up a few days/weeks ago, apologies for the bad quality pic, my phone lense is scratched.

post-13849-0-27994500-1444222055_thumb.jpg

The other one (atikmpag.sys) is much older, that was before the beer spilling. But I just had it again when trying to reboot!

post-13849-0-25676700-1444222034_thumb.jpg

Can anybody help with ideas/clues/explanations? I'd much appreciate it!

Best

Phil-O

Done that, but nothing happens / it crashes after a while. Will try that again now to tell you exactly what happens.

Thanks!

Edit: Anyway I have restored the system to an earlier point (25th of September, it wouldn't let me go further back in time). Still, screen freezes when booting (Windows logo, "Windows is starting up"), but nothing happens except the fan goes absolutely bonkers :( Then it automatically resets after a few minutes, and asks me whether i'd like to boot normally or with assistance.

Maybe still some moisture in it..let is sit in a warm area for a day..or use a blow dryer very carefully..you also said was problem booting in safe mode with network drivers enabled..maybe problem there..

• Like 2

Maybe your MBR got screwed up. That is your Master Boot Record on your hard drive, you can try to put a Windows/linux ISO on a memory stick (using Rufus) and try a clean install.

• Like 1

Maybe still some moisture in it..let is sit in a warm area for a day..or use a blow dryer very carefully..you also said was problem booting in safe mode with network drivers enabled..maybe problem there..

The incident with the beer spill was 3 months ago! So moisture isn't the problem.

Maybe your MBR got screwed up. That is your Master Boot Record on your hard drive, you can try to put a Windows/linux ISO on a memory stick (using Rufus) and try a clean install.

Master Boot Record... never heard of :D OK so basically doing a clean reinstall (I'd do it from DVD) is my last hope, first let me collect ideas and see if I can do anything else.

Thank you both!

• Like 1

Np m8!, btw its always handy to have a Linux live around. You can download a linux version (like Mint, or Ubuntu) free from the internet, make a bootable usb stick (about 4Gig). And when your computer crashes, you can boot from your USB stick and at least access your hard drive to save some files onto another stick or external hard drive. It saved me once, when my trusted Dell laptop died on me. I couldn't get into my Windows any more because the harddisk partly failed. It all seems very difficult but when you get the hang of it its pretty easy and it can get you out of a very sticky situation ;)http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

• Like 3

Just did another system restore, this time the one that resets the laptop to the factory settings. What changed: the boot message was now in English instead of German, and the Wireless-LED was shining in white, so that looked hopeful. However then the screen turned black again :'(

Np m8!, btw its always handy to have a Linux live around. You can download a linux version (like Mint, or Ubuntu) free from the internet, make a bootable usb stick (about 4Gig). And when your computer crashes, you can boot from your USB stick and at least access your hard drive to save some files onto another stick or external hard drive. It saved me once, when my trusted Dell laptop died on me. I couldn't get into my Windows any more because the harddisk partly failed. It all seems very difficult but when you get the hang of it its pretty easy and it can get you out of a very sticky situation ;)http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Hm yeah I might do that next time! This time 'round I was able to save all data since it does boot in safe mode.

Again, Safe Mode with Networking does NOT work - could that be hinting at a hardware problem with the Network component? And if so what could I do?

Again, Safe Mode with Networking does NOT work - could that be hinting at a hardware problem with the Network component? And if so what could I do?

If you did the factory reset then it's not your MBR that's the problem, that's for sure.

From what you're saying, the system freezing on boot, and your cpu fan going nuts. It definitely sounds like it's hardware related.

If you're concerned that the problem might be the onboard NIC, then boot in safe mode, go to the device manager, and disable the Network Adapter.

If it still crashes after that then chances are it's not your network card.

• Like 1

If you did the factory reset then it's not your MBR that's the problem, that's for sure.

From what you're saying, the system freezing on boot, and your cpu fan going nuts. It definitely sounds like it's hardware related.

If you're concerned that the problem might be the onboard NIC, then boot in safe mode, go to the device manager, and disable the Network Adapter.

If it still crashes after that then chances are it's not your network card.

I'd love to do that. Only, I fear I shot myself a beautiful own goal.

Because I did the factory reset, I cannot get into the safe mode: it says the installation can't be completed in the safe mode :censored

So now I'm completely stuck.

What next? -> Come back with a Win7-DVD and try to reinstall from scratch?

What next? -> Come back with a Win7-DVD and try to reinstall from scratch?

Sounds like that's about all you can do at this point. Hopefully that doesn't go wrong lol.

• Like 1

bcmwl664.sys --> related at your broadcom 802.11g network driver.

atikmpag.sys --> related at your AMD\ATI driver.

First download the latest drivers matching both devices according your hardware and Os version. Also download this tool DDU.

Uninstall your network driver and re-install the update previously downloaded. Once done reboot.

Now, make sure Windows Update is enabled. Press the Windows key+R key. In the search box type: services.msc. Scroll down until the Windows Update service and see if it's on "Automatic". If it's the case then it's ok, otherwise set it on "Auto".

Unzip DDU and launch it (you will be prompted to reboot in safe mode. click yes). Once in safe mode, select in the box the AMD\ATI driver and uninstall it with the recommanded option.

After the auto-reboot, install your ATI\AMD update previously downloaded. Once again reboot.

Now, open the Prompt Command with admin rights. Here, type this: sfc /scannow

Still In the Prompt Command, type this: chkdsk /f C: .You will be prompted to perform a check disk at the next reboot. Accept then reboot.

• Like 3

bcmwl664.sys --> related at your broadcom 802.11g network driver.

atikmpag.sys --> related at your AMD\ATI driver.

First download the latest drivers matching both devices according your hardware and Os version. Also download this tool&DDU.

Uninstall your network driver and re-install the update previously downloaded. Once done reboot.

Now, make sure Windows Update is enabled. Press the Windows key+R key. In the search box type: services.msc. Scroll down until the Windows Update service and see if it's on "Automatic". If it's the case then it's ok, otherwise set it on "Auto".

Unzip DDU and launch it (you will be prompted to reboot in safe mode. click yes). Once in safe mode, select in the box the AMD\ATI driver and uninstall it with the recommanded option.

After the auto-reboot, install your ATI\AMD update previously downloaded. Once again reboot.

Now, open the Prompt Command with admin rights. Here, type this: sfc /scannow

Still In the Prompt Command, type this: chkdsk /f C:.You will be prompted to perform a check disk at the next reboot. Accept then reboot.

Thanks for that very detailed description! I'm just not sure how I can uninstall and re-install the drivers, because I cannot access Windows at all. Previously I could at least boot the safe mode, but since I restored the factory settings even that won't work...

... or did I miss anything?! Is there a way to uninstall drivers without booting to windows, or did you mean booting with the Windows-DVD?

And one more question - in case it turns out to be a hardware fault, could the network card simply be replaced? In case it's the GPU it's unpleasant but OK, I still have an onboard intel graphics. It's no good for playing ET, but the main thing is to get the thing going again...

This is the description, unfortunately it's in German and I don't think it is very detailed, but perhaps it helps: http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/hp+pavilion+dv6+6b55sg+gaming+knaller

Many Thanks again!

What happens now:

- The screen just goes dark during the boot, and after a few minutes there's a blue screen for just a split second before he laptop switches off (and automatically on again). Best I could do was get to log on in my windows user account but then it froze before it was entirely done loading the desktop, I had to manually switch it off because nothing happend anymore.

- It DOES boot in the safe mode, and I could salvage all my data. However it DOES NOT boot when I select safe mode with network drivers.

What had happened before:

About 3 months ago I spilled some beer on the keyboard, the keyboard stopped working. I bought one on ebay and replaced it, cleaning everything up well. I don't think it was much of a spill, but of course I can't say whether it affected other hardware components.

After that it worked, but Blue screens/freezes became rather regular. Also, the network (wireless) crashed and then the computer froze. My Laptop has a LED on the wireless-Key, and that LED started flickering crazily alternating in white/red. Not sure if it has to do with

- the beer causing damage

- perhaps a sub-par re-assembly/cable connection of hardware that I had to undo in order to replace the keyboard

- or maybe some software or drivers that I installed since? I haven't installed any drivers recently, at least not consciously. Software: not really, either.

So far I've done a memory and harddisk test in BIOS (both results OK), that's about all I am able to do.

Spilling anything other than water generally wrecks havoc on electronics. Water shorts electrical components, but with beer, soda, etc you have added mineral content, sugars, etc, which is not pretty.

So I went ahead and checked on HP's forums and enterprise support section and found some tips for you to try. With HP's UEFI/BIOS, a faulty NIC could indeed cause a failure to POST. :rolleyes:

The card should be replaceable, but first we need to disable it to make sure it is indeed the problem.

When you turn on your notebook computer, press and hold down F10 to enter the "Setup Utility" or BIOS. I'm unsure as to where exactly the setting is, but you will want to want to turn your Wireless/WLAN/Wi-Fi OFF. This is the hardware (physical) control, and not the software (wireless soft button) control. Let's see if that helps.

You should also be able to pull the NIC on the DV6 models. It is a mini-PCIe card and should be right under the service door. There will be two gold-plated connectors with cables attached to it that you will want to pull off (be gentle, and pull straight up). Then you'll want to unscrew the single screw securing it, and pull the card out similar to replacing a DIMM. Leave it out until you get a replacement that has an HP part number.

• Like 2

The blue screen bcmwl664.sys came up a few days/weeks ago, apologies for the bad quality pic, my phone lense is scratched.

The other one (atikmpag.sys) is much older, that was before the beer spilling. But I just had it again when trying to reboot!

this

You said you can't boot in safe mode with network. So try to boot in safe mode without the latter and uninstall it or disable through device manager (Windows key+R key and type: devmgmt.msc). This might fix a first issue (BSOD) and give you a chance to boot like in the past days. In case of success, apply whole of the process I gave you in my previous post.

I'm convinced issue comes from your network device according lags and all the last probs you got and described. Fix the latter might allow you to fix then all the rest.

Edited by Ann!b@l
  • Like 1