F*$#&$'ing G500 Mouse Cord Breaking

TulsaGeoff

If you have played on ET Hardcore the past couple weeks, you may have heard me bitching about my g500's cord being broken. This will be the fourth logitech g5/g500 mouse cord I've had this happen to. The mouse will disconnect for anywhere between 1-15 seconds before it reconnects. There is a good chance I could soldier the wires back but I don't have a soldiering iron and there is no guarantee that would fix the problem. In the past I've bought new mice every 2 years or so and treated these as a cost of gaming since this occurs outside of the warranty window...

Well I just saw on eBay they sell a replacement cord complete with female adapter so it is just a simple plug and play solution. For $9.50 shipped, its a much better deal than having to pay $60 for a new mouse. Just search for "g500 cable" or whatever model on eBay. With it shipping from China, there will be at least a 10 day shipping time. Hopefully this cable is the answer to remedy my mice breaking. I'll post an update whenever I receive the cable. I just thought I'd post because I know that I'm not the only one having issues with Logitech's cords breaking.

$(KGrHqRHJBYFHKZ0oeO8BR412cTFSQ~~60_3.JP

Ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-High-quality-logitech-G500-G5-mouse-USB-cable-USB-mouse-Line-/281136446143?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417509babf

I'm doing the same thing for my G9x. $15 for a new cord, and new feet, shipped over from China.

Inside the plastic grommet that the cord goes through, I had a wire break. The cord got stuck between my desk and wall a few times, and the tugging motion weakened it. (Logitech also didn't use any kind of 'S' curve to absorb shock... just the wire itself.

But $15 to fix a $50 mouse, that now is selling for $100 is worth it in my case. I believe the G500 is discontinued as well, and has been replaced by the G500s.

Yeah of course with the new version of the g500 they raised the price... Post whenever you get your replacement. I'd be interested to hear how it turns out. It may be a good idea to do a S curve like you said inside the mouse with a rubber band. 

• Leader

And I thought that I had a heavy hand on my G500, which was an interim mouse while waiting for replacement feet for my Razer (and haven't fixed yet).

Thanks for the fixit tip.

A broken cord is covered under their 3 year warranty. IF you have the original invoice/receipt, OR can get a copy from the retailer (some are saved in order history online)

Contact Logitech, and they can help you with the warranty process in a few emails. Let them know the problems you're experiencing, they'll respond with a chesklist of things to test/do, and let them know your results. I knew mine was a broken cord, as I took it apart to see for myself, but from the results of their tests, they decided to replace the mouse, instead of repair it, and he told me I can keep my old mouse, and I don't have to send it back. At that point I decided $15 for new feet and a new cord was worth getting a few more years out of the G9x. I contacted them on November 1st, and today being November 11th, I have received my replacement mouse.

This is the cord for the G9x:

post-4795-0-99995200-1384211044_thumb.jpg

As you can see, it's pretty much identical to your cord, in that it's just a simple 4 wire USB, with the same/similar white connector to the board inside the mouse.

The difference, is that my mouse has a plastic grommet that is sealed around the wire, and that snaps into the mouse body. The problem is that it puts all stress inside the plastic grommet.

If your mouse is a simple cord through hole, you might be able to tie a knot in the cord if you have the length, or try to get an S curve around some standoffs, but bear in mind, the S curve will still put all stress on that single point. The best way to prevent the problem from happening, is to never let your cord get pinched or bound up anywhere.

Same issue here with my G400 though I will say I have beat the crap out this mouse since I got it. Starting to get the random disconnects, I have pulled on the wire in every direction to see if it is that, but it doesnt do nothing so I'm thinking its the mouse starting to go.

I would contact them immediately. It takes a few days, but they do make good on their warranty if you can prove you actually bought it from a good retailer.

In some cases they'll let you keep your old mouse so you can toss it, or repair it to use as a backup..

Submitted a  request via their website, will update when I hear from them. Didn't even know the G400S http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g400s-optical-gaming-mouse is out, hope they can send this out  as a replacement, if not this will be what I purchase for a replacement, the mouse just feels great in my hand, will hate to use something else.

Submitted a  request via their website, will update when I hear from them. Didn't even know the G400S http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g400s-optical-gaming-mouse is out, hope they can send this out  as a replacement, if not this will be what I purchase for a replacement, the mouse just feels great in my hand, will hate to use something else.

They might also offer you a choice... I was given a choice between the G500s and G600. I took the g500s.

• Like 1

Thanx m8, good info. broked also 3pcs g500 and now I have shorten and soldered 2 times curret one cable. Need to have a look if seller do post in europe and sending costs also.

Masa_1964

P.S ordered 3 pcs :) Thx

Thanx m8, good info. broked also 3pcs g500 and now I have shorten and soldered 2 times curret one cable. Need to have a look if seller do post in europe and sending costs also.

Masa_1964

P.S ordered 3 pcs :) Thx

That's the good thing about Ebay sellers from China. They will usually ship anywhere in the world :D It takes a little longer, but its worth the wait for most of the items.

• Like 1

Mouse cord just arrived. Installing it now. I'll EDIT/UPDATE as it progresses.

EDIT/UPDATE: Cord was correct length inside the mouse to reach the connector, fit properly into the cord channels, no problems with the installation.

Reassembling now.

EDIT/UPDATE: New cord is about 4" longer than the original, measured from mouse to USB connector.

And fixed. Seems 100% operational. No disconnections yet.

$15 and I fixed my broken mouse. $10 for the cord, $5 for new gliders, since I took the old ones off to access the screws)

• Like 1

It will take 60 minutes or less to do, depending on your experience with taking things apart. Masa, you should be closer to 15 minutes since you have some good mechanical knowledge and experience.

Look on youtube for a video about your mouse, and it will give hints and tips on the easiest way to take it apart.

I now have 2 Logitech gaming mice, G9x, and G500s, both with adjustable dpi, running through the same Logitech software. I have set all my dpi points the same on both mice, and when I adjust the dpi on one, it changes it on the other also. So while playing, I can switch between both mice, and the only thing different is the shape of the mouse.

Definitely worth the investment for a new cord :D

• Like 2