Who Are Your Idols?

BoomStick

Simple question, really. Who are the people (living/dead) that you idolize in your lives? Those people that you look up to and admire.

Stephen Fry would be one of mine. He is probably one of the funniest, smartest and brilliant people I have ever come across and, annoyingly, I narrowly missed missing him, as he was in my city filming a cameo for a local TV show called Ros na Rún.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgL802oG7-k[/media] (he appears about 0:52 seconds in)

I could genuinely post dozens of videos about this guy, but I can't as I know there's a limit in the first post, so I'll leave with his discussion on religion (he is an outspoken gay Atheist)

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEhtOhwL8xk[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Scroobius Pip would be another person that I would really look up to. I first encountered his music back in 2009, when he released the excellent

with Dan le Sac. Since then, I have seen them perform twice in concert and each time I was absolutely blown away by how good they are. Probably one of my personal favourite songs of theirs is
. Last year he released his solo album called, Distraction Pieces, which features so many amazing songs, including the excellent

Terry Pratchett would probably be my last idol. For anyone who hasn't heard of him, he is up there with the greatest fantasy writers in my own opinion. His Discworld series, which so far includes 39 books, have created an entire world that is full of magic and comedy, with some of the greatest literary characters, including Sam Vimes, Rincewind, and Captain Carrot. Probably what makes Pratchett more amazing is the fact that he was recently diagnosed with a form of Alzheimer's and yet he still writes and publishes books, though sometimes he can't even hold up a biro.

So, those are my idols. Who are yours?

Not really an idol, but I'm a big fan of Aaron Sorkin (writer of Sports Night, The West Wing, A Few Good Men, The Social Network, The American President, Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip and The Newsroom). I love his dialogue.

• Like 1

Ah you did indeed. My eyes are banjaxed lately so I missed that.

Remember listening to an interview of his with the movie critic, Mark Kermode, and he came across as a really nice person too. Very witty.

Ellen DeGeneres, Oprah Winfrey, Ellie Goulding :] Love them! Oh, and don't forget my Amy ;D

liar, that amy woman is your wife.

You said, you weren't a fan of here...

I don't idolize anyone, but i certainly look up to my dad because of his success in raising his family and his success in his career. I always saw him treat people with respect, never have seen him fight with anyone, including my mother. I think that is why after 16 years of marriage my kids have never seen their parents fight. I use his life as a benchmark for my own.

As for strangers that I see on TV or the Internet; I may agree with them, or enjoy their talent, but I would never idolize them.