Philosophy Month of July

kristy

14 members have voted

1. 1. How will you-personally-get out of this labyrinth of suffering?

• Straight and fast. (Suicide)
    • Build my own little bubble and ignore everything except what makes me happy
    • There is no way out of the Labyrinth
    • What the f*** is the Labyrinth of suffering?
    • Don't give a shit.
    • Weed and beer.
    • Forgive.

Here is a question for you to mull over for this month:

Simon Bolivar, when he lay dying, was reputed to have said:

Damn! How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!

Meaning: How will I ever get out of this labyrinth of suffering?

John Green, in his book "Looking for Alaska" (where I got this question from. Great book, btw. Read it.), says that the only way out of the labyrinth is to forgive.

What are your thoughts? I'm curious as to see how you think about this.

Hmm, well, there doesn't seem to be much of a clear premise here to expatiate upon. If it's meant to be "we're trapped in a labyrinth of suffering (life), therefore..." then I'm not sure I'd grant that as true to begin with.

Good question, thanks for sharing Kristy.

I think the labyrinth represents life's numerous choices that when laid out represent a pattern of our existence. In my dying days I think I would reflect on it as a whole. But the labyrinth doesn't stop until we stop making decisions so how do you reflect when each choice you make is a new path? (ie…deciding choice x was good…y was bad and hurt others changes your opinion of yourself but it is a continuous loop).

John Green has a good point because if we forgive ourselves and don’t reflect we end at peace and accept what happens next.

Not exactly sure to what does that labyrinth refer, if it's a metaphor for life, I'd say life shouldn't be consisted of suffering, at least not to a point where you consider you are trapped in it and can't get out.

Well, like i said a few minutes a go to some parthners... Everything in life is an opportunity, good things will lead to success, the bad, let you learn, depends on one and see things and how to take advantage of opportunities ...

So, if you want to live in a drama, you will get your drama, if you want to live happy, you will... all depends if you want to get out of that laberynt or stay there...

"Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone" ...Ella W. Wilcox

greetings...peace.

The Buddha postulated that all life is suffering and the only way to break the cycle of suffering is to free yourself from desire, or attachment; hatred, or aversion; and ignorance, or illusion.