Beginning of the end of the war on drugs?

Chuckun

In days, we could finally see the beginning of the end of the ‘war on drugs’. This expensive war has completely failed to curb the plague of drug addiction, while costing countless lives, devastating communities, and funneling trillions of dollars into violent organized crime networks.

Experts all agree that the most sensible policy is to regulate, but politicians are afraid to touch the issue. In days, a global commission including former heads of state and foreign policy chiefs of the UN, EU, US, Brazil, Mexico and more will break the taboo and publicly call for new approaches including decriminalization and regulation of drugs.

This could be a once-in-a-generation tipping-point moment -- if enough of us call for an end to this madness. Politicians say they understand that the war on drugs has failed, but claim the public isn't ready for an alternative. Let's show them we not only accept a sane and humane policy -- we demand it. Sign the petition and share with everyone --if we reach 1 million voices, it will be personally delivered to world leaders by the global commission.

For 50 years current drug policies have failed everyone, everywhere but public debate is stuck in the mud of fear and misinformation. Everyone, even the UN Office on Drugs and Crime which is responsible for enforcing this approach agrees -- deploying militaries and police to burn drug farms, hunting down traffickers, and imprisoning dealers and addicts – is an expensive mistake. And with massive human cost -- from Afghanistan, to Mexico, to the USA the illegal drug trade is destroying countries around the world, while addiction, overdose deaths, and HIV/AIDS infections continue to rise.

Meanwhile, countries with less-harsh enforcement -- like Switzerland, Portugal, the Netherlands, and Australia -- have not seen the explosion in drug use that proponents of the drug war have darkly predicted. Instead, they have seen significant reductions in drug-related crime, addiction and deaths, and are able to focus squarely on dismantling criminal empires.

Powerful lobbies still stand in the way of change, including military, law enforcement, and prison departments whose budgets are at stake. And politicians fear that voters will throw them out of office if they support alternative approaches, as they will appear weak on law and order. But many former drug Ministers and Heads of State have come out in favour of reform since leaving office, and polls show that citizens across the world know the current approach is a catastrophe. Momentum is gathering towards new improved policies, particularly in regions that are ravaged by the drug trade.

If we can create a worldwide outcry in the next few days to support the bold calls of the Global Commission on Drug Policy, we can overpower the stale excuses for the status quo. Our voices hold the key to change -- Sign the petition and spread the word.

We have a chance to enter the closing chapter of this brutal 'war' that has destroyed millions of lives. Global public opinion will determine if this catastrophic policy is stopped or if politicians shy away from reform. Let's rally urgently to push our hesitating leaders from doubt and fear, over the edge, and into reason.

http://avaaz.org/en/end_the_war_on_drugs_b/

Doesn't matter. Not gonna happen anyway, there is way too much money being made in the US to end the drug war. Trillions of dollars. Plus you have to consider that the US gov used to fund drug cartels in South America because they were against the dictators. I don't see why a 180 change would happen without some major overhaul of our economic system.

I am all for legalization, I feel that no one has the right to tell me what I can and cannot put into my own body.

Well the US/UN/EU are all beginning to realise that the war has already failed, and looking at statistics from countries where substances are decriminalised, they see less organised crime, and better overall wealth due to taxing ;)

begining of the end??????????why have they work out a way of taxing it and selling it themselves.

the end,my arse.

by the way i only read the first line of the quote chuckun :yahoo:blink:

Well if you read it all maybe you'll understand why it may be possible now. ;)

Sign the petition and put the heat on.

i dont think its as black and white as your quote tries to make it out to be,im not against drugs but i detest smack heads etc.i would be very wary to be in a situation where my kids could get drugs readily available and legal,fuk knows how that would work and how strong they would be,you will never remove drugs from being "underground" altogether,there will allways be something for people to take that isnt legal,thats half the buzz,even if you dont realise it.

i love a bit of a jolly when im out but i have had too many friends succomb to the evils of drugs,some still alive,probably,most not.

i dont think its as black and white as your quote tries to make it out to be,im not against drugs but i detest smack heads etc.i would be very wary to be in a situation where my kids could get drugs readily available and legal,fuk knows how that would work and how strong they would be,you will never remove drugs from being "underground" altogether,there will allways be something for people to take that isnt legal,thats half the buzz,even if you dont realise it.

i love a bit of a jolly when im out but i have had too many friends succomb to the evils of drugs,some still alive,probably,most not.

Pedro, I'm fortunate enough to know what you're on about since I live in UK also.

The only reason we have "smackheads" is because they get drawn into a addictive cycle that they can't break out of.

They get a high, get more money to get a bigger high and thats how it rolls for the smackers.

The reason that the drugs you get off the street now are because they're cut with w/e has a similar appearance, texture, smell, and taste to blend it in. Its these impurities that contain things like NaOH, P^5, etc.

If the gov. can sell/provide the same high quality narcs. for the same (if not less price), it will immolate crime, as well as reduce deaths from using these drugs.

Smack, as I am lead to believe is injected, and b/c you literally cannot get distilled water like you can get as easily as other countries (go into a supermarket and get some consumer distilled thats NOT de-ionised water), smack heads end up using crap like toilet water, sparkling water, etc which can do shit like pulmonary embolisms, etc. Citric acid is also hard to get, and they end up buying descaler which is only 50% citric acid and 50% phosphate based compounds and emulsifiers.

Get real to what's happening, cocaine/smack/(w/e), used to be a fashionable social elite thing, which gets undermined to supply a lower end social class. The government are trying to simply bury it with shit-loads of propaganda (places teach stuff like walk away from fag ends/condoms/syringes at year 5/6 from gov. rep.)***cough*** 1984 ****cough****, this is pushing the curious, rich and downright stupid into dealing with drug dealers who sell at riduculous prices at drain the NHS for god-knows how much.

If we start taxating shit like this and provide it to ourselves (albeit in limited doses and whatnot to prevent cutting and resale), we can pay debts off quicker, reduce fuel taxating to encourage greater spending....

Also, don't forget, they could still ban the injection of substances. Legalise heroin but carry a serious sentence for injecting.. Would prevent people using dirty needles, and spreading hep, aids, etc..

Also, don't forget, they could still ban the injection of substances. Legalise heroin but carry a serious sentence for injecting.. Would prevent people using dirty needles, and spreading hep, aids, etc..

Easier to exchange new for old needles instead. To be honest, drugs are illegal anyway, to a addict, what's the difference between breaking two laws? Plus, people claim to get better highs and faster ones, for obvious reasons, outlawing won't do anything. Moreover, do you want to encourage sufflation? Would increase ODs...

I believe you can already get no-reusable syringes but don't quote me, once plunger is depressed, it won't come back up.

Gov. would probably go down this route by selling pre-soluted syringes. Best solution so far, subcutaneous i would imagine though.

MEMO TO SELF: get off forums and start revising for chemistry exam tomorrow. So easily distracted...

Edited by darkfang77

Easier to exchange new for old needles instead. To be honest, drugs are illegal anyway, to a addict, what's the difference between breaking two laws? Plus, people claim to get better highs and faster ones, for obvious reasons, outlawing won't do anything. Moreover, do you want to encourage sufflation? Would increase ODs...

I believe you can already get no-reusable syringes but don't quote me, once plunger is depressed, it won't come back up.

Gov. would probably go down this route by selling pre-soluted syringes. Best solution so far, subcutaneous i would imagine though.

MEMO TO SELF: get off forums and start revising for chemistry exam tomorrow. So easily distracted...

Good point.. All the options are there.. Government need to understand that they could take complete control of it. If it's legal & sold by government, then the majority of importing would stop. Then, once there's fewer external sources, they can take complete control of the situation (temporarily, perhaps), and not only that, they'd make a mint in taxing it, and uphold a a certain level of quality control on the drugs that are about.. And whether they like it or not, drugs will ALWAYS be about, so it's up to them if they take control and stop people dying from dodgy cutting materials, or don't bother, and host a country of dirty substances.

Also, gtfo forums, study, pass, then return, and milk the congratulatory comments. ;) Good luck tomorrow!

how old are you darkfang,if you dont mind me asking.

i agree with both you and chuckun,i just dont see how they will police the legalisation of it all,if they did it would get the country of its arse just by the tax value they could bang on it,aslong as their not greedy ofcourse(rolleyes).

i still think its a long way off and ill eat my hat if it happens in my lifetime.dont quote me on that if it happens though lol

Good point.. All the options are there.. Government need to understand that they could take complete control of it. If it's legal & sold by government, then the majority of importing would stop. Then, once there's fewer external sources, they can take complete control of the situation (temporarily, perhaps), and not only that, they'd make a mint in taxing it, and uphold a a certain level of quality control on the drugs that are about.. And whether they like it or not, drugs will ALWAYS be about, so it's up to them if they take control and stop people dying from dodgy cutting materials, or don't bother, and host a country of dirty substances.

Also, gtfo forums, study, pass, then return, and milk the congratulatory comments. ;) Good luck tomorrow!

+1 Finished my exam today, not excruciatingly hard. And thanks! :thanks

how old are you darkfang,if you dont mind me asking.

i agree with both you and chuckun,i just dont see how they will police the legalisation of it all,if they did it would get the country of its arse just by the tax value they could bang on it,aslong as their not greedy ofcourse(rolleyes).

i still think its a long way off and ill eat my hat if it happens in my lifetime.dont quote me on that if it happens though lol

I'm 16 (bordering on 17) and I've been/seen all kinds of shitty situations w/ drugs (although not a user myself).

I'm not saying this is going to happen tomorrow, 'specially with the current administration.

Again, don't quote me on this, but I do believe that some clinics are running a pilot study to wean drug users off drugs but providing them drugs (only in clinics) in smaller and smaller doses.

You'll be surprised how the government will police something if they want to... ***ahem*** royal wedding ***cough***

If they do legalise drugs, I'll be eating my hat!! ('cause I'll be delusional)

How old are you btw?