Initialize a disk that is not ready

Lenovo

I have an external USB Hard Drive Saw 1TB Expansion, I have 4 partitions, 2 Primary and 2 Logics, lately I used the program, WintoUsb and I created a Win 10 OS on the first Primary partition, to use it on Packard Bell Easynote mx65 which has a now broken hard disk, at first all right, I connected it, I logged in, did the configuration of the system, I downloaded the drivers and updates, after I turned off, when I moved this disk to another computer the Master bot got corrupted, my problem is this, in the other Logical partitions
I have a lot of movies and personal files, it does not allow me to format the partition with OS win 10, Disk Management is hard to see it very slow, when it sees it returns the message Hard Disk, not initialized unknown, any operation I try does not work, EASEUS Partition Master does not see it, the only program that sees it and allows me operations is: HDD Regenerator but when I start it to scan, it returns the error, enter the bios change to ide compatible mode and restart the program, but the my bios does not have this option, my question is this, how can I fix it and format or delete the corrupted Partition, and recover disk access?

Hmm... well everything depends on whether or not you need or want the data that is to be stored on the disk.

If the drive runs for a bit, then you use a tool and it is stuck in a "busy" state, or drive tools such as Disk Management/EaseUS run slow it may not be a soft error (ie: corrupted partition or master boot record), but could be an issue with either the surface of the disk, the head stack, or the PCB- especially if there have recently been repeated removal and installations into various machines. Any of which mean disk failure.

If it's an issue with the head stack, that's bad news. That can only get worse. However, if it's an issue with the surface or PCB, you can chance your luck.
Note that if this disk is near failure, these tests and fix attempts may kill the disk and render it unusable.

If you do not need or want the data that is currently on the disk:
-First thing, download the Ultimate Boot CD, and burn it to a disc or use a tool to write the image to a USB drive. You can't use Windows, because it's horrible with handling disk errors.
With the image written, boot off of the UBCD.

-Start with HDAT2 for diagnosis and marking bad sectors.
Using the menu, go to HDD -> Diagnosis -> HDAT2.

-Once HDAT2 has loaded, select the drive, and go to "Device tests menu". Next, choose "Detect and Fix bad sectors". Finally, choose "Fix with READ/WRITE/READ". Although not as comprehensive as verify, I have not lost data with "Read" method. I have with "Verify". This will take some time. If it finds bad sectors, you'll want to run it again. If no bad sectors are detected, you are in the clear.

-Next, to wipe the disk, go back to the HDAT2 main menu. Choose "Device Tests Menu", then "Wipe Device". Finally "Wipe device with write".

If you wish to recover the data on the drive:
Trying to recover a damaged partition is tricky. There are a few ways to do it, but here's what I've had the most luck with.
The Ultimate Boot CD will also work in this case-- you'll want to use the "Parted Magic" live Linux distribution that's included. You'll want to use one of two tools (or both, depending on the condition of the drive): TestDisk and/or ddrescue.
If ddrescue is required, you'll need a spare hard drive the same size or larger than the one you're copying from.

-Boot from the UBCD and select "Parted Magic 2013". Wait for the Linux kernel to create a RAM Disk and the OS to initialize.
-Once you see the desktop, click on "Disk Health". Select your drive, right click it, and choose "View Details".
-Go to the "Perform Tests" tab. Execute the Short Test first. If it passes with no errors, run the Extended Test. If no errors occur, you're hopefully in the clear.
Note: If there are errors, you'll want to get the data off using ddrescue and a blank hard drive the same size or larger than the one you're copying from, then run TestDisk on the new drive to recover the partitions.

-Once you see the desktop, navigate through the menu on the taskbar (it's like a Start Menu), go to "System Tools" and scroll down until you find TestDisk. TestDisk can be used for boot sector and damaged partition recovery. For now, a good tutorial for TestDisk can be found here: https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

-In case you need it, here is a generic tutorial for ddrescue: https://www.technibble.com/guide-using-ddrescue-recover-data/

I've been meaning to write tutorials for both of the above utilities for several months now... I'll try to do that in a week or so. In the meantime, I'll edit this up later tomorrow (well... today actually) with some screenshots and a walk-through once I'm done with work. Hopefully the tutorials above work for now. Best of luck!

Edited by Xernicus
Removed some AHCI stuff...
  • Like 1