Windows 10 Fall Creators Update hit by bug that causes apps to ‘disappear’

sincity

Another problem has popped up with the Fall Creators Update, with affected upgraders finding that some of their apps are disappearing from menus in Windows 10.

Those hit with the issue have found that the icons to launch some apps have gone missing from the Start menu, and neither are they to be found on the operating system’s list of installed apps. A Cortana search won’t locate them, either – even though the pieces of software in question are still installed on the PC.

You can verify the latter because the Microsoft Store (formerly Windows Store) will indeed confirm they are installed, and you can launch the apps from here.

This appears to be affecting the core OS apps such as Movies & TV, Groove Music, and the likes of Calculator, and indeed in some reported cases, the store app itself has disappeared which could certainly be problematic (in terms of attempting to launch that one from the Microsoft Store).

• We might see some tempting Windows 10 deals on Black Friday

Fix forthcoming?

Microsoft says that it’s investigating the issue, so hopefully a fix will be forthcoming, but for the moment, one of Microsoft’s Answers forum moderators has offered some suggested workarounds.

These include repairing the missing apps, or reinstalling them, or failing that, reverting back to the previous version of Windows (i.e. rolling back to before the installation of the Fall Creators Update – not really an ideal solution).

The former easier solutions (repairing or reinstalling apps) don’t seem to have worked for everyone on that particular forum post, although some folks have at least recovered some of their apps using those methods. They’re certainly worth a try.

However, as mentioned, with any luck, Microsoft will get a proper fix implemented pronto.

If you’ve run into any problems with the Fall Creators Update, be sure to check out our comprehensive guide on how to fix common issues you might stumble across.

Via: Neowin

N9_NXbMiAxs

Reminds me of the first release of Windows 10. :P I think that issue regarding applications missing from the start menu due to a integer limit was overblown.
Downloaded the Fall Creator's Update the day it was released and I haven't noticed any applications "missing", and everything seems to be running great. A nice contrast to a botched installation of the original Creator's Update that required me to rollback the OS and finding incompatible graphics drivers when it did install correctly.

Edited by Xernicus

I'm not sure that that Microsoft is removing Groove, rather it looks to me like they're replacing the Streaming Music Pass and adding to their library by partnering with Spotify. I personally don't like Spotify due to issues regarding their Royalty payments (and not towards Taylor Swift, ew) towards independent artists.

I tried to embrace Groove back in 2012, but it seemed to like to upload my entire music library to my OneDrive. I liked their offerings, but not so much that I'd relinquish control of my own files. And by that I mean every mp3/m4a file, not just libraries or folders I specify. Unfortunately my Music folder is much larger than the allotted space one my OneDrive by subscription.. so I haven't cared much for Groove these past 5 years. For streaming music, I've gone back to my old favorite- Pandora. And I leave my music collection to my own management. I much prefer folders than proprietary libraries anyways.

post-9897-0-44385500-1508760312_thumb.jpg

• Platinum VIP

I'm not sure that that Microsoft is removing Groove, rather it looks to me like they're replacing the Streaming Music Pass and adding to their library by partnering with Spotify. I personally don't like Spotify due to issues regarding their Royalty payments (and not towards Taylor Swift, ew) towards independent artists.

I tried to embrace Groove back in 2012, but it seemed to like to upload my entire music library to my OneDrive. I liked their offerings, but not so much that I'd relinquish control of my own files. And by that I mean every mp3/m4a file, not just libraries or folders I specify. Unfortunately my Music folder is much larger than the allotted space one my OneDrive by subscription.. so I haven't cared much for Groove these past 5 years. For streaming music, I've gone back to my old favorite- Pandora. And I leave my music collection to my own management. I much prefer folders than proprietary libraries anyways.

attachicon.gifmusic.JPG

I had the same issues with Groove. And Spotify. I stopped using both awhile ago. Now I have Pandora and SiriusXM for most of my random music and for my MP3. I just stream through my phone to my sound bar's bluetooth