I need computer help

General

rofl-jpg.png

KEEP YOUR SPAM SHIT OUT OF THIS.

THIS IS TOPIC TO HELP, NOT FOR SPAMMING.

@ OP

If you want to to shut down PC immediately just turn off power switch.

IDK about others but nothing has happened so far to my PC. Since there are frequent rains here, electricity is occasionally shut down. Just run CHKDSK every week or so.

If there are brownouts, problem can be related to ur PSU.

Here is steps you can do.

1.Get a spare PSU and see if computer works properly.

2.Boot your computer in other OS such as linux.(No need to install you can use Live Disc feature). If it boots successfully then problem might be related to Windows.

3.If it fails try disconnecting each hardware such as graphic cards, sound cards etc.

4.If all fails then get a new PC! It might be faulty motherboard.

I know it may or maybe not help But adding your computer info might give others what your working with

Example mine: Dell Optiplex GX280 P4 Windows Xp 1.5 Gig Dual channel memory 1 40Gb Maxtor HD slave. 1 Maxtor 250Gb HD Master. Nvida 9800Gt 1Gb Video card Dual montor set up Custom fans

At this moment i just installed a friends old HD into mine computer I'm Cleanning the free space out (227,721.0 MB) but just before that I had the same problems you had when i installed it . It's my first install

The Dos form pop'ed up ...It could be your hard drive is cooked or the computer isn't reading the HD ..Try turnning it on and off a few times, Look in drives see if the HD shows if its there (SATA 1 (NAME OF HD) or if you have IDE (PATA 1 (NAME OF HD ) You can see this info when you hit F12

In Dos i had to have a test of the hard drives to see if both worked with my computer only then did the computer reconze it and showed both C : and D : drives The old drive has all the good files and windows XP

The new one has Windows NT ..im cleanning the hell out of it and going to transfer C : to D : so i will have XP on 250 Gb HD

P.S. don't use pass words on Dos cause ..it took me 3 hours to remember what the password was..need a laugh??? It was timberwolf LOL

good luck

You might have damaged your NTLOADER file if you turn it off improperly. Sometimes it is being accessed (held in RAM or in the cache or a page file, whatever) and it gets corrupted when the computer is shut down too quickly (like unplugging it from the wall for example).

You already paid for WIndows, just use your key and re-install it. You should have a restore disk. If you have a lot of data on the hard drive, you can remove the hard drive and put it in another computer so you can copy it all out before you re-install Windows. You can connect it to the IDE or the SATA cable on the second computer (while it's off of course) then it will show it as a second hard drive when you reboot. Get your data off before you put your restore disk in.

If you don't have a restore disk I would recommend you get a copy of Windoze online somewhere rather than pay $100 when you already have the key.

If there are brownouts, problem can be related to ur PSU.Here is steps you can do.1.Get a spare PSU and see if computer works properly.2.Boot your computer in other OS such as linux.(No need to install you can use Live Disc feature). If it boots successfully then problem might be related to Windows.3.If it fails try disconnecting each hardware such as graphic cards, sound cards etc.4.If all fails then get a new PC! It might be faulty motherboard.

I +1 the live disk idea, but from what I've read of his description, I think something just got screwed up with the loader as Phan stated. A live disk would however prove that there likely wasn't a hardware failure.

You might have damaged your NTLOADER file if you turn it off improperly. Sometimes it is being accessed (held in RAM or in the cache or a page file, whatever) and it gets corrupted when the computer is shut down too quickly (like unplugging it from the wall for example).You already paid for WIndows, just use your key and re-install it. You should have a restore disk. If you have a lot of data on the hard drive, you can remove the hard drive and put it in another computer so you can copy it all out before you re-install Windows. You can connect it to the IDE or the SATA cable on the second computer (while it's off of course) then it will show it as a second hard drive when you reboot. Get your data off before you put your restore disk in.If you don't have a restore disk I would recommend you get a copy of Windoze online somewhere rather than pay $100 when you already have the key.

I see that thing on 2 computer !

On one I had to re-install XP,

On the other, I did that :

- Boot on your XP install cd

- Choose repair

- When you are on the command line (c:\>WINDOWS>) type :

- fixboot c: (enter) --> y (yes)

- When it's finished type chkdsk c: /P /R (enter)

It will take a couple of minute to do the second operation but after that it will be repaired and you don't have to re-install.

But if one day you can install windows 7 64 bits !!

• 4 weeks later...

If you have an issue with power outages of any sort black or brown out you should look into some imaging software. Ghost is an example. This will allow you to take snap shots of your machine and be able to restore to that point. Once I have everything up and running I do a snap shot and save it. I store all my data (pictures and crap) on an external 500gb mirrored USB for backups and to store my snapshot. Normally If i have an issue I just restore and let everything update. Lot less painfull then reinstalling everything. I know it doesn't help now but hope it does for the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I 'broke' my pc like that many times , but you can repair it with a windows cd . You don't have to put new windows on. Just boot from the windows cd let it load the press R

and type : chkdsk -r (press enter)=> let this run and after that i usually also type fixboot (press enter)