Need Router Help

PHANTASM

So I have two Sony Vaio desktops and a couple geriatric laptops. My newest one is a 2007 Sony Vaio with a nice graphics card and a couple gigs of RAM. This is the one is like to play ET on. Our main desktop that everyone uses here is a 2002 Sony Vaio, which was awesome five years ago but now is mediocre. I still play ET on this one a lot because it is a pain in the ass to switch the network to the other computer.

Anyway, I have always had trouble getting these two computers to run together on the same router so I can access the internet on both at the same time. The way it is right now I have to unplug the electricity to the cable modem (that connects to my router). Then wait 20 minutes and plug it back in. I think this refreshes the IP at Charter cable, but I don't know.

While it is unplugged, I go into cmd prompt on the computer I want to connect to the internet and type ipconfig/release, ipconfig/renew, and ipconfig/flushdns to get that computer ready. Then when I plug the modem back in that computer will work. Whichever computer it was previously plugged in will no longer connect to the internet.

I have tried two network hubs - one from D-link (I use it for wireless for the laptops), and then I got a Netgear router because I thought maybe the D-link was the problem, but I have the same problem with the new one too. So it is some kind of setting somewhere.

I would describe myself as average in network issues, I could write a HUGE post on every combination of Network Conn/properties I tried to fix this problem, but I suspect it is just something Charter Cable controls to keep down the number of computers on their network (from the same household).

Anyone have any opinions?

More than likely, your Cable modem only wants ONE computer connected to it at a time. Typically they want you to upgrade to a new modem (lease one) that has built in networking (wireless most of the time).

However, you can get around this by accessing your Router's configuration page, and alter it's MAC Address. There should be a tool on that page to Clone MAC Address and do so of the computer that is mostly connected to the modem. After that, the modem should see the router as the computer, and be fine and dandy.

The other thing might be is that the modem uses goofy IP settings that the router does not like (like a different Gateway address outside of the IP range that it gives to the computer). You might just need to call your cable company and request information on what information you might need to provide your router to get it to work (like PPPoE or some other settings).

Routers are bitches,

Starting with the easiest, If you choose not to have a direct connection you will need to make sure the set up is proper. cable from wall>modem>Ethernet >Wireless router.

Both computers should have an access point that matches the same settings as the router. (ie SSID, security, encryption type, workplace, and work group name all the same.)

one thing you should check for is that the Ipv6 and ipv4 IP, Mac adress, and DNS registration is set to "automatically configure new ip"

Go into your WLan adapter and find find those protocols and hit "properties" mark "get new ip automatically". Before you hit apply click advanced settings and make sure that they are registered automatically as well.

Depending on the router and what kind of adapter you have, disable the "use Atheros connection setting" in your access points.

Assuming all that is old news to you, I would go to your routers webpage and in the administration tools and see if you can find more help there to take off any limits.

Edited by Ginger420

However, you can get around this by accessing your Router's configuration page, and alter it's MAC Address. There should be a tool on that page to Clone MAC Address and do so of the computer that is mostly connected to the modem. After that, the modem should see the router as the computer, and be fine and dandy.

I would like to try this, but when I enter http://192.168.1.1/ into the url field on IE8 it just gives me an error. I am currently on a non-wireless 1000Mbps Netgear router model GS108. I don't know of any other ways to enter the router configuration page.

Isn't is usually http://192.168.2.1 ?

Plus, that's a switch according to that model number. Switches are great for extending networks, but don't do all that great when what you connect to it doesn't expect more than one connection.

What you could do instead is if your main computer has more than one ethernet jack on it (like a PC with two NICs) you could use that computer to act as a router. In which your internet would go from the wall to the modem, from the modem to that computer, from that computer into the switch, and then from the switch to everything else.

Well, the router IPs differ, depending on which model you have.

I'd recommend firing up the command line and check your PCs IP using "ipconfig". Manufacturers usually assign an IP ending on 1 to their routers.

When I go in ipconfig/all I have my computer's IP, the physical address (MAC), DNS, etc, but how would that help me find the router?

I tried 192.168.2.1 and didn't bring anything up.

I have a program called bootp (for setting up Agilent HPLCs) somewhere and I will try that to see if I can find the router mac.

When I go in ipconfig/all I have my computer's IP, the physical address (MAC), DNS, etc, but how would that help me find the router?

I tried 192.168.2.1 and didn't bring anything up.

I have a program called bootp (for setting up Agilent HPLCs) somewhere and I will try that to see if I can find the router mac.

Assumed your computer's IP is 192.168.0.2, your router's IP will most likely be 192.168.0.1 - if your computer's IP is 192.168.178.5, your router's IP will most likely be 192.168.178.1.

OK, bootp found the mac for my router, and it is different than the physical address that is displayed when I use ipconfig/all.

If I try the router MAC in IE it gives me nothing. How do I find the IP of a router?

Always feel like I'm running around in circles with network problems.

update:

I googled it and read a bunch of networking sites. lol it's a switch not a router and switches don't have an IP to configure, which I should have known.

Apparently the GS108 has a nasty habit of crashing with all LEDs flashing too. I think I will return it.

I will plug my D-link back in and try to configure it so I can use both computers.

• Administrators

Routers deals always keep coming up here and there:

=9&search=router&mode=forum&showposts=0&sdsearch_archive=0&firstpost=1"]Click Me

I would suggest to get Linksys (Linux) or Buffalo ones and flash it with DD WRT or Tomato. I run tomato firmware on my buffalo router and it's one of the best thing I did with router. I also have hacked it to attach SD card on my Linksys router. Just give me a call on cellphone and we can do remote desktop and fix your issue.