Hockey talk

TimoMajere

Heya.. i just wanted to start a topic about Hockey.. Im not gonna proclaim it as gods gift to sports or anything as such.. BUT i would like to find the fans in the group who are willing to share opinions and have friendly lil flame wars about the teams and players on them. :)

Yeah yeah The Hockey season JUST ended.. yay Blackhawks.. Blah blah.. This is the BEST time to start the talk though.. before any trades or drafts have started.. we can stick to the facts that happened til the end of the season and playoffs. My company and friends are already making a Draft for the hockey pool for next season as we speak.. and we're waiting for the Draftday/Trades to happen so we can adjust.

BUT for now.. lets just start with some things that we know as facts.

For example:

I believe that Ovechkin will NOT be in the NHL in 10 years.. WHY? heres why.

Alex Ovechkin signed a $124 million, 13-year contract. The contract will pay Ovechkin $9 million per year for the first six years and $10 million per year for the following seven

Web site with each teams salary Cap. http://www.nhlscap.com/teamnumbers.htm

EDIT: The salary cap was only increased a small amount for 2009–10 season. It was set at $56.8 million, which is $100,000 higher than in the 2008–09 season. The salary floor was $40.8 million.[1]

First: His contract is alot of money over a fairly lengthy period of time.. what if his production drops off or he gets his ass injured for an extended period of time? Then the cost to keep him is not worth it anymore.. PLUS Washington is stuck with him and his HUGE salary, so their options are to Free Agent him ( and get NOTHING back in return.. yet they STILL need to pay his contracted salary) or trade him ( making his huge salary and incentives some other teams worry). However, but who wants to pick him up when his yearly salary then will be roughly 1/10th of any teams salary cap ( this of course is subject to debate.. it depends on the trades/contracts of others and the impacts of any new/old faces as well as the fact that most teams try NEVER to even get CLOSE to the cap because that leaves ZERO room for trades unless its literally dollar for dollar)?

Anyone wish to comment on this or possibly about something else??

All i gotta say is Go Hawks!

Been listening to Chelsea Dagger for the past few days and tbh, its quite a good song.

But on the topic of the salary cap, many teams will be cutting players since that cap raise is pretty tiny from last year.

yes.. however this is still down the road a ways.. but even with current salary caps.. Ovechkin's salary is almosy 1/6ths of the allocated TEAM cap. hes getting 9 mill a season now and it will increase to 10 mill in 5 years.

Unless he and his agent already planned to retire early, then this was a short-sighted mistake, especially in today's market where with 32 teams the talent pool is very diluted and each team is LUCKY to be able to have 2 or even 3 stars on yer team as opposed to say in the late 80's all the way to the mid 90's when each team could support 3-5 EASILY.

If Ovie is worth 9 mill.. that also sets a precedent for future players to try and swing for higher wages because they act/believe/play like they're actually worth that much.

Im really hoping for some good talks with hockey afficionados because Im a pretty deep hockey fan and just dont root for wins and good signings.. My team is the Detroit Red Wings.. Im a 3rd Generation fan.. My dad and grandfather were fans going back to the times when they were called the Cougars ( we're talking 20's and 30's here) and for me.. i saw from start of season that passing off on Ville Leino and taking on Todd Bertuzzi was a huge mistake.. also letting Mikael Samuelsson go also was. Chelios is too long in the tooth and knowing he'll be gone next season, they allowed 2 KEY defenseman to just be frittered away for almost ZERO in return. One instance where Potential Skill vs Proven Skill was an epic failure as the red wings had one of the worst seasons they've ever had in almost 16 years.

Oh and Ill assume yer a Hawks fan.. well guess what.. This cup is a double-edged sword.. because now that they have it and the wait is over.. everyone will now want more money.. meaning you wont have Campbell, Toews, Kane AND Keith next year.. one is destined to be gone now. My guess is since Kane isnt sporting any letters.. he'll be the first to be shipped off in the market.. possibly a Trade Deadline/DraftDay move. with Campbell a close 2nd I dont see them getting rid of keith.. he is far too valuable skill-wise and with so much potential and has a decent contract aspect going..

Oh and Ill assume yer a Hawks fan.. well guess what.. This cup is a double-edged sword.. because now that they have it and the wait is over.. everyone will now want more money.. meaning you wont have Campbell, Toews, Kane AND Keith next year.. one is destined to be gone now. My guess is since Kane isnt sporting any letters.. he'll be the first to be shipped off in the market.. possibly a Trade Deadline/DraftDay move. with Campbell a close 2nd I dont see them getting rid of keith.. he is far too valuable skill-wise and with so much potential and has a decent contract aspect going..

Yea, i am :P

And i disagree with you on the fact that Campbell, Toews, Kane AND Keith will be gone next year as the Hawks bult there team around Toews and Kane, and Campbell, Keith, Seabrook, and Burish were their main defensemen. I would say Sopel, Hjalmarsson, maybe Versteeg will leave. Along with probably Huet and maybe Kopecky. Hossa will stay as he was just signed last year and he was pretty important down toward the end of the season and beginning of the playoffs, although he kinda ran outta gas for the Finals.

I think Campbell would be the one leaving if needed. They will keep Keith, Kane and Toews for sure. And I think they will also keep Hjalmarsson...for 1 million only, hes doing a great job lol and hes restricted free agent.

But the team that matters to me is the Sharks. Yes, these chokers are my favorite team even if im from Quebec...I hate Montreal. One of the only players I like in Montreal is Halak. And i hope the Sharks get rid of Nabokov to get Halak! And I hope they sign Marleau, he was their best in playoffs. And with Rob Blake retiring they need a solid defenseman to take his place.

Oh...and if they can find a Heart and some Passion for Heatley that would be nice. =)

Yea, i am :P

And i disagree with you on the fact that Campbell, Toews, Kane AND Keith will be gone next year as the Hawks bult there team around Toews and Kane, and Campbell, Keith, Seabrook, and Burish were their main defensemen. I would say Sopel, Hjalmarsson, maybe Versteeg will leave. Along with probably Huet and maybe Kopecky. Hossa will stay as he was just signed last year and he was pretty important down toward the end of the season and beginning of the playoffs, although he kinda ran outta gas for the Finals.

Well its not about skill now.. its about salaries and UFA's and RFA's now. Chicagos been building up for all of this but now its about marketability.. those 3 u named are good addons but alone.. not worth the salaries to go with the skills they have..

I still see one of those 4 being gone.. if they can afford it, then they risk losing on other talents and creating holes in their game.

I still think its Campbell, Kane, Keith and then Toews in that order.

We'll see though.

Huet is now somewhat expendible for obvious reasons..

I think Campbell would be the one leaving if needed. They will keep Keith, Kane and Toews for sure. And I think they will also keep Hjalmarsson...for 1 million only, hes doing a great job lol and hes restricted free agent.

But the team that matters to me is the Sharks. Yes, these chokers are my favorite team even if im from Quebec...I hate Montreal. One of the only players I like in Montreal is Halak. And i hope the Sharks get rid of Nabokov to get Halak! And I hope they sign Marleau, he was their best in playoffs. And with Rob Blake retiring they need a solid defenseman to take his place.

Oh...and if they can find a Heart and some Passion for Heatley that would be nice. =)

AAHH Now I can work on this one.. Halak aint going anywhere.. but what I DO see if Price being traded away.

He is damaged goods but ONLY for Montreal because he was thrust into the spotlight of a city that is notorious for churning out good goalies and then bailing on them when they dont INSTANTLY produce the numbers they wish to have them make.

Price just couldnt cope with it and it shows in every single game he wasnt expected to win vs the games that it was necessary to win.

Im not sure about the sharks.. but ya know.. I can see them trading him to there for a few reasons:

1: Minimal contact during the regular season

2: Sharks have abundant talent in areas Montreal lacks

3: Salaries allow for decent options.

Thing is, I dont think Halak wants to stay. Yes hes been terribly good and brought them to the conference final, but I think he wants to leave. Hes been treated like a number 2 goalie all the time since he has been with montreal...until last season...and it took half the season to notice it. Since hes in the minor leagues theyve preferred Price over him. Couple years ago Halak was about to bring Hamilton to the Calder Cup..but Price joined the team, they put him in the net and he won the Cup instead of Halak. Then in the NHL, he always had better numbers than Price, but yet Price was the #1. But I dont think Montreal wants to lose him. But I hate the Habs and hope he leaves (for the Sharks!!! lol).

Or maybe Montreal would trade with Tampa Bay? They hired Yzerman and Boucher. They certainly need a good goalie.

Other teams I see would be Philadelphia(but I doubt it) or St-Louis.

...I hate Montreal.

lol join the club...the hated habs will be back in basement next season

i think the bruins might get to the finals next year. they peaked just before the playoffs but wont go out so easily next year

Yes frozzen U called the trade.. but NOONE coulda guessed St.Louis.. lol Im shocked. The Price Brainwashing shall commence.. or.. will it.. NOW montreal is down a goalie maybe this is a total purge..

I always knew since 1996 the Canadiens authority has gone crazy.

read post #7 of this thread. I talk about St-Louis at the end!!!! :D

But its not just montreal's decision. Halak wanted to leave.

Now...St-Louis wins the Cup next year!! lol jk, but it would be hilarious.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Holy Crap.. I knew Chicago getting the cup would result in some changes.. but.. well Im surprised I was wrong to be honest. They kept the people I named.. but look at all the people they did let go... and more to come..

I wont even list them cause theres quite alot!

Niemi being the biggest one.. noone saw that.

Anyhow.. Congratulations Chicago!

Yah Im a lil late on this.. didnt think it was prudent to daily update now that its all over..

Kovalchuk's deal was JUST rejected by the arbiter so Kovies a Free agent again.

Mwhaha!

He will be New Jersey's under-achiever if hes signed for life to them. I like Nj so I hope they smarten up and NOT sign him or sign and trade his ass away.

Niemi would be a smart trade for new Jersey to be honest.. Brodeurs waxing off now in his age and Niemi now under Brodeur for a year or 2 before he retires and Man-o-man.

Anyone else have thoughts about the game as it stand now in the off-season?