A little off topic stuff about Star Trek....

Ol Smoke

Let's talk about warp speed okay?  As they depict it in the movies.

Warp is slightly faster than light speed.  You cannot go faster than warp 9.9. 

Let's say the Enterprise took off to see a planet on the other side of the galaxy, which they have done in the movies.

It is about 100,000 light years across the Milky Way Galaxy.  So traveling at warp 9.0, which is safe, it would only take us 11,111.11 years to get there.

Whoops.  Eleven thousand years!!  And then turn around and come back to Earth again.  That is 22,222.22 years total. Not counting the layover for

snacks and visiting.  That is about 250 generations.  But that's not all.  The Earth is out of the warp speed configuration.  So when you get back to

Earth (your siblings, etc).  Earth is now almost 1 million years older than when you left it.

Man how the old neighborhood has changed !

This is why folding space is so cool.  Folding space is like a tornado.  Go to the bottom of a tornado and get sucked up to the clouds.  Takes about

3 minutes if you survive.  But everything on Earth is just like it was when you left.  Now you play around up in the clouds for a while and then take the

big spout back down to the ground again.  A few minutes has gone by but nothing has changed.  That is what folding space is all about.  You find

a tornado (black hole) and jump into it and it spits you out somewhere else.  The neat thing is this.  Time is irrelevant.  By the laws of gravity-time you 

get into the singularity at say 1:00 pm and come out the other side.  If the wormhole is stable, you can come back through and be at the exact time

you left in the first place.  Cool huh?  Only one problem...nothing can survive the pressure of the ring around the black hole.  But then they said it

was impossible to fly.  Impossible to fly faster than sound.  Impossible to go to the moon.  Impossible to go to Mars.  Impossible to go faster than light.

Well, what are we waiting for?  Punch it.

Do you know that when the railroad first started passenger travel that, people were told they would die if their bodies went over 50 mph.  They would

stop breathing because of the excess forces on our chest at that speed.  Just think, if we went back to the actual day that an ancient man actually

figured out how to use fire, and made fire for the first time,  there was probably someone there telling him "they" said it was too dangerous to be

fooling around with fire, and he should never do it again.  If we had kept listening to "them", we would still be in animal skins, freezing from the cold.

• Like 3

Just on a technical note, there were numerous instances in star trek in which a vessel travelled over the warp 9.9 barrier (there's an episode in Voyager about it and unless I'm mistaken, an alien probe in the original series was mentioned going over 9.9).

On another technical note, the series claimed that in order to travel from the alpha quadrant to the gamma quadrant (other side of the galaxy), it would take about 70-90 years (the premise of voyager and also mentioned in deep space 9) at conventional warp speeds.

Going off what you said, new technology always has its risks. There were some theories that a nuclear bomb would vaporize the entire atmosphere but we still went ahead with it. Proof that the question "is this really a good idea?" has no place in the scientific community, and it's all the better for it.

• Like 2

Bending/folding space would be really cool. As far as I know it doesn't necessarily require a black hole though (in theory), just need a lot of energy.

Just on a technical note, there were numerous instances in star trek in which a vessel travelled over the warp 9.9 barrier (there's an episode in Voyager about it and unless I'm mistaken, an alien probe in the original series was mentioned going over 9.9).

On another technical note, the series claimed that in order to travel from the alpha quadrant to the gamma quadrant (other side of the galaxy), it would take about 70-90 years (the premise of voyager and also mentioned in deep space 9) at conventional warp speeds.

Going off what you said, new technology always has its risks. There were some theories that a nuclear bomb would vaporize the entire atmosphere but we still went ahead with it. Proof that the question "is this really a good idea?" has no place in the scientific community, and it's all the better for it.

Well the nuclear bomb did bring a lot of bad with it too. The question, "is this really a good idea?" is definitely a worth while one to ask, because it is worth while to think about the consequences. Also, it forces you to attempt to do things as safely as possible. They were able to go to the moon, but only after creating a rocket/vehicle that was safe enough to take people.

Transwarp corridors. Haven't you seen the Borg do their thing? And I'm pretty sure going through Species 8472's space could do fancy distances.

Then there's the Voth, who have their own warp technology entirely, they are said to be quicker than Borg. Not to mention the Ansata, who basically fold space to get from A to B by shortening the distance between them rather than travelling the distance.

The Traveler in ST:Next Generation goes FAR beyond warp 10, travelling to entirely different galaxies that have entirely different physical laws in the blink of an eye. Just by thinking it.

I'm reasonable sure using the transwarp corridor next to DS9 will allow you to travel beyond warp 10 for a moment as well, since you are instantly transported to the Gamma quadrant.

Then there's the Douwd. He can kill off an entire race by a matter of thought. I'm confident he can travel beyond warp 10.

Q. They need no explanation. They're Q.

Cytherians just tell you how to create a portal with which you travel through the galaxy in an eyeblink.

Need I go on :P

Edited by Flible

Transwarp corridors. Haven't you seen the Borg do their thing? And I'm pretty sure going through Species 8472's space could do fancy distances.

Then there's the Voth, who have their own warp technology entirely, they are said to be quicker than Borg. Not to mention the Ansata, who basically fold space to get from A to B by shortening the distance between them rather than travelling the distance.

The Traveler in ST:Next Generation goes FAR beyond warp 10, travelling to entirely different galaxies that have entirely different physical laws in the blink of an eye. Just by thinking it.

I'm reasonable sure using the transwarp corridor next to DS9 will allow you to travel beyond warp 10 for a moment as well, since you are instantly transported to the Gamma quadrant.

Then there's the Douwd. He can kill off an entire race by a matter of thought. I'm confident he can travel beyond warp 10.

Q. They need no explanation. They're Q.

Cytherians just tell you how to create a portal with which you travel through the galaxy in an eyeblink.

Need I go on :P

I am not worthy enough to be in your presence.

And I thought I knew I thing or two about star trek......

Do you know that when the railroad first started passenger travel that, people were told they would die if their bodies went over 50 mph.  They would

stop breathing because of the excess forces on our chest at that speed. 

So cool, didnt know that.

I am not worthy enough to be in your presence.

And I thought I knew I thing or two about star trek......

In reality, I'm a hopeless geek  :(

• Like 2