How to properly cook potatoes and noodles and other stuff...

Ol Smoke

When making soup or stew and using potatoes, boil the potatoes in a separate pot first.  This will get rid of the starch and give

your meal a cleaner taste.

If you are using noodles in a casserole or soup, do the same thing, but when they finish cooking, run cold water over them and let

them get cold before using them in your meal.  This way they will stay fresher and wont turn to mush.  Otherwise the noodles just

keep on cooking until they get mushy.

When buying hamburger, get 20% fat.  It is the fat that makes the meat flavorful.  And always cook the meat with onion, garlic and salt.

When it comes to buying beef, always buy a pack that is a little older than the other packs.  Beef gets better with aging.

When making any Mexican meal, always use sugar to make the flavor come out.  Put it in the meat sauce when cooking.  About 1/2 tsp.

Using a little red wine in spaghetti sauce along with a little lemon makes even store bought brands taste good.

Like a little melted cheese on your bread, but don't have a small oven to make it?  Use your toaster.  Put the cheese on the bread in a

way that it will not melt and run off.  Then turn your toaster on it's side and use the bottom slot for your cheesy bread.  Watch it carefully.

When cooking wieners in a microwave, put three small slices in a row down one side.  Put that side up.  This stops the wiener from burning

on the end or cracking open.

If you have an oven mitt, you can use it to cook baked potatoes in.  Just wash and clean and dry the potato and put it inside the glove and

cook it for 4 minutes.  Then stop and cook it for 2 more minutes.  (medium size)  Never cook it for more than 4 minutes at a time.  To keep the

skin from drying and wrinkling, put a small glass of water in the oven with it.  Remove the potato once it is cooked.  Don't let it sit in the glove.

You can also buy a sock thing that will do this for you.

If you like hard boiled eggs but find them hard to peel, then try this.  After boiling the egg, put it in a small jar filled halfway with cold water.

Put on the lid and shake it till the shell comes off.

Try this sometime for a great TV watching desert drink.  Buy the best orange juice you can afford along with Half and Half milk.

In a large glass, pour in 3/4 orange juice, 1/4 h&h, then add a jigger of rum.  It tastes like a Dreamsicle but only better.

Vyder's favorite

• Like 4

With potatoes I clean them then wrap them in aluminium then put them in the oven.

I'm not much of a noodle guy so I will skip this one haha

With hamburger I actually started using Turkey Burger..  I know it's super lean but it has an awesome taste.. I use salt, pepper and onion but skip on the garlic..

I don't do much mexican so does Taco Bell count?

As far as toast goes, you can spray an iron with non stick srpay and make grilled cheese all day 

With hard boiled eggs I make a small crack in the shell before boiling (Actually nothing or next to nothing will come out) the boiling water makes its way in, boils the egg and makes the shell slide right off when cracked open

Never had the last one, but I just put it in my "Things to try" list lol

• Like 2

When making soup or stew and using potatoes, boil the potatoes in a separate pot first.  This will get rid of the starch and give

your meal a cleaner taste.

If you are using noodles in a casserole or soup, do the same thing, but when they finish cooking, run cold water over them and let

them get cold before using them in your meal.  This way they will stay fresher and wont turn to mush.  Otherwise the noodles just

keep on cooking until they get mushy.

When buying hamburger, get 20% fat.  It is the fat that makes the meat flavorful.  And always cook the meat with onion, garlic and salt.

When it comes to buying beef, always buy a pack that is a little older than the other packs.  Beef gets better with aging.

When making any Mexican meal, always use sugar to make the flavor come out.  Put it in the meat sauce when cooking.  About 1/2 tsp.

Using a little red wine in spaghetti sauce along with a little lemon makes even store bought brands taste good.

Like a little melted cheese on your bread, but don't have a small oven to make it?  Use your toaster.  Put the cheese on the bread in a

way that it will not melt and run off.  Then turn your toaster on it's side and use the bottom slot for your cheesy bread.  Watch it carefully.

When cooking wieners in a microwave, put three small slices in a row down one side.  Put that side up.  This stops the wiener from burning

on the end or cracking open.

If you have an oven mitt, you can use it to cook baked potatoes in.  Just wash and clean and dry the potato and put it inside the glove and

cook it for 4 minutes.  Then stop and cook it for 2 more minutes.  (medium size)  Never cook it for more than 4 minutes at a time.  To keep the

skin from drying and wrinkling, put a small glass of water in the oven with it.  Remove the potato once it is cooked.  Don't let it sit in the glove.

You can also buy a sock thing that will do this for you.

If you like hard boiled eggs but find them hard to peel, then try this.  After boiling the egg, put it in a small jar filled halfway with cold water.

Put on the lid and shake it till the shell comes off.

Try this sometime for a great TV watching desert drink.  Buy the best orange juice you can afford along with Half and Half milk.

In a large glass, pour in 3/4 orange juice, 1/4 h&h, then add a jigger of rum.  It tastes like a Dreamsicle but only better.

Vyder's favorite

Last one is what a lot of people refer to as an Orange Julius. Its even actually openeds its on chain of stores.

• Like 2

Orange Julius!! OMG..went to one of those in the mall back in early 70s when I was a teen ...wow :)........ . only tip I got for potatoes is to save time..for bake potatoes wash wrap in wet paper towel micro for 4 minutes or more then bake toaster oven for 30 min more conventional crisp taste..or for home fried cut them and soften them for in micro for less cooking time on stovetop for breakfast with eggs.....tip for hotdogs,sausage and other meats ..get rid of some of their salt,fat.. boil in some water first and then bake, broil or BBQ them

• Like 2