Your Android phone can now help cure cancer while you sleep

sincity

Your Android phone can now help cure cancer while you sleep

Remember the Folding at Home app on the Playstation 3? The app that used your gaming console to help solve some pretty nasty diseases while you weren't playing?

Well, Australian scientists at the Garvan Institute of Medical Research a new Android app that offers a similar promise for your smartphone.

When your phone is plugged in and charged to at least 95% battery overnight, the DreamLab app will kick into gear, downloading and solving a small part of a cancer research problem without any effort on your part.

The idea is that by pooling together thousands – if not millions – of idle smartphones across the country, the Institute will be able to help solve complex tasks in cancer research significantly faster than before.

Data for science

With the ever-present fear of exceeding data allowances almost ubiquitous for Australians, the biggest hurdle the DreamLab app faces is one of confronting the data challenge.

Fortunately, the app offers users limits on how much data the app can consume each month, both on your mobile network and on WiFi.

What's more, thanks to a three-year association with the Vodafone Foundation, Vodafone has unmetered the data used by the DreamLab app, so it won't count against Vodafone customer's data allowances.

You can download the free DreamLab app here.

rc.img

rc.img

rc.img

a2.imga2t.imgmf.gif3Ggimsa87MQ
  • Like 1

Ppl still being deluted by the fact that there's "yet" no cure for cancer.

You have evidence of a cure for cancer? I'd love to see it.

Sure, seems like we merely give some app access to my phone. No thanks. Security reasons.

Consider pretty much any social network app (Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, etc, etc). Any of those have far more permission nodes than the DreamLab app.

Permission list:

Photos/Media/Files;
  Modify/delete SD card contents
  Read the contents of your SD card

Other;
  Full network access
  Run at start-up
  Prevent phone from sleeping
  Read battery statistics
  View network connections
Having seen/used the app myself, I can see where each of these permissions would be used.

LoL, hell no!

Why?

Dont have any of them :)

Mkay, what apps do you have? :)

EDIT: Actually, scrap that, go look at WhatsApp's permission list. Then come back and try the "security reasons" excuse again ;) And that's the one app I know you use :P

Edited by Heretic121

Mkay, what apps do you have? :)

EDIT: Actually, scrap that, go look at WhatsApp's permission list. Then come back and try the "security reasons" excuse again ;) And that's the one app I know you use :P

Hahaha, I do have WhatsApp, as well as Twitter. But thats enough for me. None of that Facebook shit. Working to help the government spy on us.

Hahaha, I do have WhatsApp, as well as Twitter. But thats enough for me. None of that Facebook shit. Working to help the government spy on us.

WhatsApp is owned by Facebook ;)

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/19/technology/social/facebook-whatsapp/

Edited by Heretic121

Yes, I know it is. :\ You bastards forcing me to use a Facebook owned entity. Although it isn't Facebook exactly.

Yes, I know it is. :\ You bastards forcing me to use a Facebook owned entity. Although it isn't Facebook exactly.

So... about those security reasons? :P Would you like to join me in helping find a cure for cancer? ;)

So... about those security reasons? :P Would you like to join me in helping find a cure for cancer? ;)

Don't really know how to put this without sounding rude, but, nah. Don't want other intrusive apps on my phone. And it's never on the charger above 95%. And the cure for cancer is found, but the government makes to much money off of it, and now apps like this to collect your "metadata" to valuable to release the cure ;)

My uncle cured cancer with cannabis oil. I read somewhere they are testing "killing" cancer cells with virus of herpes zoster. Dk about that but I know many ppl cured with cannabis oil. Not just cancer, like my father he has rare decease myastenia gravis he cured it with same oil. My mother cure her brest tumors with same oil. If this means anything to you.

Edit: I said hell no couse i have trust issues with those all applications (identity and all permissions needed for app to work.) only reason.