Help needed in building a new pc

B3rk0

Hey guys

Need some help here please.

I am building a new PC, with these specs:

Box: ATX NOX COOLBAY VX
Processor: Intel Core I5- 4690K or  I7- 4790
Mother Board: Z97-PRO GAMER - LGA 1150, INTEL Z97
RAM: HYPER X SAVAGE DDR3 16GB 2400MHz (Kit 2x)
Graphic card: ASUS STRIX - NVIDIA Geforce GTX970 4GB DDR5 DC2OC-4GD5
Disc 1: SSD HYPERX SAVAGE 240GB SATA3
Disc 2: Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM
Power supply: NOX URANO VX 750
Other: ASUS DVD Multi DVD Writer / Cool Master Hyper 103

Now my question is, should i buy the Intel Core I5- 4690K or the Intel Core I7- 4790?

Because what most of the guys in foruns say is that the I5- 4690K is a great processor for playn and here it cost less 90€.

Thx for the help

VS|Berko

Lmao, your build is scarily close to what I'm building. I went with the 4790k. If you're gunna go with a high end GPU like the 970, you might aswell shell out for the i7.

• Like 1

You might need the extra power from more i7 threads while playing demanding MP games: BF4 etc. Haven´t tried them, so I´m not sure if i7 would have any advantage in multiplayer mode. i5 OC> i7 usually per core. So that 100$ could be spent on better GPU or better\spacious SSD...

Haven´t seen any of last 3 gen i5 bottlenecking todays games with single GPU, the gain would be like 3-4FPS tops. There are ofc some anomalies where i7 would be better or where i3 would top all the i5\i7...

• Like 2

if you can wait a couple years, technology growth is gonna jump

yup i know, but i really need a machine that allows me to play the latest games  :D

ok, well if you have to spend extra now;

Keeping it short:

4 to 8  virtual threads, 1.5 to 2MB per core L3 cache,

4790 wins.

If you are using software that is coded to use less than 3 threads, then you have the option to overclock the 4690K to maybe 5Ghz to get a better performance.

If you are looking at software written in the future, the 4790 will probably perfrom 25% better?? (just pulliing numbers out of my ass)

So the question is what is the performance benefit on the software you are using / will be using.

Is this performance benefit worth 90 euros to you?

(If you're playing et and cod4, the answer is no it's not.)

• Like 1

Btw which games do you mostly play- MP, shooters etc? And check those games benchmarks and decide if you need i7 and nVidia\AMD GPU, its mostly boils down to that. Or if you are with big wallet and want to beat every score then go with Titan X and Haswell-E build...

Though I just tested witcher 3 @ UHD VSR resolution(3840x2160) with my humble i5 (3570k OC @4.2Ghz) and got the exact same scores than http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-r9-fury-x,4196-3.htmlgot with i7 5960X with its I-don´t-have-enough-fingers-to-count-cores... Mostly GPU>CPU...

If you do some work with the PC using multi-threaded programs, then i7 would be better idea.

PS whats that Nox PSU? Never heard about it...(and only search I found about it was "my PSU exploded"). Not that Seasonic, EVGA, Fractal Design etc don´t have faulty products but still would put money on better Gold rated PSU with all Japanese caps...(new Corsair RMx has them also)

• Like 1

Btw which games do you mostly play- MP, shooters etc? And check those games benchmarks and decide if you need i7 and nVidia\AMD GPU, its mostly boils down to that. Or if you are with big wallet and want to beat every score then go with Titan X and Haswell-E build...

Though I just tested witcher 3 @ UHD VSR resolution(3840x2160) with my humble i5 (3570k OC @4.2Ghz) and got the exact same scores than http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-r9-fury-x,4196-3.htmlgot with i7 5960X with its I-don´t-have-enough-fingers-to-count-cores... Mostly GPU>CPU...

If you do some work with the PC using multi-threaded programs, then i7 would be better idea.

PS whats that Nox PSU? Never heard about it...(and only search I found about it was "my PSU exploded"). Not that Seasonic, EVGA, Fractal Design etc don´t have faulty products but still would put money on better Gold rated PSU with all Japanese caps...(new Corsair RMx has them also)

About the games mostly FPS, and the PC is only for gaming  :D

Now my question is, should i buy the Intel Core I5- 4690K or the Intel Core I7- 4790?

Because what most of the guys in foruns say is that the I5- 4690K is a great processor for playn and here it cost less 90€.

I don't know what others say but I5 is definitely better than I7 for me :)

Btw, Gr8 specs  :lol:  :thumbsup

• Like 1

Well that is a good question? i5 - i7

I think Jaie got it right with the questions.

What else are you planning to do with the computer?

Gaming? Video? Photos?  Etc.

• Like 1

Well that is a good question? i5 - i7

I think Jaie got it right with the questions.

What else are you planning to do with the computer?

Gaming? Video? Photos?  Etc.

Hi Elf

Mostly is for gaming, watch movies and internet.

sup berko, what's your budget for the new rig?

I am a hardware nub, kinda, so I rely on others to compose stable and optimized stuff. My actual baby I bought off from that list:

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/337013-Beispiel-PC-Zusammenstellungen?p=5347333#post5347333

I got something along that 'performance rig', they frequently update their threads and posts. 

• Like 1

sup berko, what's your budget for the new rig?

I am a hardware nub, kinda, so I rely on others to compose stable and optimized stuff. My actual baby I bought off from that list:

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/337013-Beispiel-PC-Zusammenstellungen?p=5347333#post5347333

I got something along that 'performance rig', they frequently update their threads and posts. 

Hi 10Tacle

My budget should be max 1400€

These are the prices here:

Box: ATX NOX COOLBAY VX - 42€
Processor: Intel Core I5- 4690K or  I7- 4790 - I5 224€ or I7 321€
Mother Board: Z97-PRO GAMER - LGA 1150, INTEL Z97 - 160€
RAM: HYPER X SAVAGE DDR3 16GB 2400MHz (Kit 2x) - 120€
Graphic card: ASUS STRIX - NVIDIA Geforce GTX970 4GB DDR5 DC2OC-4GD5 - 370€
Disc 1: SSD HYPERX SAVAGE 240GB SATA3 - 106€
Power supply: NOX URANO VX 750 - 49€
Other: ASUS DVD Multi DVD Writer / Cool Master Hyper 103 - 23€ + 20€

What i can do insted of the PSU 750 by an 650 for 42€ dont buy the 1 tera disk and go for the I7

Cheers

Hi Elf

Mostly is for gaming, watch movies and internet.

That would be great system.. Good luck,  post pics after build :P

• Like 1