Why is filling 4 DIMMs of DDR3 RAM a bad idea?

OnionKnight

• 1 month later...

If youd notice when you order ram if its dual channel is comes in pairs and if its triple channel it comes in a set of 3, theres a reason for that. If you take tripple channel and put in 4 sticks of it, your ram is no longer running in tripple channel mode it then becomes SDRAM.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No one really answered this correctly. If your memory controller supports dual channel ram and you have two matching ram sticks put them in the same color slots. Filling all ram slots is only an issue if you are going for high overclocks because it is harder on the memory controller. My mother board runs tri channel ddr and I use slots 1,3,5. Only an Intel x58 chipset supports tri channel ram. Any other ddr3 ram is going to be ran in a dual channel configuration (2 or 4 sticks).

Basically put the ram in its matching slot colors. You can put it in two different slots but it will run slightly slower in a single channel mode. Its not a big difference anyways. And unless you are going for super high overclocks or running super fast ram ddr2 1066+ or dd3 1866+ it doesnt matter if you fill all the slots or not. If you use 2 different types of memory, all memory will only run as fast as the slowest stick.

Yep... I'll be back to pwn you noobs soon :wub:

• Like 1

No one really answered this correctly. If your memory controller supports dual channel ram and you have two matching ram sticks put them in the same color slots. Filling all ram slots is only an issue if you are going for high overclocks because it is harder on the memory controller. My mother board runs tri channel ddr and I use slots 1,3,5. Only an Intel x58 chipset supports tri channel ram. Any other ddr3 ram is going to be ran in a dual channel configuration (2 or 4 sticks).

Basically put the ram in its matching slot colors. You can put it in two different slots but it will run slightly slower in a single channel mode. Its not a big difference anyways. And unless you are going for super high overclocks or running super fast ram ddr2 1066+ or dd3 1866+ it doesnt matter if you fill all the slots or not. If you use 2 different types of memory, all memory will only run as fast as the slowest stick.

Yep... I'll be back to pwn you noobs soon :wub:

WB =D

• 3 months later...

i think i am the only one who konws the rite answer and also who knows the rite questions

filling 4 slots doesnt make any difference in performance unless you are using all 4 gigs of the memory

which never actualy happens !!

4 dimms of ddr3 will cause the page size to increase on harddrive'

4 gigs means 4 gigs of page file on hard drive, if you are using 2 gigs then 2 gigs of hard drive space is useless !!!

but the same is true if you put 1 dimm of 4 gig in one slot.

and the real question should be "why is filling channel 1 important before filling channel 2"

channel 1 = slot 1 and slot 3

channel 2 = slot 2 and slot 4

for x58 and above

channel 1 = slot 1 and slot 4

channel 2 = slot 2 and slot 5

channel 3 = slot 3 and slot 6

it is always advisable to fill channel 1 first

because it is closer to the cpu - the closer the memory is to the cpu the lower is the timing path - the better the performance (yes that 1/2 inch of space makes a difference when it comes to 2 and 3 ghz speeds)

:yahoo Nailed it !! :yahoo

Thank god we have you. We would probably still puzzle over it otherwise. I'll quickly delete my 4GB pagefile in Linux and will be back from my video conversion which requires sligthy less then 4GB of RAM later. I'm afraid of playing a video game besides because that might actually burn my RAM since I dared to put it on slot 3 and 4.

Thank god we have you. We would probably still puzzle over it otherwise. I'll quickly delete my 4GB pagefile in Linux and will be back from my video conversion which requires sligthy less then 4GB of RAM later. I'm afraid of playing a video game besides because that might actually burn my RAM since I dared to put it on slot 3 and 4.

u could have just said that u didnt understand and u need further explaination :yahoo

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 slots with 2 gig per slot DD3 @ 667 Mhz dual channel which for this game runs great However theres a new game ( Storm of War ) coming out in Oct, 2010 Were i might get new Ram @1024 Mhz and fill it to 8 gigs with my 1TB HD and dual core I shouldn't have a problem even with the sever being in Russia ..on are severs i run a 50 - 80 ping and on euro severs its 80- 120 ping Long as you keep your computer clean and defrag and have more then 512 mb you shouldn't have problems

I have 2 slots with 2 gig per slot DD3 @ 667 Mhz dual channel which for this game runs great However theres a new game ( Storm of War ) coming out in Oct, 2010 Were i might get new Ram @1024 Mhz and fill it to 8 gigs with my 1TB HD and dual core I shouldn't have a problem even with the sever being in Russia ..on are severs i run a 50 - 80 ping and on euro severs its 80- 120 ping Long as you keep your computer clean and defrag and have more then 512 mb you shouldn't have problems

i think you might be lil off topic there !! :yahoo