Need some help

Krayzie

Alright guys, I was asked by a friend to help build him a PC for video rendering and such. So he ordered the parts. Come time to install today, everything goes flawlessly. Everything plugs in, lights up, spins, and what not. Turn off the computer and unplug it to move it from the kitchen to my bedroom to plug it into a monitor, and the thing would boot 1 second and restart on repeat.

So we unplugged everything, replugged it in, reseated the CPU, tried everything didn't work. Took the power supply out of my PC (Seasonic 620W Modular) and just plugged in power to the mobo and CPU and it starts right up and Posts and all unlike with his power supply (Seasonic 450W Modular).

So we went and purchased a new one, figured hey, power supply went goofy for some odd reason. We get home, rewire it all, and the damn thing still wont start with the new one (Thermaltake 850W Modular). We fiddle around with it, move cables around, plug them into different holes on the power supply, nothing works. We remove all harddrives, and it posts. plug in 1 harddrive nothing, 2 nothing, 3 nothing, 4 nothing. Same with both DVD drives. And now it wont even post. Wont turn on. The mobo is getting power, as it shows the little green LED about the pwr button on the mobo itself.  But we have no idea what can be causing it and not allowing it to work now when it worked fine at first.

PC Specs

ASUS Z97A motherboard

Intel i7 4790k

Nvidia MSI 970 Gaming Edition

32GB 2133 4x8 Corsair Vengeance Ram

3 Seagate 2TB HDD

1 Samsung 850 Pro SSD

2 Asus dvd drives

Thermaltake 850W Modular supply

and Corsair h100i liquid coolinng

Rosewill Thor V2 case

Weve tried everything short of taking it completely apart and checking to make sure the mobo isnt grounding funky, or running my power supply completely to his computer to see if it runs it.

Any help is appreciated!

Have you tried doing a bypass on your power supply only connected to A/C?

conector_atx_cable.jpg

Also can watch this:

Edit:

IMO I will start with every hardware, 1st test PSU, 2nd PSU+Mobo and keep connecting...

Have not tried anything with the PSU. As I've gotten it to start everything prior, and just bought it 3 hours ago, but now it doesn't want to do shit. Honestly I'm aiming more towards an issue with the MOBO...

Long story short, yes and no. At first forgot to plug it in, just had the 24 pin in, but it still ran and that's how it was running at first. Only after we moved it and completely took it apart did we realize we forgot to run it with the 8 pin. So we tried it with the 8 pin, and it didn't work.

"Power good" signal is lost.  Look that up on the internet.  Somewhere on the MB you do not have the power

pins correct.  Do one at a time.  Starting with just the MB and the PSU.  No other devices plugged in except the Video.

Reset the Bios to default.

Keep us informed

Ive tried starting it with just bare MOBO and power supply, and now it won't do anything. Won't post, or start up. The PWR light on the MOBO stays on, but that's all I get out of it. If I plug in the CPU cooler and fans, it will try to start the fans, but about 1/2 a second after it tries that they turn back off and nothing. If I plug everything back in, it won't even spin the fans. Think its a dead MOBO?

Did you have the video card and memory plugged in?  Won't start without it.

First thing to do is remove the jumper from the bios pins and put it on the other two pins.

This will reset the bios to default.  Then put the jumper back.

Now try to start it.

There should be a minimum of two power connections to the mobo.  The 24 pin and the 4 pin.

There may be another one.

There should be two power connections to the video card.

More than likely something is grounding out the system.  Which causes the power good signal to tell the PSU

to turn off.

Check all stand-offs on the case.  Make sure each one has a hole assigned to it.  If an extra stand-off is in there

and it contacts the mobo ,  it can short out the MB.

First thing I would do.  Take the PSU and the mobo out of the case and put the mobo onto a cardboard or wood board.

Then plug in the memory, video card, and the PSU.  See if it lights up and runs. 

There is one possibility that could have happened.  When you moved the PC from one room to the other,

static electricity fried something.  If it got redirected it could have shorted the CPU or memory or anything on that MB.

Edited by Ol' Smoke

I removed the CMOS which should also reset the bios, correct?

Both the memory, as well as the video card 14 pin were both plugged in. Had the 24 Pin connector as well as the 8 pin connector on the Mobo were both connected as well.

Pretty sure that only 9 standoffs were used, but that is the next step is to take it out of the case and test it that way to see if it is a grounding issue.

But have also moved it back to the kitchen where it was built. Plugged in my PSU to it and it worked. Plugged the other PSU into it and it worked with only certain items that we have on the PC.

Also, forgot to mention I have gotten it to post without the video card in there. Maybe even without the ram, but I can't remember on that one. The mobo runs a test and flashes an LED at each section, if it doesnt have say the video card, the post will stop there with the LED lit up at the pci slot. Or if no harddrives connected, it will light up the LED at the boot drive LED.

It should not post with out the RAM.  Now do this.  Put in the video card and hook it up to the monitor.

See how far the boot gets.  Use the pause button to stop the screen if needed.

Are you getting any beeps when it is booting?  The type of beeps and the number indicate the problem.

You can find BIOS beep codes for your BIOS on the net.  Make sure the speaker is jumpered on the board.

I will check back faster with you.

I will hook it up to a monitor shortly. When I did get it to post, it would stop on the no boot drive LED and beep one long and either four short or five short beeps, it had 5 beeps but not sure if it was connected to the previous 4 as ti was a little shorter.

fm5GSY.jpg

Sorry, the shiny parts like to deflect the light alot and make it a little hard to see.

Also forgot to mention, the screws for the 2.5HDD and the MOBO screws were extremely hard to differentiate between and couldn't find any that looked different. Some would fight in the standoffs, and others would fit and just spin. And just in moving the case just now, one screw did fall out of the very top middle standoff hole.