partition help

#ApeGoD

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone knows can i make additional partition in my laptop.
I currently have one (C:)891gb and (D:)25GB.
The (C:) consists of 8gb SSD which helps the windows to startup. However id like to make one more drive so i can install stuff there without messing around with windows on the (C:). If I make it would i possibly mess something up?

Thanks

You mean:

C: for OS, D: Your Documents and E: software&Downloads, if you need to partition your HDD the best way and easy is using this software that helps me a lot, MiniTool® Partition Wizard

homepw.png

If I make it would i possibly mess something up?

If you do a partition of C: you cant mess with Files cuz you're taking free space to do a new partition, so, there is no problem.

If your using Windows 7 go to Start>Computer and Right Click>Select Manage>Go to Disk Management Under "storage". There has all of your partitions. At the bottom are blue bars above your C:/D: whatever you have. Since you want to take some storage out of your C: drive, just right click the C: drive at the bottom and click "Shrink Volume" and follow the instructions, put in as many Gigs as you want (1024 MB is 1 Gb). Once it's allocated, you then see that it has a black bar on top of the part you just created because its "unallocated" storage or Free space. Right click it and select "simple volume" and that gets you started to create another partition. There you can click Next through "Specify volume size" then you can click next to assign it a Letter, then Click Next to label it and leave everything else as is. Once your finished it will give you a review of what you want, if its what you want, click finish. The partition will format and become available to you.

Edit: This Works with Windows 8 too.

Edited by F3@R

Making partitions in itself should be harmless but adding or removing space from one partition to another could mess system up. So for starters do backup of important documents and other files and see how its going.

Its better habbit to make your OS partition minimal as possible and leave other space unallocated, so you can make partitions as needed afterwards. (Even if shrinking and expanding partitions have minimal risk then adding space from "other side" of disk to 1st partition is free way to format C:). Also do some planning right now as how many partitions and how big do you need as one can have only 4 primary partitions per one HD. (You can have more but then you´d need to use logical partitions.)

Also a good program is linux based Gparted as you can log off of your working system, start Gparted from CD and do modifications on non-working HD. Which is good as modding system files on use can mess up the OS.