Theory of parallel universes

Poseidon

In 1954, a young Princeton University doctoral candidate named Hugh Everett III came up with a radical idea: That there exist parallel universes, exactly like our universe. These universes are all related to ours; indeed, they branch off from ours, and our universe is branched off of others.Within these parallel universes, our wars have had different outcomes that the ones we know.Species thata are extinct in our universe have evolved and adapted in others. In other universes, we humans may have become extinct.

This thought boggles the mind and yet, it is still comprehensible.Notions of parallel universes or dimensions that resemble our own have appeared in works of science fiction and have been used as explanations for metaphysics.But why would a young up-and-coming physicist possibly risk his future carrer by posing a theory about parallel universes?

With his Many-Worlds theory, Everett was attempting to answer a rather sticky question related to quanto physics:Why does quantum matter behave erratically?The quantum level is the smallest one science has detected so far.The study of quantum physics began in 1900, when the physicist Max Planck first introduced the concept to the scientific world. Planck's study of radiation yielded some unusual findings that contradicted classical physical laws. These finding suggested that there are other laws at work in the universe, operation on a deeper level than the one we know.

SOURCE:http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/everyday-myths/parallel-universe.htm

• Like 5

Read about parallel universes also a while back. The concept inself is interesting, especially for a sci-fi fan, but also that there are 3-5 different sources for parallelism is even more intriguing.

• 2 weeks later...

I've given some thought to the parallel universe theory. Kinda helps put my own life in perspective. Maybe the other me is well off and successful? Maybe he's a deadbeat? Maybe he's an industrial designer or works with his hands to make furniture? Maybe that could be me.

I think about a ship full of astronauts meeting its parallel counterpart in space and everyone switching places with each other to go back and see what their lives are like "on the other side".

... maybe it's already happened.

Almost anything we can imagine can exist..somewhere sometime..a lot of old sci fi movies have things in them we now have.for instance,mri machines and other scans.Time and space are to us as we perceive them with our very limited info and understanding.Science has to be constantly updated because we discover more information.the wonder of it all

Its an interesting idea but its certainly not new. Has been present in at least 1 religious books for 1400 years already.

http://www.onislam.net/english/ask-about-islam/islam-and-the-world/worldview/167381-parallel-universes-the-endless-possibilities-of-creation.html