[AV/PC] Real World Antivirus Protection Test: 20+ Antiviruses Tested ...

S29yU3C.jpg

363598-real-world-antivirus-protection-t

The full in-depth test results are in the PDF. Chock full of juicy details.

Nine products successfully protected against 99 percent or more of the samples.   Eight of them, including Bitdefender and Kaspersky, earned the top rating, Advanced+. Due to false positives, F-Secure got knocked down one rank to Advanced.

I use and recommend KASPERSKY PURE Total Security for my AV program and also use MALWAREBYTES for other threats and have been 100% clean and virus FREE for years since !

I knew MSE sucked .... but come on Microsoft ... dead last  :blink: ... and yet some people will still recommend Microsoft Security Essentials  :wacko:
Edited by LA_Kings_Fan

I don't use any ongoing antivirus protection. Haven't been infected by anything major in 2-3 years now.

At most I have malwarebytes and superantispyware +a couple rootkit cleaners for those oh shit just in case moments.

The best protection is common sense.

I don't use any ongoing antivirus protection.

The best protection is common sense.

Unplugging the power cord from your computer forever also works...    :rolleyes:

And those 2 sentences kind of contradict one another don't ya think   ;)   ... besides MOST people have ZERO common sense when it comes to keeping their computer safe !   <_<
Edited by LA_Kings_Fan

Not contradicting to me.

I use common sense in my "browsing". Thus I don't see a need for active, and often times annoying AV programs. 

Haven't had a serious infection for 2-3 years now, and that last one was due to old ...habits... that I've since corrected. I run a scan of MWB once every couple months and at most I get those shitty tracking cookie notifications. Which I don't normally care about too much. Otherwise, I am just careful and keep the shit I need updated.

For the average user, it's highly recommended. I've had to clean my Mom's pc I can't count how many times. But for me, personally, I don't run anything.

• Like 1

Comodo or malwarebyes isn't even on the list

Malwarebytes isn't an "ANTI-VIRUS" program as it were, it detects and gets rid of OTHER forms of malware like Trojans, root-kits, phishing and keystroke loggers, etc., you need an actual AV program in combination with MalwarebytesPro, to be completely protected.  

• Leader

I wondered why Symantec's Norton Security Suite was not included pdf report for this test.  The wording I found in http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/security-software/325583-real-world-antivirus-protection-test-winners-and-losers was a bit confusing.  

Also-Rans

Not every security vendor chooses to participate in testing by AV-Comparatives. G DATA's people don't approve of the way the testing system rates protection that depends on user interaction, so they've opted out. Symantec has long contended the file detection test performed by AV-Comparatives is irrelevant. Since this test is included in the all-or-nothing package of tests, Symantec hasn't participated for years.

This time around, AV-Comparatives roped in Symantec and G DATA for testing, for informational purposes. The real-world test is exactly the kind of test Symantec believes should be universal, as it exercises the whole product. Symantec would have earned Advanced+ in this test, with a very high detection rate and few false positives. G DATA would have managed an Advanced rating.

They seem to be referring to a past report, from October 2013, where the two products were included:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/avc_per_201311_en.pdf

It looks like that wording was left from a previous posting.

I've used AVG Free and Avast, not at the same time. Both of which (are/have been) nothing but a pain in the ass, and a resource hog.  I don't think I've been infected in the last er... ... 5 years? Anything my AV has caught has been a false positive, and that's it.