Advice on buying a headset? (Not for Gaming)

Chuckun

Ok since I'm setting up my business, I decided to go down the rout of VoIP for my non-geo business phone number, and will be using softphone technology (software on my PC acting like a VoIP handset).

So I need a headset.. I'm not looking for a gaming headset necessarily, just one for VoIP.. I can't spend much money.  It needs to be as good as a standard phone and that's all..

I have no clue with this stuff, I've never even owned a headset before..

Does anyone have any recommendations or tips?

Thanks a bunch!

Chuck

PS: I Think I would prefer a headset which allows one ear to be free, much like the ones most offices / callcenters use.

Edited by Chuckun

Logitech h110 is what I just nabbed as a filler headset until after Xmas. I played 15 bucks and the thing works like a charm. Noise canceling for cutting out background pollution to boot.

Once I messed around and got it set up the way I wanted, I recorded like 10 vis and my voice sounds pretty decent. Probably be more than necessary for what you need.

Got mine at Wal-Mart.

well i dont know if its too expensive for you, but the Steelseries Siberia v2 is known for its high quality sound and mic, and its really comfortable to wear for even longer periods.

and its available in many colours aswell :D (i have the orange ones)

EDIT: just noticed the one ear thing, you can easily flick one of the earcups or w/e they are called behind the ear :)

Orange.jpg

Edited by Ch11m33y aka. ChiLLy<3

Logitech h110 is what I just nabbed as a filler headset until after Xmas. I played 15 bucks and the thing works like a charm. Noise canceling for cutting out background pollution to boot.

Once I messed around and got it set up the way I wanted, I recorded like 10 vis and my voice sounds pretty decent. Probably be more than necessary for what you need.

Got mine at Wal-Mart.

Seems reasonable - This is going on my list of possibilities.  It's not single-eared but that's not crucial, but would be good.

well i dont know if its too expensive for you, but the Steelseries Siberia v2 is known for its high quality sound and mic, and its really comfortable to wear for even longer periods.

and its available in many colours aswell :D (i have the orange ones)

EDIT: just noticed the one ear thing, you can easily flick one of the earcups or w/e they are called behind the ear :)

Orange.jpg

A bit too much for what I need tbh :-P Definitely don't want a large headset tbh - if it was for gaming I'd be more inclined to look to something bigger like these, but for simple voice calls I'm not looking for such sound quality :-P And all that comes at a price too - they aren't hideously expensive but they are excessive for my needs so it would be a waste of money IMO :)

Ty to both! :)

http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/business-headsets-mic

My roommate had a sennheiser headset last year (he since moved out) and I don't know what model it was but I know it only had one ear piece.

The quality was astounding on the mic and the head phone was reasonable, it was clear for voice communication. The trick is finding a local vendor with a reasonable price or perhaps last years model that was liquidated ^^

I'm all about the cans personally though lol

Edited by CaulkLiquor

http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/business-headsets-mic

My roommate had a sennheiser headset last year (he since moved out) and I don't know what model it was but I know it only had one ear piece.

The quality was astounding on the mic and the head phone was reasonable, it was clear for voice communication. The trick is finding a local vendor with a reasonable price or perhaps last years model that was liquidated ^^

I'm all about the cans personally though lol

Yeah I've used and do trust Sennheiser for decent, low-cost audio.. I'm currently looking at some Sennheisers and some Plantronics headsets.. Plantronics seem to be more well recognised but I do like Sennheiser so I'm leaving my options open between the two :)

EDIT: This seems to be what I'm looking at right now - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plantronics-37852-11-Audio-Mono-Headset/dp/B000GET9P2/ The Plantronics Audio 310, very cheap but effective, judging by the decent reviews.  No volume control though, unfortunately.

EDIT2: Long time no see, buddy!

Edited by Chuckun

well, then i would have to suggest this one: http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/call-center-headset-office-headset-cc-530

my friends father has a company and all the employees use these, ive tried it, its comfy(for a 1 ear headsett) its reliable and awesome audio quality

Edited by Ch11m33y aka. ChiLLy<3

well, then i would have to suggest this one: http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/call-center-headset-office-headset-cc-530

my friends father has a company and all the employees use these, ive tried it, its comfy(for a 1 ear headsett) its reliable and awesome audio quality

Maybe in the future but for now I definitely can't spend £150 on it - that would almost double my startup costs since I am currently only spending about £200 in total :P Thank you for future reference though! :)

Maybe in the future but for now I definitely can't spend £150 on it - that would almost double my startup costs since I am currently only spending about £200 in total :P Thank you for future reference though! :)

whoa what! its gone up in price like a mo***************** it used to be around 90-100... or maby it was on sale dunno :o

Well I really can't afford much right now so I think I am going to go for the Plantronics Audio 310 .. It has great reviews, even the bad reviews are probably the least off-putting bad reviews I've ever seen.. Most of them are using it for basic home use / skype calling friends, but I wont be using it LOADS - I'll be using it for basic communication with a small percentage of clients who aren't happy / comfortable to communicate electronically via email / IM.  The nature of my business prefers written communication anyway, for both parties.

Wish me luck :P