Number of tripmines on (Silent 1) (READ INFO BELOW BEFORE VOTING)

Jhonny/Shinobi

Number of tipmines on (Silent 1) (READ INFO BELOW BEFORE VOTING)  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Increase the number of tripmines when the number of players increases on the server ?

• YES (+ leave comment)
    • NO (+ leave comment)

General info:

This poll is to see how people who play on Silent-mod servers feel about this idea and to have a discussion about the matter, and not simply a voting.

So feel free to vote and comment ! If you don't have an account yet and you watch this as a Guest, this is your moment to create one ! ;)

Although I am writing this topic and I agree with it, I am not the one who came up with it. The credit goes to someone else :)

What is this about ?

It is possible to increase the number of tripmines (= sometimes called laser-mines) when the number of players increases.

The current situation is that there are only 3 tripmines available per team, no matter how many players there are on the team. Which is or feels sometimes too little when there are many players on the server.

The idea is to change this as following:

When there are 1 to 10 players on the team:  3 tripmines are available per team

When there are 11 or more players available on the team: 5 tripmines are available per team.

Server:

If this idea would get the majority of the players behind it, it would also need some testing. So it would be nice to see this only implemented on Silent 1, to see how it goes and how people react in-game and not only on forum. If all goes well, other silent-mod servers could follow.It all depends of course on the desirability on each server, example HC- server with friendly fire on.

• Like 1

Completely agree. When you have more than 10 players on your team, multiple engies will use tripmines to prevent enemy from getting to objective. Sometimes the map requires more tripmines. In addition, if the enemy has a team of 10+, 3 tripmines are not gonna hold them back very much.

I do agree that the number of trip mines is too small.  I am wondering if the number of trip mines should be based on map size or configuration instead of player count?  I only bring this up since smaller maps with a lot of people on would not work well with trip mines everywhere.   

Another idea would be if every engie was allowed 2 trip mines.  This way it would encourage more players to join the ranks of the most killed.  

I do agree that the number of trip mines is too small.  I am wondering if the number of trip mines should be based on map size or configuration instead of player count?  I only bring this up since smaller maps with a lot of people on would not work well with trip mines everywhere.   

Another idea would be if every engie was allowed 2 trip mines.  This way it would encourage more players to join the ranks of the most killed.  

First of all thanks for the ideas/suggestions

About connecting maps and trip-mines: I think that would require a script for every map, but not completely sure. But it is a nice addition if it is  possible :)

About every engineer having 2 mines:

What is the team total, still 3 or 5 ?Don't know if this is possible. But that would also mean if there is only one engineer he could only use 2 trip-mines. Now and then it happens to be the case and that no one of the other team-mates want to be an engineer. Which would be a disadvantage for that team. Or am I misunderstanding your suggestion ? It happens more then you would think :P

@Innis: your first idea i think is not very viable since, as Jhonny said, i think we will need a scrit for every map. Much work for a simple setting.
The second idea is interesting but i think is not going to work. 3 lasermines are, at this point, few for 20 to 30 players. Now, in case there are 5 engis playing, 10 lasermines are too much in my opinion.

I would say , increasing trip mines to 5 per team when there are 10+ players is good and very viable imo. And calculating by team is better than calculating per player . After all , ET is all about team work and for now , engie is one the few remaining places which are not spammed by raters . 

• Like 4

I had to think on this one a bit to really understand why I use trip mines.  Lets be honest, they are not very good at killing people since.... well... everyone can see them and they are more easily destroyed than mines.  (mines need to be spotted first)

My primary use for them as an engie is really to know where someone is (defensive tool).  For example:  In baserace, I usually put one at each under base entrance.  This way I know when an opposing engie is trying to plant.  Then once those entrances are blown, I put them over the two ladder entrances... again, not to kill anyone, but to let me know when someone is trying to sneak up.  Its not the best solution but it helps.

The other map i use them on: (cant remember the name)   I place one or two at an elevator entrance.  I can be defending one entrance and listen for them to blow at the other.  If it blows, I can run back to make sure the obj is not getting built. 

Even though I would like to use them to kill as many opposing players as possible, I think (for me at least) they are better suited as a defensive notification tool.  Just thought I would add this to the conversation.  

@Jhonny and Maximo:  I didn't think it would be an easy task. My first idea would be better suited at the mod level instead of having scripts for each map.  I also agree Maximo, too many would be completely out of hand.  

• 2 weeks later...