Try to fathom this about our universe...

Ol Smoke

Except that the universe is expanding at the speed of light, correct? So we could never see the "edge" of the universe.

if my understanding is correct, then yes, we could never, from here, directly see, without delay, an "edge", my point was regardless of an edge (if such a thing exists) area would be beyond it.

• Clan Friend

In my opinion (but first I would need to read what all scientists and philosophers said about the matter, or I would have to reinvent the wheel - which is a bit hard in this case) one question that interests me is what is space exaclty, that is, if it's something having a physical reality or not.

After all if I ask whether space is infinite or not, before answering a question one is supposed to understand it fully.

For example if I asked 'is asoijhfm rbukngsku?' everyone would first ask what those random words mean :P (beacuse that's an extreme case)

But it's funny how people start answering questions, when they think they know what it means (e.g. 'is this thing good or bad?' and people going on answering and maybe nobody knows what 'good' means exactly and if it's an universal principle or not)

---

If space is just nothingness, then if we imagine only one object in it, and we say 'the object has moved' that would make no sense because one could say: how do you know that it moved, if there is nothing else to compare its position with? So if space is nothingness the question whether it's infinite or not makes no sense.

If instead space is something physical, then talking about it being infinite or not makes sense, but then we need to know what exactly space is and other things. For example if an object moves from point A to point B ion space, we can say it's still the same object? Or maybe physical objects are just a property of space, like images on a computer monitor are just pixels belonging to that screen, and if you move the image we cannot say it's 'the same'

In my opinion (but first I would need to read what all scientists and philosophers said about the matter, or I would have to reinvent the wheel - which is a bit hard in this case) one question that interests me is what is space exaclty, that is, if it's something having a physical reality or not.

After all if I ask whether space is infinite or not, before answering a question one is supposed to understand it fully.

For example if I asked 'is asoijhfm rbukngsku?' everyone would first ask what those random words mean :P (beacuse that's an extreme case)

But it's funny how people start answering questions, when they think they know what it means (e.g. 'is this thing good or bad?' and people going on answering and maybe nobody knows what 'good' means exactly and if it's an universal principle or not)

---

If space is just nothingness, then if we imagine only one object in it, and we say 'the object has moved' that would make no sense because one could say: how do you know that it moved, if there is nothing else to compare its position with? So if space is nothingness the question whether it's infinite or not makes no sense.

If instead space is something physical, then talking about it being infinite or not makes sense, but then we need to know what exactly space is and other things. For example if an object moves from point A to point B ion space, we can say it's still the same object? Or maybe physical objects are just a property of space, like images on a computer monitor are just pixels belonging to that screen, and if you move the image we cannot say it's 'the same'

What is space? It is one of the biggest question in Physics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iZ1-csQFUA

Space is not empty, it is not nothing. "Space is so real that it can bend, twist, and ripple." "We think space is outerspace, something far away, but space is everywhere." Truth is there is no consensus on what space is. But just because you don't understand it fully, does not mean you can't discuss things about it or theories about it.

Look at an atom, it is mostly "empty" space.

Dark matter/energy:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

When look if something has moved or not, you need a reference point. So in space, people use different reference points, like the center of the Universe, or Earth, or the Sun.

Your example about the computer screen, when you move an object on the screen like your mouse, it is still the same only you are seeing it from different light (different set of pixels, but still the same photons and same object)

If you are look at the moon and the sunlight hits the moon and then hits your eye, you can see the moon. Lets say there is another star close enough and it's light hits the moon and hits your eye. It is still the moon, but from a different light source. The moon didn't change, the light didn't change either, it is still just photons. So the only difference is that it came from a different light source.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

It's difficult for me to believe that we're the only inhabitants of this planet/galaxy, considering space is always expanding and growing and that there are so many places in space that we haven't yet visited. Call me crazy, but I think aliens exist - there's no way humans are the only thing out there, and we're pretty damn full of ourselves if we do believe this.

• 4 months later...

"the universe is expanding at the speed of light, correct? So we could never see the "edge" of the universe." 

YES, something like 125,000,000 light years a second  or whatever...we cant conceive of it, so the number doesn't matter....

We should open up a 'Filosofical"  (spelling intentional cause we all a bunch dummies, in comparison to it all)  OR  the like

Have you guys ever ruminated upon the idea....that TIME IS A CREATION?

• Like 1

Okay great stuff guys.  Now here is another something to ponder.  (I'm gonna love reading about this)

If we take into consideration that the big bang theory is correct and our universe was created at the same moment in space time, then all the galaxies and all the solar systems and planets

are the same age.  True or not?

Think of it this way.  You have a ball suspended in the air, full of marbles and BB's.  In the center of the ball is a stick of C4.  When you ignite the C4 all the stuff inside is thrown into the air.

(Now if this was done in space, it would make more sense.) Because of the nature of explosions, some things are thrown very far and some are not.  Now, because of the distance between

spacial objects we think that the galaxies that are far away from us are older.  But is that true of the objects inside the ball?  Aren't they the same age, since they were placed there at the same

time?  So after the explosion, we look around and find marbles everywhere.  During their flight from the big bang each marble had it's own speed and trajectory.  But, did they age during that

flight?  Would the galaxies have aged during the big bang?  If everything exploded at the same time, isn't it all the same age?

So with that in mind,  would a civilization on a planet that was at the forefront of the bang, be any more advanced and older, than a civilization on a planet that was at the back of the bang.

Pondering isn't it?  If you have study Quantum Physics as I have, these questions come up all the time.  Studying QP doesn't make you smarter it makes you more inquisitive.

Such as this QP problem.  If you explode a round device in space that is filled with marbles, and they all fly away from the center of the explosion in all directions,  which ones are getting

farther from each other the fastest?

Expand your mind...not your pants.

Edited by Ol' Smoke
  • Like 2

• Clan Friend

Now, because of the distance between

spacial objects we think that the galaxies that are far away from us are older.  But is that true of the objects inside the ball?  Aren't they the same age, since they were placed there at the same

time?  So after the explosion, we look around and find marbles everywhere.  During their flight from the big bang each marble had it's own speed and trajectory.  But, did they age during that

flight?  Would the galaxies have aged during the big bang?  If everything exploded at the same time, isn't it all the same age?

hmm... but what is time, exactly? is there an universal time reference or not?

For instance, when we say that 2 events happened at the same time, what do we mean exactly? I have always been interested in this kind of stuff, but way too lazy to read books about it (probably too full of maths and without enough answers to justify the effort ^^)

Something I have read some time ago, and I found it really interesting is this: if someone says 'everything in the whole universe stopped for x seconds' would that sentence make sense or not? If nothing moves, how do we measure time?

• Like 2

hmm... but what is time, exactly? is there an universal time reference or not?

For instance, when we say that 2 events happened at the same time, what do we mean exactly? I have always been interested in this kind of stuff, but way too lazy to read books about it (probably too full of maths and without enough answers to justify the effort ^^)

Something I have read some time ago, and I found it really interesting is this: if someone says 'everything in the whole universe stopped for x seconds' would that sentence make sense or not? If nothing moves, how do we measure time?

S4MYFQO.gif

• Like 2

To answer Sid and Raskin.

Think of distance, time and spatiality in this way. 

Two trains traveling along side each other at 80 mph.  You are inside one train, and your friend is in the other train.

At a crossing network, your train continues on following the same track and direction. But, your friends train slows down,

and takes an exit track to another direction.  But, the train maintains it's current speed of 60 mph for the rest of the trip.  While

your train keeps going at 80 mph.

As the two trains split up, you look over at your friend and wave goodbye,  and he does the same back to you.  Which one of you

is going faster?  Which one of you is getting farther apart from the other?  Which one of you is getting smaller in perspective to the other one?

All I know is that I aged some as reading this thread,but I have not been out of my house so I have not traveled any distance from my perspective..although I am always in motion being attached to the earth so I have moved some distance....

• Like 1

Here is what I was getting at about the trains, and this will conclude this thread for me.

Neither one of us is going faster than the other.  Because we aren't moving.  The things around us are moving because the train we are in is moving.

Therefore we are both sitting still.

Neither one of us is getting farther apart from the other.  But the universe we are sitting in (Train) is moving away at 140mph.  Giving us the illusion of distance.

The getting smaller thing is hard to explain.  Which is smaller?  A train coming at you, or a train going away from you?  Actually they are the same.  The train is

the same size, but our eyes lead us to believe that a train that is just passing us, is larger than a train coming at us.  The only thing in space that remains the same

as it does here on Earth is sound.  Sound maintains a constant speed whether it is in space or here.  That is how we know that an object is coming at us or going

away from us.  The pitch of the sound it makes.  Like a siren on a fire truck.  If you listen for just a second or two, you can tell if it is coming toward you or going away.

The pitch of the siren changes the farther it gets from you.  It also changes, the closer it gets to you. Plus it gets louder or quieter depending on it's direction to you.

That's how we know if galaxies are moving away from us.  Galaxies make a sound.  If you monitor that sound long enough, you will determine it's direction to you.

It took over 40 years to determine that the galaxies are moving away from each other.  Which goes right back to the exploding ball.

The last question.  Who is getting smaller?  You already know that.  Neither of us is getting smaller.  It is the illusion of sight that is making you think you are getting

smaller.  In QP, nothing changes.....ever.  Unless it is acted upon by another source.

In MRI technology, QP is the main source of the image.  Your water atoms spin at a given rate of precession.  Nothing can change that.  So we use it to make pictures

of your insides.  What we can change is the direction that the atom is spinning in.  As the atom is precessing, it is giving off radio noise at a given frequency from the

tissue it is in.  When I put you into the tunnel of an MRI, all the atoms in your body align with the North and South of the magnet you are in.  If I give a large enough

RF pulse, it will move the North pole of that atom, 90 degrees.  If I turn it off, the atom goes back to North.  When it returns to north, it gives off the extra RF I gave it.

So if I turn the antenna on, inside the tunnel, I can actually hear that RF.  If I map it's coordinates, I can tell where it came from.  If I read the RF signature, I can tell

what kind of tissue it came from.  So by doing that many hundreds of times, I can build a picture of what you look like on the inside.  Since tumor tissue differs from

the tissue that surrounds it, we can actually see it.  Most tumors show up whiter than other tissue near it.  Then by adding a second pulse at a selected time, we

can see moving objects in the body.  Mainly blood.  Since blood has so much water and iron in it, it shows up bright white inside the artery.  This gives us an outline

of where the blood is going.  Since tumors need more blood, we can actually see it because of the blood feeding it.  But in the case of knees or elbows or other joint

problems, we look for the dark outline around the meniscus or ligament that is damaged.  It a ligament is torn, you will see a dark band across it.  Because there is

no tissue there.

One of the biggest discoveries made in MRI was the discovery that drug addicts who do meth or cocaine have these little brain fluid filled holes in their brain.  Ever

wonder why they get so stupid after a while?  A lot of their brain is now a little pool of water.  I have seen this myself.  I have actually seen the scans of addicts, done

over a period of years.  The holes keep multiplying.  The feeling is that everytime they do the drugs, another little hole is made.  MS does the same thing.

I hope you enjoyed reading this and I appreciate the interest in the thread.

• Like 2