Headlight swap on my truck.

Antichrist

I have a 1995 Tahoe, and the original headlights are a plastic material that over time fades and becomes cloudy. 

I tried the headlight lens restore about 1.5 years ago, and they've just become cloudy again so I decided to convert the headlights back to the 1988-1989 quad headlight style that was available on the Chevy and GMC trucks.

BEFORE:

post-4795-0-63598200-1378638944_thumb.jpg

AT THE HALFWAY POINT:

post-4795-0-80141100-1378638713_thumb.jpg

AFTER:

post-4795-0-40703600-1378638967_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

It was just the other day I was talking with someone and said "do you remember when you had to change the whole light fixture not just a bulb?"  Looks pretty good Anti.

• Like 1

It was just the other day I was talking with someone and said "do you remember when you had to change the whole light fixture not just a bulb?"  Looks pretty good Anti.

Thanks bro :) Yeah this goes back to changing the whole fixture, but it seems easier, just 2 screws in front and the whole headlight comes right out, unplug it, and plug the new one in. The old style required reaching in under the hood and it was difficult to change the low beam bulb on this truck with all the stuff in the way like the battery, charcoal canister, etc..

• Leader

I remember a nephew bringing his car over for me to help him change his headlight.  I looked and looked and could not figure out how to do it.  I finally asked to see the replacement unit.  That's when I had an "oh, crap!" moment, and the hard became easy and I was introduced to those new-fangled light bulbs. 

• Like 1

I remember a nephew bringing his car over for me to help him change his headlight. I looked and looked and could not figure out how to do it. I finally asked to see the replacement unit. That's when I had an "oh, crap!" moment, and the hard became easy and I was introduced to those new-fangled light bulbs.

Lol....yep just twist and push in.

But now you get the yellow haze because of the plastic cover instead of glass...one huge drawback.

Edited by Wizbang

Looks great!

My previous car, VW Jetta had what looked like the clear coat was coming off. If you got them wet, they looked ok, but as soon as they dried looked like crap.

I took 1000 grit sand paper and sanded them down. Then I took 2000 grit sand paper and sanded them down. That alone made a HUGE improvment. Then I used headlight polishing compound for good measure.