Help me with Indian food!!!

Antichrist

My girlfriend and I love trying new dishes from around the world, and we've always wanted to try AUTHENTIC Indian food, but we don't know what's really authentic, so we haven't tried eating at any Indian restaurants here. We don't want to eat some half Indian/half American food. We want the real thing!

So I figured I could ask here. I know of a few people who live in India, and some who have lived there!

So can any of you suggest a recipe that we can cook at home? We would like to try something that just totally captures the essence of Indian food. A link from online would be great, but if I can ask so much as for you to verify the ingredients and method of preparing, I would appreciate it!

Something that's popular/common, but yet amazing in flavor. Something that maybe your mother or grandmother would prepare for the family. Something to make us say "WOW we want to try more!"

We plan to purchase all necessary ingredients, with no substitutions for anything. I want to feel like we're visiting India and enjoying the cuisine :D

Thank you all in advance!

-Anti

• Like 3

I'm not indian but i try to help you, i like Chicken tandori.

post-4262-0-31430600-1374420268_thumb.jpg

Set-up time: 10 minutes
Time of cooking: 5 minutes

Ingredients (for 3 people): - 4 chicken escalopes
- 4 spoons with soup Tandoori spice
- 25 milk Cl (or of Greek yoghourt)
- 3 spoons with oil soup
- 3 spoons with lemon juice soup

Preparation of the receipt:

To prepare the day before!

To mix the spice Tandoori (red Indian spice), the milk or of Greek yoghourt, the oil and the juice of lemon.

To cut out chicken escalopes of small pieces (to remove the fat) and to mix them with the preparation.

To let rest 24:00 with the expenses.

To make roast the pieces with the frying pan (or roast out of skewers)

• Like 4

post-4262-0-03833400-1374420759_thumb.jpg

Shrimp curry
 Set-up time: 15 minutes
Time of cooking: 20 minutes

Ingredients (for 4 people): - 500 G of cooked shrimps
- 20 G of butter
- 1 onion thin slice
- 2 crushed cloves of garlic
- 1 spoon with soup of curry
- 250 G of cut fresh tomatos of pieces
- 2 spoons with lemon juice soup

Preparation of the receipt:

To peel shrimps cooked by leaving the tails. To reserve.

To dissolve butter in a frying pan. To make return the onion and garlic until the onion becomes to tighten. To add the powder of curry and to make return 2 min.

To then add tomatos and the juice of lemon, to cover. To give a bubble and to make quiver with soft fire during 10 min.

To throw shrimps in the preparation and to leave on fire until the shrimps are hot.

I think that some admins could give you better receipt :rolleyes:

• Like 3

ask me i am the next thinking Indian master-chef :P   see all the things u will get in restaurants is not authentic frankly speaking Indian authentic food is simple but loaded with flavors as people had asked me for Indian chicken masala curry i wrote a whole topic about it http://fearless-assassins.com/topic/42410-indian-chicken-masala-curry/ read it here this is my mothers recipe and success is guaranteed but since you would not find all spices up there taste may be different another dish if u want i even tell u vegetarian.  

Shrimp curry is not Indian its from Goa having mostly portugese influence and not authentic Indian i never had it but i can guarantee u that its not authentic Indian but chicken tandoori is authentic to India. try masala currry its damn tasty

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Anti ,  I remembered that  my mom made this sweet [Alwar ka kalakand] last week and it was totally delicious ! So here I am sharing the recipe with you . 

But before that , try reading about the dish history here - - http://www.thehindu.com/features/magazine/in-search-of-alwar-ka-kalakand/article4884208.ece

The Recipe [ verified by me and it tasted superb ] : 

1. Boil 5 litres of milk . 

2. While it is still boiling , add 600 gms of sugar to it . 

3. Then , curdle it using some amount of tartari [ any lemon based curdling agent will do ] 

4. Then , keep stirring it and allow the milk to thicken on high flame for 10-15 mins . 

5.Then pour it in moulds [  some dough moulds will do ] rubbed with ghee and sprinkled with little elaichi , almond pieces and pistachios .

6.Leave it to cool for around 1 hour . [ i dont wait that long and i taste it once its cooled to warm condition ] 

7.Once cool , when the milk is sliced , the inside it red or brown in color , which indicates that it has been made correctly . 

Try it and tell me anti :) 

P.s : i will post the other recipes tomorrow coz my mom has written it somewhere .. will post it in a while :) 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've made this curry before with the girlfriend. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Indian-Chicken-Curry-II/Detail.aspx?evt19=1

And this naan bread several times. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Naan/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=naan&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe

So damn good. 

If you want super easy and maybe even better, get these taste of india packets from Amazon. I've only had the butter curry chicken and it's the bomb.

http://www.amazon.com/Kitchens-India-Butter-Chicken-3-5-Ounce/dp/B000V17MLS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377020605&sr=8-1&keywords=taste+of+india

• 4 weeks later...

Anti ,  I remembered that  my mom made this sweet [Alwar ka kalakand] last week and it was totally delicious ! So here I am sharing the recipe with you . 

But before that , try reading about the dish history here - - http://www.thehindu.com/features/magazine/in-search-of-alwar-ka-kalakand/article4884208.ece

The Recipe [ verified by me and it tasted superb ] : 

1. Boil 5 litres of milk . 

2. While it is still boiling , add 600 gms of sugar to it . 

3. Then , curdle it using some amount of tartari [ any lemon based curdling agent will do ] 

4. Then , keep stirring it and allow the milk to thicken on high flame for 10-15 mins . 

5.Then pour it in moulds [  some dough moulds will do ] rubbed with ghee and sprinkled with little elaichi , almond pieces and pistachios .

6.Leave it to cool for around 1 hour . [ i dont wait that long and i taste it once its cooled to warm condition ] 

7.Once cool , when the milk is sliced , the inside it red or brown in color , which indicates that it has been made correctly . 

Try it and tell me anti :)

P.s : i will post the other recipes tomorrow coz my mom has written it somewhere .. will post it in a while :)

woo delicious

• 4 weeks later...

I think that a Biryani might be a nice thing to try :) Sometimes make a really tasty one with chicken (its probably not completely authentic, but still... it tastes delicious!) and it does not take long at all to cook! Maybe it doesn't capture the essence of indian cousin but it is still really tasty, easy to prepare, and may boost your interest to get more familiar with indian/asian cousin. I'll see if i can find the recipe

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think that a Biryani might be a nice thing to try :) Sometimes make a really tasty one with chicken (its probably not completely authentic, but still... it tastes delicious!) and it does not take long at all to cook! Maybe it doesn't capture the essence of indian cousin but it is still really tasty, easy to prepare, and may boost your interest to get more familiar with indian/asian cousin. I'll see if i can find the recipe

I eat it every week :D yummy yum :)  I  eat the veg version tho xD

• Like 1

Close to where I live now is a well known place called Prashad. http://www.prashad.co.uk/  They are vegetarian restaurant winning a few awards in last 2 years since "discovered" by G. Ramsay (Bib Gourmand from Michelin just a month ago). On their FB pages, blog, twitter etc. you can find some awesome looking recipes. 

• Like 1