HELP! Cable modem disconnecting

Here is my problem: 

I use Time Warner for my internet (Cable broadband).

Speed is 20MB/s

Cisco Linksys E1000 Router

I was using a Motorola SB 5101 modem (I believe 2.0 DOCSIS). Internet would occasionally disconnect. This would happen sometimes while playing, sometimes just on a the forums... Sometimes it would reconnect in about a minute. Other times it would connect/disconnect 5-10 times over a period of 30 minutes before it would stay online.

I changed my router to an old one I had, and still had the same issue (So I blamed the modem). This old router also gave me a bad connection for my Roku streaming player, so I switched back to my Linksys. 

I bought a new cable modem( Not used or refurbished product), Motorola SB 6141 (Supports up to 160mb/s down, 120mb/s up) DOCSIS 3.0. Time warner DOES support DOCSIS 3.0 technology. Verified on website.

I installed the new modem last weekend on Sunday. I had no problems up until today...Now today (Friday) my modem has disconnected TWICE this morning while I was on the server.

I tried running WINMTR, but no help for this, since when it disconnects it just says host not available for everything.

What else can I look at? What can make a modem completely reset itself, sometimes repeatedly?

Same problem with 2 different modems now...

What can make a modem completely reset itself, sometimes repeatedly? - Go with your authorized dealer where you bought it and ask for a replacement immediately and that you've got let you keep on testing, it must be a manufacturing defect, because should not do it by himself.

What can make a modem completely reset itself, sometimes repeatedly? - Go with your authorized dealer where you bought it and ask for a replacement immediately and that you've got let you keep on testing, it must be a manufacturing defect, because should not do it by himself.

2 Modems, same manufacturer, different models. One I've had for years, one is brand new. The chances to have the same problem are slim.....

I am reviewing the logs now, trying to make sense of them and figure out when the disconnect happened so I can post that event.

I am reviewing the logs now, trying to make sense of them and figure out when the disconnect happened so I can post that event.    

ok mate :)

Edited by Jopa

Found the logs when it reset itself:

TIME                               PRIORITY   CODE     MESSAGE

Mar 01 2013 04:37:56    3-Critical    R04.0    Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=(MAC removed);CMTS-MAC=(MAC removed);CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

EDIT: Regarding the error code:

T4 ( Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received )

Explanation: The cable modem did not received a station maintenance opportunity in which to transmit a Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) message within the T4 timeout period (30 to 35 seconds). The cable modem is resetting its cable interface and restarting the registration process. Typically, this indicates an occasional, temporary loss of service, but if the problem persists, check for possible service outages or maintenance activity on this particular headend system. This error message is DOCSIS event message is R04.0, Ranging Request.

• Leader

I had a somewhat similar experience with a DSL modem.  The problem started with the occasional modem re-synch, until it eventually did it all the time.  The TelCo ended up replacing the drop-line, the line from the pole to my house.

Your cable company should be able to run a line test to your powered-up modem.

BTW, I once had to call my cable co out for a TV signal problem.  The tech who came said that when another tech installed the cable-internet device on their line, he had tightened something down too much. :mad:

IMO, I would say RedBaird is on the right track. Sounds like a signaling issue, perhaps from the pole into your home. TW may need to come out and do some testing. I had a similar issue but luckily it was caught during initial setup.

• 3 weeks later...

I currently have this problem as well, I have cox for the provider. I can wiggle my the jack coming out of the wall and it will disconnect if I do it hard enough. Mine doesn't happen enough to get past my lack of caring. But it is the exact same thing. It is the line not the modem, although it your case it might be located in a different place in the data path.

So far since that first day of problems with the new modem I haven't had any issues. The problems seems to have corrected itself, in the fact that it was probably time warner causing it.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

Sounds like noise on the line to me, hence the re-syncing for up to 10 minutes at a time. Its clearly not just 1 frequency that cannot keep stability if it is doing it often. If it happens again speak to the carrier and ask them to perform full end to end tests :)