Student opens fire at California high school, wounding one

slenderman

UPDATED, 11:30 a.m. PT: At least one person was shot at a high school in California on Thursday morning, authorities there say.

The shooting occurred in the science building at Taft Union High School in Taft, Calif., at approximately 9 a.m. local time, a Kern County Sheriff's official told Yahoo News.

The sheriff's official said the suspected shooter—a student at the school—was taken into custody, and a shotgun was recovered at the scene.

One victim, a fellow student, was airlifted to Kern Medical Center in Bakersfield, Calif., with a shotgun wound to the upper right chest, the official said. The official did not comment on his or her condition.

A second person, identified by the official as a teacher at the school, was also injured, but declined medical treatment. The injury does not appear to be related to the shooting itself, the official said.

ABC's Kero-Bakersfield affiliate said it received calls from students who were hiding in closets inside the school, located about 120 miles north of Los Angeles.

Students were evacuated while sheriff and fire personnel conducted room-to-room searches. The high school was featured in the 1986 film "The Best of Times" starring Robin Williams and Kurt Russell.

The shootings come less than a month after 26 people, including 20 children, were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., in one of the worst school shootings in U.S. history, leading to calls for reforms to the country's gun laws.

On Thursday, Vice President Joe Biden, appointed to lead a task force to reduce U.S. gun violence, was scheduled to meet with

members of the National Rifle Association in Washington to discuss gun control.

(source: http://news.yahoo.com)

NOTE - I contributed nothing to this article, all rights go to yahoo.com. I solely copied this article to this forums board as an informative topic.

WTF is wrong with people??????????

These things do nothing but hurt families. Why can't people think with a clear head, grow a pair of balls, and be a man, instead of being a pussy and shoot unarmed people.

He used a shotgun. Clearly not hell bent on mass killing. Talk into surrender by teachers. Single target. All this smells of 1 kid fed up with being picked on and not being taught at home how to deal with school life challenges appropriately.

Truly sad the lack of parenting skills we see nowadays.

They just had to throw the gun ban issue in there for sensationalism, didn't they.

• Like 1

Everyone posting these shootings is becoming just like the media. Do you really think these issues just barely started happening this past year? I don't know why the media is infatuated with posting about every last person being shot/killed now. This stuff happens everyday. People get shot, killed, murdered all the time. Just recently did media start showing it though. And it really makes me mad. All they portray is the negative things that happen around guns. They never show anything about someone doing something GOOD with a gun (and I know there will be some of you out there "oh nothing good ever happens with a gun" thats a crock of shit).

Sucks for the family that lost the kid though. Would be devastated if it was my family.

• Like 1