New computer build :)

KiLLeRRR

my old computer was geting pretty old about 5 years even tho i only play et but i had some extra money so decided to build a new one just for et

Motherboard AsRock 970-Extreme4

CPU AMD AM3+ x8 FX-3850 4.0Ghz

HARD DRIVE Sandisk SSD Extreme 120gb

VGA 2gb DDR5 7850

RAM G.Skill ripjaws-x 8g DDR3

PSU Corsair vs650 650 power supply

CASE Coolermaster RX-371

later on i might add a 1TB hard drive or a another 7850 since the motherboard can 3x crossfire, and maybe upgrade cpu cooler

Total cost was $800 parts in australia are bit more expensive.

I'm amazed how much faster SSD is booting up and shuting down and loading maps on ET currently playing on 125fps.

Case comes with 1 fan but it can have 2-3 more added to it.

ill add pictures later when i get time to clean the cables neatly there all over the place lol.

I gotta say im happy with this build ive already got 100+ kills twice using flamer/smg and less panzer :P

Edited by KiLLeRRR

Enjoy your new build.

Would recommend new cpu cooler (gelid tranquillo v2 or Cooler Master Hyper TX3 are nice and cheap choices), although boxed cooler shouldn't give any problems ^^

For et alone 2x 7850 are pointless ^^

Just a question out of curiosity: why did you go for the Sandisk SSD?

ps. I never have map loading times in et (except the first map), even when et not on ssd. Just allocate more ram ^^

Edited by DrJoske

Enjoy your new build.

Would recommend new cpu cooler (gelid tranquillo v2 or Cooler Master Hyper TX3 are nice and cheap choices), although boxed cooler shouldn't give any problems ^^

For et alone 2x 7850 are pointless ^^

Just a question out of curiosity: why did you go for the Sandisk SSD?

ps. I never have map loading times in et (except the first map), even when et not on ssd. Just allocate more ram ^^

i was going to get kingston hyperx 120g but it was out of stock, i told the guy is there same alternative for the same price he told me there's sandisk so yeah i couldn't spend anymore money so i got that one

nothing special about pictures just stock cooler no lights on case :P all you will see is cables atm ill show the pictures when i clean it up just build it yesterday

Edited by KiLLeRRR

i was going to get kingston hyperx 120g but it was out of stock, i told the guy is there same alternative for the same price he told me there's sandisk so yeah i couldn't spend anymore money so i got that one

nothing special about pictures just stock cooler no lights on case :P all you will see is cables atm ill show the pictures of the parts boxes :)

Meh, not much difference in performance between SSDS these days anyway.

The only thing I avoid like hell is the sandforce controllers (had shitload of problems with them. They are fixed long time ago, but I don't want them anymore ^^)

I always go for the samsung 830 serie (best bang/buck here, like 80-90 euro for a 128gb one ^^)

and in high end system I probably will switch to the bit more expensive but benchmark fastest samsung 840 PRO once they become available Apparently they are already available:p.

Edited by DrJoske

anyone know why my cpu fan runs at max level as soon as it starts i mean the temperature isn't even that high it's around 35-45 Celsius, i have to manually put the level down by ASrock extreme tuning utility each time i start the computer

anyway some low quality pictures ( phone battery was almost dead so no quality :/)

20121227171148.jpg

20121227174025.jpg

i need a nice looking cpu cooler and some lighted case fans :)

Your case is ideal for a corsair h100 set for cooling with those openings on the top :) i use it and its nice silent . O and dont get me wrong nut your mem shoold be placed in equal colored ports not like this (normally ?)

Your case is ideal for a corsair h100 set for cooling with those openings on the top :) i use it and its nice silent . O and dont get me wrong nut your mem shoold be placed in equal colored ports not like this (normally ?)

Silent :o

Maybe they changed the fans, but those fans on the h100 used to be a disaster.

Anyway I would always change the fans to 4x scythe gentle typhoons 1850rpm in push/pull config on the H100 (pretty sure push/pull won't fit in this case ^^).

And nope, the mem doesn't always have to sit in the same colored ports. Most of the time the company makes it easy for you and make the ports the same color for dual channel, but that's not always the case. One of the two reason you have to check the manual ^^

EDIT: what I just did and in this case you are right ^^. Killer you have to put the second memory module to the blue slot. This is important for dual channel.

ps.Killer, go in your bios and check if cool 'n quiet is enabled, that should auto adjust the speed of the cpu fan :)

Edited by DrJoske

yeah it's enabled what's temp should the cpu be while gaming and in the bios it says single channel i guess i have to move it to the blue slot then

edit put it in the blue slot now it says dual channel.

Edited by KiLLeRRR

• 2 weeks later...

@Detoren: Nice find on the memory.

@DrJoske: I've been pretty happy with the stock fans on my H100 so far. They are only noticable on high, but I generally leave them set to medium since I've never seen temps high enough for faster speed.

@Killerrr: Nice rig man. Looks like a good build using quality parts. I would follow Joske's suggestion on getting a better heatsink, especially if you live someplace that gets really hot (I've heard Perth gets quite warm in summer). The Coolers DrJoske mentioned are a good value. I might add the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+. They are all fairly similar designs, so go for what you can find the cheapest and doublecheck the distance from your motherboard to the side of your case..those heatsinks are tall, but your case should handle it beautifully. You ideally wouldn't want CPU temps to be higher than 45-55c while gaming. Of course lower is better.

Also IMO be thankful you didn't get the Kingston HyperX. I just bought one a few weeks ago. After putting it on my test bench to make sure the drive was good out of the box, I removed the Sata cable to find the plastic support stuck inside the end of the cable. Google found I wasn't the only person to have that issue. Been pretty happy with the Samsung 840 Pro I bought even though it's slightly slower than my old Corsair Force 3.

Also since it sounds like this is the first SSD you've owned, it might serve you well to read this article at AnandTech on keeping 7-10% of the space on your SSD free. There is probably an option for it on the SSD Toolkit that Sandisk provides. I won't get into the details the article covers, but it will help extend the life of your drive.

Good job and good build.

@Detoren: Nice find on the memory.

@DrJoske: I've been pretty happy with the stock fans on my H100 so far. They are only noticable on high, but I generally leave them set to medium since I've never seen temps high enough for faster speed.

@Killerrr: Nice rig man. Looks like a good build using quality parts. I would follow Joske's suggestion on getting a better heatsink, especially if you live someplace that gets really hot (I've heard Perth gets quite warm in summer). The Coolers DrJoske mentioned are a good value. I might add the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+. They are all fairly similar designs, so go for what you can find the cheapest and doublecheck the distance from your motherboard to the side of your case..those heatsinks are tall, but your case should handle it beautifully. You ideally wouldn't want CPU temps to be higher than 45-55c while gaming. Of course lower is better.

Also IMO be thankful you didn't get the Kingston HyperX. I just bought one a few weeks ago. After putting it on my test bench to make sure the drive was good out of the box, I removed the Sata cable to find the plastic support stuck inside the end of the cable. Google found I wasn't the only person to have that issue. Been pretty happy with the Samsung 840 Pro I bought even though it's slightly slower than my old Corsair Force 3.

Also since it sounds like this is the first SSD you've owned, it might serve you well to read this article at AnandTech on keeping 7-10% of the space on your SSD free. There is probably an option for it on the SSD Toolkit that Sandisk provides. I won't get into the details the article covers, but it will help extend the life of your drive.

Good job and good build.

Temps above 55 degrees when gaming are fine, not that you would reach that temp with those coolers anyway (when fans working on mid-high speed)...

I would start to be worried when they go over 65 when gaming or over 80 when benching (full load)

The h100 fans I got were are disaster, good to hear they improved them. Still I recommend the gentle typhoons 1850rpm for any cooling set involving a radiator ^^. It just are AWESOME rad fans, I will be soon switching to custom loop liquid cooling and my rads will be suited with those fans ^^.

Running corsair H80 atm with 2x gentle typhoons at 600 rpm :

-temp idle: around 20 degree, kind of hard to go under room temp ^^

-temp gaming: 40-45 degree

Ps. All temps are in Celcius ^^

The benchmarks I've seen indicated that the samsung 840 pro are the fastest SSDS on the market (not including pci express ones :P) , so I'm surprised to see you saying the corsair force 3 being faster ... Considering that SSD is like what? A year old, if not older ^^

Edited by DrJoske

• 3 weeks later...

just bought the 212 evo gotta say i was suprised how big it was compared to the stock cooler

but for some reason whatever cooler you put my cpu fan runs at max speed unless i run Asrock extreme utility to control the speeds each time windows loads.

even at start up 29-30 celcius it runs at full

anyway the program automatically starts and puts the fan speeds down.

will put pictures of some more new hardware soon

razer deathadder mouse

backlit blue keyboard

24 inch asus hdmi led monitor

artic 5 sliver compond :)

Edited by KiLLeRRR