Welding

Wolf081

Hey all, im new to welding ... for now im usind an old arc stick 220 and im starting to get better ... my gf want me to build little table and small think like that so i plan to buy a lincoln migpak 140 (120v)

Some here weld ?

Well with a 120volt welder your gonna be working with primarly light gauge material I hope, anything over 3/16 the weld won't hold. I run 440 out at the barn, so I can run my Miller XMT, its a multi process welder, mig tig and arc and I use arc 95 % of the time.

Stay with your stick welder 220. learn the different types of welding rods for different applications, 6011 good penetration rod and all purpose, 7013 good penetration rod with a nice finish.

make sure your doing a Figure 8 when you weld.

• Like 1

FIsh thank you and yep if i buy the 120 its to use anywhere for hobby ... im still welding to get better and damn i like it hehehe

i already builg a log holder to use in house and 2 friends ask me to build one each...

next project is my first welding table and idont have a lot fo space so i will build one on wheel and around 24@36 or 48 inches

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found on internet a lincoln migpak 140 on 120v for 300$ dollars. Im trying it since a week and it works great

I ordered metal to build my first welder table ... i draw it with sketcup to have a good idea of the result

i will build it after christmas ... metal cost around with taxes 150$ 24*60 table 36 inches high and 1/4 thick

• 2 weeks later...

Try and buy your metals from a scrapyard whenever you can, saves a fortune. I use a mig welder for light stuff but fireweld most of the things i make. Needless to say I've got back into forging/foundry matters. Ive been making alu moulds for the guys I fish with, Knives and have a few 'special' ones to do, the most interesting...being a damascus replica of the knife used in LOTR, a morgul blade but scarily functional and a viking repro sword made using the same techniques as the vikings, this involves a stack forge, piles of ore and copious amounts of charcoal with lots of swearing inbetween.

Im not sure if its of interest but i just made another portable refractory furnace fired with anthracite, great results.

I assume you know the basics of welding ? But I still tell you :-

1) Use A.C welding transformer to weld electric arc.

2) WEAR SAFETY GEAR

3) Clamp the earthing clamp to work piece/ worktable

4) mount the electrode to the electrode holder

5) start the transformer carefully

6) wait for 2 minutes for warm up.

7) now start sliding the electrode across workpiece/worktable to produce sparks

8) NEVER make full contact with workpiece/worktable to electrode. ALWAYS maintain a gap of 3 MM.

9) 'tag' weld both the workpieces before full welding.

As for your materials,

1) look in scrap yard. For your required raw materials.

2) your materials maybe of mild steel. dont spend much.

3) Get ready made beams if possible.

4) Easiest table to make is square or rectangular table.

@dream, Wow... I never imagined that you were such a ..... Anyways I know that I did not do that. I gave him advice solely upon my experience and thats it. Let anybody do any dirty thinking.