Need: Cheap laptop for student daughter

soulJAHmon

Talk-to-your-computer_1.jpg ... or just avoid those pesky keyboards and that typing stuff all together ... this is the 21st century afterall ;)

yeah, because I want to be talking in class :P

and I have yet to find a speech recognition program that's accurate enough in multiple languages.

LOL, I love you guys who are more tech saavy. I ask a question, and a day later my thread is 3 pages. Ok,lets sum it up so far.

@ slender - we live in Washington State, need to be a junior to start it here also.

@ Krayzie - send me pics n info, all ideas are on the table.

@ Joske - wow, I'm glad putting memory in sounds easy enough, even for me! I wonder about the cost and how hard to choose the right memory to add?

@ everyone - thx again, so I did consider tablet, but they tend to be newer = more expensive, plus the keyboard thing. But I guess if she had a cheap wireless keyboard that might work. She definitely will need a full keyboard for composing papers etc. I have to stick to ideas under the $250 mark (total) , no matter what.

SO, I'm liking either

1) the refurb (I started with, Newegg), 2) the toshiba at Best buy (LA suggestion), or 3) Krazie's unit, if it's comparable.

Edited by soulJAHmon

SO, I'm liking either

1) the refurb (I started with, Newegg), 2) the toshiba at Best buy (LA suggestion), or 3) Krazie's unit, if it's comparable.

1) the refurb (I started with, Newegg) = Older refurb'd model, Smaller 14.1" Screen, Smaller 80 GB HardDrive, WIN XP, 2 GB Ram, heavier @ 6.3 lbs., 90 DAY Warranty = $250 :cry

(BTW, found it CHEAPER @ Amazon ... http://www.amazon.co...ds=t61 thinkpad )

$(KGrHqVHJCME8fY(zJS)BPK,6Mk8mg~~60_12.JPG

vs.

2) the toshiba at Best buy (LA suggestion) = NEW out of the Box, Larger 15.6" Screen, Larger 320 GB HardDrive, Win 8, 2 GB Ram, Lighter @ 5.5 lbs., 1 YEAR Warranty ! = $270 :thumbsup

6978411_S1E.png

IMO the Toshiba is worth the extra $20 !!! cheers :cheers

Also or note, I had (well still have but it's broken) an older Toshiba Satellite and Loved it, really great laptops ... the issue I had was the connection where the power cord plugs into the back of the laptop, the connector inside cracked the solder away from the PCB board so it shorts and won't power up unless I repair it, and just never did, but it was a great laptop for about 3-4 years. I also have had an Accer, and 2 Compaq's and thought they were garbage ... never had experience with an IBM / Lenovo though, so ?

That toshiba looks like a great deal to me (although I only have the specs LA has given)

Still I would upgrade (if possible) the ram from 2 to 4gb...

That upgrade is probably cheaper than upgrading the lenovo. lenovo being ddr2 sodimm => old and not as common available) and that one probably ddr3 sodimm : current standard and pretty cheap (although more expensive)

Although not really necessary upgrade, I still would recommend it.

LA can you give exact model of that toshiba, curious about the specs :P

Awesome, that is narrowing it down. I wanna be able to get something to give her for Christmas, so I think it'll either be the Toshiba, if I can swing the $270 + tax), or if not, then I'll get the used (very good, AZ Tech) T61 from Amazon for $185 and put in 2Gb ram.

Thx again, you guys rock. :thanks

Edited by soulJAHmon

Oh, and while I'm at it, should ask you guys about the E-readers. I wanna get my younger daughter a Kindle (or something similar) , but the budget for that is more like $50 -$75, cuz she wants some small non-electrical stuff to go with it.

The original Kindle is $60. But I've heard that Barnes n Noble and others have gizmos like it, which may be cheaper.

But, again, I have no experience with them at all, so I'm not sure what to look at other than price.

The Compaq is a couple years old, and it has minor wear to the outside but runs. It is running Windows Vista.

Specs: Product Number NB049UA#ABA Microprocessor 2.16 GHz Intel Celeron Processor 585 Microprocessor Cache 1MB Cache Memory 2048MB Memory Max 4096MB Video Graphics Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M Video Memory Up to 797MB Hard Drive 160GB (5400RPM) Multimedia Drive SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support Display 15.6" Diagonal High Definition HP BrightView Display (1366x768) Fax/Modem High speed 56k modem Network Card Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN Wireless Connectivity

• 802.11b/g WLAN

Sound Altec Lansing speakers Keyboard 101-key compatible Pointing Device Touch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical scroll Up/Down pad PC Card Slots External Ports

• 3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0
  • 1 Headphone out
  • 1 microphone-in
  • 1 VGA (15-pin)
  • 1 RJ-11 (modem)
  • 1 RJ -45 (LAN)

Dimensions 14.88" (L) x 9.9" (D) x 13.8" (min H) -1.72" (max H)

Only issue is it needs a new battery, and sometimes doesn't wanna find the harddrive, but is fixed when going into the bios and resetting factory defaults. I'm sure theres a fix to that but I wasn't gonna waste time on it.

Also have a Toshiba Satellite.L655-S5096, its a little better, running Windows 7, and an upgrade Seagate Baracudda 7200RPM 560GB HD. Type: General Purpose, Ultraportable, Value Processor Name: Intel Pentium Dual-Core P6100 Processor Speed: 2 GHz Operating System: Windows 7, Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium RAM: 3.01 GB Weight: 5.37 lb Screen Size: 15.6 inches Screen Size Type: Widescreen Native Resolution: 1366 x 768 Graphics Card: Intel GMA HD

Goes for anyone looking for laptops. Make me a deal. And I can ship within the US.

Tablets are nice to. I have the Nexus 7 and its a beast, for 130 bucks, a little out of the range you where seeking though.

That toshiba looks like a great deal to me (although I only have the specs LA has given)

LA can you give exact model of that toshiba, curious about the specs :P

6978411_S1E.pngBEST BUY LINK, or the TOSHIBA LINK

Looks like it's Model # ( C855D-S5303 ) and MSRP= $349.99 so yeah BestBuy has a good Deal on it @ $270.

6978411_S1E.pngBEST BUY LINK, or the TOSHIBA LINK

Looks like it's Model # ( C855D-S5303 ) and MSRP= $349.99 so yeah BestBuy has a good Deal on it @ $270.

Well, that cpu isn't the fastest.

I'm pretty sure even the refurbished on out perform it in pure power.

But the integrated graphics is better than the one in the refurbished one.

So the question would be: does she need that extra processor power?

I would go with probably not. Youtube in 720p will work just fine.

Office (meaning word en light tasks in excel, no crazy stuff :P) would probably work on my toaster and mailing also don't demands huge amount of power :P

Would I get it for myself, hell no. I would throw it out of the windows after 15min use ...

But I'm kind of a power user: I have on average 5+ programs running and I demand of my pc it can follow me without hesitation. Any delay and I get annoyed.

Would I consider it for everybody else who don't need huge amount of power: yes

That being said.

I looked it up and in that toshiba you have still a memory slot left (1 already filled with 2gb stick).

You would have to look for ddr3 sodimm ram running at 1066mhz. That will set you back another 10 dollar -15 dollar (excluding shipping, if not free) depending where you get that extra stick.

example: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145228

Ideal though you buy a set of 2 identical sticks: same brand, same batch. Just to get the dual channel working optimal (this won't affect performance all that much, just side remark => exact the same as a desktop btw ^^)

Now, I'm talking about that laptop: if you buy it and she can't get used to the fullscreen menu (which I don't expect) you can try: start8 (3-5dollar) or classic shell (free, but more confusing to setup)

About e-readers: can't help with that, I still prefer a real book :P

I know kindle depends on the amazon file standard and other e-readers support epub/pdf

And that you have screens based on e-ink and screens based on lcd screen (e-ink the more enjoyable to read)

=> this information can be changed already so correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry, about long post ^^

Oh, and while I'm at it, should ask you guys about the E-readers. I wanna get my younger daughter a Kindle (or something similar) , but the budget for that is more like $50 -$75, cuz she wants some small non-electrical stuff to go with it.

The original Kindle is $60. But I've heard that Barnes n Noble and others have gizmos like it, which may be cheaper.

But, again, I have no experience with them at all, so I'm not sure what to look at other than price.

Get the Kindle E-reader, it's really the best there is. The only competition (in the Netherlands at least) is the Sony, and I guess many only buy the Sony since you can't buy the Kindle in a physical store. The epub/pdf discussion is a bit harder, pdf is quite annoying for every pdf reader (although slightly better on the Sony), and epub is default not for the kindle available but with Calibre that isn't a problem. But the Kindle is way more user friendly imho, I *love* the next/prev buttons on the side, rather than sweep your finger over the display or annoyingly placed buttons, which causes you to move your hand or use your other hand.

• Like 1

A couple new contenders came up for sale on NewEgg this morning SOUL ...

Lat_D630.jpg

NEWEGG - DELL Latitude D630 Notebook = $214.99 , Refurbished Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00GHz 2GB Memory 60GB HDD CDRW/DVD

and

872542.jpg

NEWEGG - lenovo G570 (4334EGU) Notebook = $ 299.99 , NEW Intel Pentium dual-core B950 (2.10GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1333 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW Intel HD Graphics

Ahhh, it's a fluid situation to be sure, with all the inventory changes and sales, etc.

Man, shopping for this stuff is like a part-time job! It'll be a relief when I finally make a decision and get er dun.

Well, that dell is pretty much the same laptop as the lenovo, hbut comes with windows 7

btw upgrade for ddr2 667mhz sodimm (what you need in both refurbished laptops): around 21-25 dollar (excluding shipping):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145172

That other lenovo seems to be already sold out :P , but would also be a good deal (bit more expensive, but with 4gig ram and more powerfull cpu than the toshiba which has a pretty slow cpu). Like I said the toshiba got a more powerfull build in gpu, but the use of the gpu is limited (watching youtube videos could be one :P).

Well, the use of cpu in this case too, so both would be fine XD