Need: Cheap laptop for student daughter

soulJAHmon

That D630 is awesome. I have the smaller version, D430, and after 4.5 years (!!!!) I decided that it was becoming too slow for me (needed to run multiple VM's, run CUDA, etc). Note that it had a worse HDD, only 2GB memory and a lot slower CPU, yet still ran Win7 smoothly, was rock solid and still no damage (and I abuse laptops, FYI). I have some experience with the D830 as well, the owner said that it was too large, but actually still quite nice. The build quality of the/those Dell Latitudes is truly amazing.

Edited by rolf

That D630 is awesome. I have the smaller version, D430, and after 4.5 years (!!!!) I decided that it was becoming too slow for me (needed to run multiple VM's, run CUDA, etc). Note that it had a worse HDD, only 2GB memory and a lot slower CPU, yet still ran Win7 smoothly, was rock solid and still no damage (and I abuse laptops, FYI). I have some experience with the D830 as well, the owner said that it was too large, but actually still quite nice. The build quality of the/those Dell Latitudes is truly amazing.

personally, don't have much experience with Dell (except some problems with aftersales => nothin serious, did blacklist them a while, but now using their screens again XD).

But I did only hear good things about the latitude serie (same with the thinkpad series though)

So I would suggest: go for the dell and upgrade the ram.

Should be a good buy

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we finally pulled the trigger tonight. I worked my butt off on a side job to secure the funds.

I got daughter A, the Kindle Fire HD, from radio shack for $199 plus tax, and

I got daughter B, an ASUS X401-A, new-in-box, notebook ( ON SALE !! ) with 4GB, 320, etc. win 8, at Best Buy, for $236.99.

https://deals.bestbuy.com/computers+amp+tablets2/product/6999323/asus++14quot+laptop++4gb+memory++320gb+hard+drive++black

Thanks again for all your input guys. :rolleyes:

Now, we just need to figure out how to use them, lol !!!

Edited by soulJAHmon

That's a dam good price for a laptop :P

One quick note fyi: if she can't get used to the fullscreen menu in windows 8 => start8 ($5) brings the startbutton back.

This is just extra information, because I don't expect it will be a problem ^^.