Connection issues.

I have had problems with my ISP but before I go and start blaming them I want to find out if my problem is on their hands or mine and I have a problem connecting to my internet which is an intermittent issue.

When I close my laptop and it "shuts down" and then I open it up to log into my laptop and it takes me to my desktop I am not connected to the internet. I then have to right click on the network icon in the task bar and hit "diagnose connection problems". It then finds and corrects the network issue and I am connected.

I have an AT&T U-Verse router and I connect with a cord straight to my router. I want to find out why it keeps making me fix a problem in order to connect and not just stay connected. Wifi is off,

Is this a problem with ISP connection to the router or is it something I can change on my own?

I guess either DNS or IP conflict issues?

How many devices connected to same router?

I was thinking the same same but the ISP has switched my router like 5 different times in the last month and each time I had to reconnect. Also only 1 other connects to it which is connected wireless.

Windows 7?

Yes