Looking for a new Video Card

deathfromabo

I currently have a NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS but am looking for a better one. I've had my eye on a BFG GeForce GTS 250 OC 1GB GDDR3 PCI-E Video Card and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what might be more worth while, if there is a different video card i should be looking at. :hmm This video ard will not replace my NVIDIA but will be operating with it.

:thanks

Edited by deathfromabo

Do you run two monitors? If not, to use your card, you would need another 9500gs and SLI them.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CAcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tomshardware.com%2Freviews%2Fgeforce-gts-250%2C2172-3.html&ei=wd_1Spi8BYXcnAel6ezsBQ&usg=AFQjCNEMZE-pidDbWSxA5cLzryDwcEkPmQ&sig2=TNmCJjY79gdmTGLJ8108JQ

That will kind of show you the difference in cards. I'd recommend a 260 especially if you are a COD4 soldat ;) Specifically from EVGA or XFX because they have lifetime warranties.

I have a 285gtx and get about 100-120 with maxed graphics (Gold guns bling with dynamic lighting :P)at 1920x1200. I wouldn't mind though having double that ;) Just my 2 pennies.

• Administrators

9500 is really a weak ass video card, its used by oem manufacturer's like hp and dell and is not sold retail as far as i know. you might be able to find it on ebay or some other site.

9500 is really a weak ass video card, its used by oem manufacturer's like hp and dell and is not sold retail as far as i know. you might be able to find it on ebay or some other site.

Pffff i have 9500 GT it's not bad at all!

These are my system specs (not very good i know)

Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz

Memory: 6142MB RAM

Hard Drive: 735 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS

Monitor: HP w2207 Wide LCD Monitor

Sound Card: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

What would be a good one to go with this, the one i want or something better than that?

These are my system specs (not very good i know)

Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz

Memory: 6142MB RAM

Hard Drive: 735 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS

Monitor: HP w2207 Wide LCD Monitor

Sound Card: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

What would be a good one to go with this, the one i want or something better than that?

What? A quad core with 6GB of ram? That's bad ass imo. It definitely pwns Rainiers Windows ME 2.4 Pentium 4 rig.

I myself am looking for a set of ATI crossfire cards... so many choices. Anyone running a good crossfire setup?

A 250 is a pretty good card. A 260 is considerably better. A 5850 ati card is a beast as well as a 285gtx ~$300. 5870's are the top single core cards at the moment ~$400.

It just depends how much you want to spend and how much performance you want.

I have a EVGA GTX 275, lookin for a second one once i get my rig put together. Just need a psu and a case, then im good to go. I got the 275 for pretty cheap, it was like $250. Its nice cuz it has a built in fan, so it stay's chilled. I'm sure you don't want to spend alot of cash, I would bet you could pick up another 9500 for fairly cheap. SLI is the way to go, imo

i am but i got my cards for free as a bday gift from a friend thats a rep for ATi i am currently running 2 5870 in crossfire

Nice... I would have to sell my car to get a those two cards lols. I need some ATI friends. Hell im happy when I get a free coffee at 7-11! Im sure that was a good birthday for you!

Well i found the 5870 and have set up a compare chart, still don't know which is better though, can you guys weigh in?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/compare/compare.asp?comPage=prodlist&cat=&comparecat=25617&page=1&sort=0&sku_id=0665000FS10121889&atab=3&catid=25617&logon=&langid=EN

:thanks:thanks

P.S Money is not a problem

Edited by deathfromabo

Well i found the 5870 and have set up a compare chart, still don't know which is better though, can you guys weigh in?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/compare/compare.asp?comPage=prodlist&cat=&comparecat=25617&page=1&sort=0&sku_id=0665000FS10121889&atab=3&catid=25617&logon=&langid=EN

:thanks:thanks

P.S Money is not a problem

If money is not an issue, go with a 5850, 275gtx, 285gtx, 5870, or 295gtx. Performance has a direct correlation with the money you spend. But the more you spend, the longer your vid card will last without having to upgrade again, plus you get more fps which has a correlation with owning noobs ;)

These are what I would consider the biggest and baddest cards. If I had to buy a card right now I'd get a 5870. Nvidea is releasing their new 300 series after Christmas so it's going to be awhile, but the top card will definitely be faster, and more expensive than the 5870.

What kind of power supply do you have? You will probably want something around 700watts for the bigger cards. It really deals with amps on the power supply's lines though. I'll always recommend corsair for psu's. They treat their customers right and produce top notch gear.

The 5870 is the most powerful single gpu card at the moment. If you wanted to go nuts you could get 2 or 3 and crossfire them. But you are coming from a 9500gt, and one of these things should be at least 5 times as powerful as what you have. I went from a 7800gt which is probably similar to a 9600gt to a 285 and it

rocks my socks on a 1920x1200 resolution. A 5870 would be even better....

Are you canadian? This is a good supplier of parts for our Northerners.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=44138&vpn=HD-587A-ZNF9&manufacture=XFX

Regardless, you want a card with a lifetime warranty. EVGA and XFX come to mind first.

EDIT: Spelling on my phone at work is hard :P

I have my fps set to 200 and that's what i get always :) I know i better for how much i spent to build my computer. The parts were approximately 1,400.00

Case Antec 900

Mobo Msi 790fx-gd70

CPU AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Ram 2x 2 gb Mushkin DDR3 1600

Video 2 x Sapphire Ati Radeon 5870(crossfire mode)

Psu Corsair TX650 650W power supply

HDD 2 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Display Acer X213Hbid Black 21.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 20000:1 (ACM)