Training maps

Saizou

I noticed that few people mentioned maps where you can practice by yourself (aiming and such), which aren't supposed to be played online. I searched the forums and couldn't find any topic about them.

So if anyone knows (or uses) such a map, I'd appreciate if you could post a link, name or at least a tip where you can find one. Also, a feedback if such maps really do help with improving, would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

I noticed that few people mentioned maps where you can practice by yourself (aiming and such), which aren't supposed to be played online. I searched the forums and couldn't find any topic about them.

So if anyone knows (or uses) such a map, I'd appreciate if you could post a link, name or at least a tip where you can find one. Also, a feedback if such maps really do help with improving, would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Only map i know which should be called "training map"is Valhalla lmao. :lol:

I meant on practicing aim in the first place, but looks like I got it all wrong about those maps, I thought they were something else. I checked out Valhalla, doesn't seem like what I was looking for, but thanks anyway.

Still if anyone makes or finds such map, do tell.

• 4 weeks later...

this is exactly what you're looking for. there might be better versions of this out there somewhere but it's just target practice:

taget.pk3 download link

i had to set unpure server in order for this map to load properly, but it might be some buggy custom mod in my folder doing that.

as far as feedback this is good for trying out settings and getting a feel for what head-height is.. but personally to warm up i usually go to some server with a bunch of bots. IMO fighting bots will help more than a map like this, unless you really have difficulty killing the bots, maybe a map like this could be a first step.

killing bots doesn't do much to prepare you for real players ( that strafe ) but it will help you dial in your aim and to strafe yourself - bots are real headshot queens so if you stand still in front of one for about 3 sec you will most certainly respawn within the next 15 seconds.. it's that sort of "kill or be killed" that gives you the impetus to improve that's missing from a map like this, but could also be too frustrating for the unskilled to get past, and so a map like this would work for them -- up to a point.

anyway am sure this map is what the thread asks for. it's not 1 v 1, it's target dummies.

Edited by Connection

CTF_Multi is the best training map imo. Track the machine guns, do long range 1v1's.

Or use valhalla or a purefrag map and have 2 omnibots set at 8 or 9.

That Target map was something I looked for, targeting practice with dummies where you can see if you hit or not. I'll also try to find that CTF_Multi map that you mentioned.

Bots would be nice too (nothing like real players, and I'm pretty sure I can handle bots), but unfortunately I don't know how to set them up. I'll look it up.

I agree a real person to train with would be the best option though.

Thanks for help guys, I'm sure it'll help me improve.

Is that the map where you shoot the green glass looking targets? There is one of those that was made for aiming practice.

the one i posted ^ is wooden dummies, not glass targets. only one i could find right off the bat.. seems like i remember a couple other maps like that tho, one with bullseyes on a regular rifle range? if anyone has links or files post here; it would be good to have them all collected in one place.

good luck sai -- hope this helps you some. try some noob servers full of bots next, stay AWAY from jaymod/NQ it will ruin whatever aim you build up. you might play medic to stay alive longer but it turns into a crutch and then maybe you can't kill anyone without the extra 56 hp and the self-healing crap, so i suggest stay away from that class if you want to improve yourself.

here's another good tip for training:

afind someone who is just marginally better than you - like in a 1v1 you usually die but bring the other person down to about 30 hp. keep fighting that person until you can kill them 75% of the time, then look for someone a lil better. you don't really improve much fighting people you kill easily, and if you fight someone who is way better than you you die too quickly to gain anything from it.. so look for players a little better than you and keep at it until you can beat them, then move up a step. easier said than done lol but you get the picture.

lol yeah vahalla and dual site etc are simply pure frag maps. wont help you at all unless you got a willing taining partner

Omnibots ftw :D And on 8 or 9 they have mad aim.

here's another good tip for training:afind someone who is just marginally better than you - like in a 1v1 you usually die but bring the other person down to about 30 hp. keep fighting that person until you can kill them 75% of the time, then look for someone a lil better. you don't really improve much fighting people you kill easily, and if you fight someone who is way better than you you die too quickly to gain anything from it.. so look for players a little better than you and keep at it until you can beat them, then move up a step. easier said than done lol but you get the picture.

IMO 1v1 is a waste of time. Very rarely in a real situation will it be only you vs only them, full ammo and health. I'd suggest 3v3 or 2v1. It builds teamwork for both sides, and when your the minority it teaches you how to use opponents as shields. Also avoid nade spamming and try to focus on only killing with smg or pistol. Or mg and pf if needed.

good luck sai -- hope this helps you some. try some noob servers full of bots next, stay AWAY from jaymod/NQ it will ruin whatever aim you build up. you might play medic to stay alive longer but it turns into a crutch and then maybe you can't kill anyone without the extra 56 hp and the self-healing crap, so i suggest stay away from that class if you want to improve yourself.

Now that you mention it 90% of the time I'm playing medic on jay1, doing exactly what you said I shouldn't. Maybe it's time to play etpub/etpro more... :blink:

Bots may be sometimes dumb (standing in doorway and knifing them while they just keep coming and getting killed), but when they get your aim on you, you're pretty much done for.