What do you think?

I am planning on either building my own pc this summer or just buying a new pc this summer. I have an $800 cap and I am in need of something I can use for at least 5 more years without needing to major an update. I was looking at something along the lines of this -> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=602037&CatId=114

Also, if you don't want to buy the parts on your own. You can get a bare bone PC thru tigerdirect. They'll send all the parts and all you have to do is put it together. I'm pretty sure they are cheaper.

I was looking at tiger directs barebones and building from scratch on new egg.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2311918&Sku=B69-1403

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1824466&Sku=B69-0509

Leaning towards these barebones from tigerdirect. I am looking more towards AMD products as to Intel because of the large price difference

You may be pushing it for 5 years on any PC, but your chances of making that with a pre-built system will be low. I would recommend buying parts. You get a longer warranty (if you buy good parts), usually 3 yrs, and even lifetime on memory. You can do it for $800 too. Maybe not with the latest i7, but you can get a decent i5, good board, etc. Stick with ASUS or Intel on your motherboard (I only buy Intel and never have a problem) Plus with buying parts you usually have better upgrade options when it comes time to speed it up. There is a reason for the price difference between AMD and Intel. You get what you pay for. AMD started with the power rating back in the Pentium days, they were behind Intel in actual MHz. Then AMD was the 1st to hit 1 GHz, and announced they were dropping the Power Rating because it was too misleading to consumers and just was not a very good idea. Then they fell way behind Intel (I believe Intel hit 3 GHz before AMD got to 2 GHz) and picked up the power ratings again. This tells me something about AMD as a company; they are not afraid to mislead you if it is to their advantage. They cannot keep their CPUs cool and that is why they could not keep up with Intel. I will step down from my soapbox, sorry for the long post.

I am editing this since I never looked at your barebones links. Those are package deals, not barebones, but the first one with the i7 is not a bad deal. I can price out something at NewEgg for you at about the same price, but better quality. Just PM me if you are interested.

Edited by beedub

not to rag on AMD much, but when I purchased my laptop in 2008, I got it with an AMD turion 64 chip. Been kicking myself ever since. When I built my new computer I went with an Intel quad-core, no HT, over a similar priced hexa-core AMD chip. No regrets at all. Check benchmarks, no amd chip can touch even the 2500K after a small overclock.

AMD has their place, for those who absolutely can't afford anything else, but the 2500K is only 220 bucks or so.

My $.02

not to rag on AMD much, but when I purchased my laptop in 2008, I got it with an AMD turion 64 chip. Been kicking myself ever since. When I built my new computer I went with an Intel quad-core, no HT, over a similar priced hexa-core AMD chip. No regrets at all. Check benchmarks, no amd chip can touch even the 2500K after a small overclock.

AMD has their place, for those who absolutely can't afford anything else, but the 2500K is only 220 bucks or so.

My $.02

for the money, you get more speed with AMD. All my computers have been AMD builds and I don't regret any of them.

I prefer intel, but I have a lot of friends who like AMD. Here ya go Eggo.

www.cpubenchmark.net

All the numbers for u to make up ur mind....good luck!

Not saying Intel is bad, pick whichever you want. But look through the list, the majority of AMD will give the same speed, with a lower cost. You'll save anywhere from 5% - 50% on it.