My super-computer

parrot

Just stumbled across this thread...lol

IMG_20120113_174621.jpg

Empty case, new monitor behind it, old keyboard still on the tray.

IMG_20120113_220704.jpg

Supercomputer next to my old dell (now my daughters)

IMG_20120113_220723.jpg

new monitor is 27 inches, old crt was 14.

IMG_20120114_102603.jpg

close up of ram/gpu

IMG_20120309_173257.jpg

fully built and running.

IMG_20120329_183004.jpg

after adding a coupla cold cathodes...

Complete specs:

Corsair 800D case

Corsair HX650 power supply

Asus Deluxe P8Z68 motherboard

i5-2500k overclocked to 4.8GHz

Corsair H100 water cooler

16 GB Corsair Vengeance at 1600MHz

120 GB Kingston HyperX SSD

3 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm storage drive

HIS IceQ 6950

Lite-On bluray burner

Viewsonic 27 inch monitor

Logitech G110 backlit keyboard

Logitech G500 mouse

Logitech S-220 2.1 speakers

Plantronics Gamecon 377 headset

also have 3 externals behind the computer, totaling 2.5TB of additional storage

awesome build...

Considering to get rid of my amd build (there is a thread somewhere, not very updated pics though) and building me a super power rig...

I'm waiting at the moment to see what the 'ivybridge' serie will do, but otherwise my choice would be the i5 2500k...

I also overclocked that one a couple of times for friends of me, is that 4.8gHz stable under torture test? I always only got to 4.5-4.6 gHz stable, well you need bit luck with your processor...

homebuilt. Extremely satisfying, first time building one.

HIS 6950 video card. Runs BF3 on ultra, avg 30fps. On high it's smooth as butter no matter what.

The overclock has been stable so far, temps max at around 68-74 under torture. I had it up to 5.0, but it was pushing 90 and I got scared. Funny sidenote, I got greedy and tried to flash the 6950 to 6970 firmware. Figured, all hell, why not, i have dual bios! what could possibly go wrong? Flashed, and after reboot....blank screen. no post. Went hunting for bios switch. Discovered my HIS 6950 was not reference design. No switch. Screamed in anger at mt stupidity. RMA'd bricked card. learned powerful lesson. pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered.

Overclocked just because I bought a real nice cooler for the cpu, and it seemed a waste not to :D

Going from that old celeron machine to this was pretty damn close to heaven, I must admit.

As for ivy bridge....personally I just don't think the price is worth it. My chip was 230 bucks, more or less. The cheapest ivy bridge is like 600. I don't think it offers 3 times the performance...

I am retarded...

And after 6 years of waiting, no, whoever wants my computer will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands :D