Computer not working

Quovadis

So I bought some new ram on ebay ( corsair 4gb @1333mhz) and as everytime , installed it myself. There was already 4x 1GB in my sockets so I carefully remove one a placer the new one in the socket. Since then I cant get my computer to open anymore , as soon as it starts up I get 2 beep every 5sec . My computer is a dell inspiron 560 so should run pheonix bios ( if im not wrong) so on internet but pheonix beep codes are 4 group of 1-4 beep so.. This is almost for sure a ram failure but I tried every combinations and also individually each one of themI try another video card when I get home but idk what to do . Help please :( sorry for bad english quality , im writing on my iphone which screen is totally colapsed

Windows Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (64-bit) Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421

Memory (RAM) 4095 MB

CPU Info Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz

CPU Speed 2492,6 MHz

Sound Card Haut-parleurs (Line 6 UX1) |

Display Adapters NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti | RDPDD Chained DD | RDP Encoder Mirror Driver | RDP Reflector Display Driver

Monitors 1x; Moniteur Plug-and-Play générique |

Screen Resolution 1920 X 1080 - 32 bit

Network Network Present

Network Adapters Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller | Hamachi Network Interface

CD / DVD Drives 3x (D: | I: | K: | ) D: TSSTcorpDVD+-RW TS-H653G | I: TINAPUP P2NW1EV0H | K: MagicISOVirtual DVD-ROM

Ports COM Ports NOT Present. LPT Port NOT Present.

Mouse 8 Button Wheel Mouse Present

Hard Disks C: 451,1GB

Hard Disks - Free C: 47,5GB

USB Controllers 7 host controllers.

Firewire (1394) Not Detected

Manufacturer * Dell Inc.

Product Make * Inspiron 560

AC Power Status OnLine

BIOS Info AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 08/16/32 | DELL - 20100226 Time Zone Est Battery Status No Battery Motherboard * Dell Inc. 0K83V0 IP Address 192.168.1.200 | 5.68.19.152 | MAC Address 7A-79-05-44-13-98 Host Name OLIVIER-PC SM BIOS A02

2 beeps = not properly seated in the slot, also don't mix ram of different timings, might wanna check if your Dell supports this ram.

Ram only or could be any part? Also I remeber pushing the memory sticks until they we're fully clipped so could the sockets be broken or something? I will try again when I get back home in like 45min.

Edit: I am pretty sure all my ram is at 1333mhz and ebay seller said dell was suported ( might be wrong tough) thanks for help

I tried changing videocard , tried every single ram sticks an inserted them as far as possible noyhing works :( the beeping song starts as soon as I press power no booting at all.

Make sure the voltage is the same as your old ram. You may need to put an old stick in there to raise the voltage in the bios (if you even can with a dell bios). There are also ram timings that may need to be adjusted. They are four numbers that look like 7-7-8-12. Your ram should have the voltage and timings on a sticker on the ram or you can find it by model number on the internet.

Also when testing your ram, try each stick of ram in the first or number 1 ram slot.

Edited by TulsaGeoff

Start placing old ram as single slot only in slot one (look board is says 0 or 1) and test, then if works place old ones in same as they was.

Masa_1964

Edited by Masa_1964

Cant get it work even with one ram in 1st slot , I think the new ram wasnt well placed when I firat tryed it , could i have break something when turning pc on with not filly placed ram?

Remove all things you don't need. That is, get the GPU out (you have onboard, have fun with it), no external devices (powercable, video and perhaps keyboard) and disconnect all hard drives / optical drives (from power supply as well). Basicly, your power supply should only feed motherboard, cpu and make sure the CPU fan is rotating. You better have a crappy bootable pc than a high-end unbootable.

Install one old memory module in the slot closest to the CPU. Check if it boots. If not, try another old memory module. Repeat until it boots or out of memory modules. If it still doesn't boot, you might consider putting memory modules in the 1st (closest to cpu) and 3rd slot, although that shouldn't make a difference. You might consider resetting your bios (remove battery, disconnect external power, hotwire jumper 20 next to the battery slot), although your memory is used earlier than your bios is started up I thought.

Also, I've found the data sheet of your pc (all listed here: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insp560mt/en/index.htm), but obviously I can't find it for your new memory modules. Can you give the specs, or even better, serial number, it probably starts with something like CMS and is 10~15 characters long. Note that from the data sheet I read that only 1066MHz is supported, although that shouldn't screw up your entire system.

Remove all things you don't need. That is, get the GPU out (you have onboard, have fun with it), no external devices (powercable, video and perhaps keyboard) and disconnect all hard drives / optical drives (from power supply as well). Basicly, your power supply should only feed motherboard, cpu and make sure the CPU fan is rotating. You better have a crappy bootable pc than a high-end unbootable.

Install one old memory module in the slot closest to the CPU. Check if it boots. If not, try another old memory module. Repeat until it boots or out of memory modules. If it still doesn't boot, you might consider putting memory modules in the 1st (closest to cpu) and 3rd slot, although that shouldn't make a difference. You might consider resetting your bios (remove battery, disconnect external power, hotwire jumper 20 next to the battery slot), although your memory is used earlier than your bios is started up I thought.

Also, I've found the data sheet of your pc (all listed here: http://support.dell....mt/en/index.htm), but obviously I can't find it for your new memory modules. Can you give the specs, or even better, serial number, it probably starts with something like CMS and is 10~15 characters long. Note that from the data sheet I read that only 1066MHz is supported, although that shouldn't screw up your entire system.

nope , I guess system board is dead :(