new kind off ban

iSpooky

i was thinking would it be possible to ban people trough an hwid ban?

Now you probably think what is an hwid, HWID stands for Hardware Identification

ill explain what it is:

a security measure used by Microsoft upon the activation of the Windows operating system. As part of the Product Activation system, a unique HWID number is generated when the operating system is first installed. The HWID identifies the hardware components that the system is utilizing, and this number is communicated to Microsoft. Every 10 days and at every reboot the operating system will generate another HWID number and compare it to the original to make sure that the operating system is still running on the same device. If the two HWID numbers differ too much then the operating system will shut down until Microsoft reactivates the product.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/H/HWID.html

tell me what you think about it and tell me if its possible or not.

The game engine would have to capture this info already for us to be able to use it in any kind of way.. Im sure it would already have been done if it did :P

EDIT: I have been put in my place below :P Bwahah xD

• Administrators

It's all up to the mod developers I know this was discussed before and if I am not mistaken is actually part of one of the mods we run but I will let Dare share more light on it as he is more informed then I am. Since most mods are not open source per say implementing such thing would require a lot of spare time and money something that ET community is not willing to dish out, as you can see even an anticheat as TZAC has hard times staying alive since most of people are not willing to actually pay for something that they think is free and sponsorship is impossible to come by.

• Clan Friend

It would be like etpro guids...

It is certainly possible, but the problem is that the piece of software that calculates such id and sends it to the server would be in the client's pc. Who checks if they modify it?

It would be nice to write some 'fake' mod that stays between the engine and the real mod (passing all the calls to the cgame and to the engine) and adding extra features (enhmod does this I think) but the problem again is that you need to update it very often or they will disassemble it and byebye security

edit:

a more secure way would be to make it modular, like an empty box that can be filled by a module sent by the server, when admins use some command.

The module would then check something (or making some fake checks) and send an answer to the server, using the same network connection of the game, the same way client commands are sent. This way the client cannot refuse to answer and if it does then it means the player is a cheater. After the module is executed it is auto destroyed from ram, so it's hard to dump it and disassemle it later, and all must be heavily packed/encrypted so hackers would get tired of checking all these different modules and fake modules that check nothing in reality.

So if a cheater downloads the mod there is nothing to see inside it, he can disassemble it if he's got the brains, or ask a programmer to do it for him (usually cheaters have no brains themselves but they take advantage of lame programmers who write cheats) only if an admin suspects someone he can send him a module and check something, included hw identity.

That's how I would do it, but it's a lot of work