Dropbox

ajnl

Hey, i'm sure that someone has posted about dropbox already. But of those of you who do not have it, its a pretty cool cloud storage service that you can get to sync w/e you want across your computers and smart phones. It works with both apple and windows computers. Not sure about linux, but you can log on and upload/download files straight from the website too. It also has an app for the iphone and I believe android as well.

When you install it on your computer, you get a folder call dropbox which all the files are synced in to.

You get 2GB free and by inviting people you can get up to 8GB for free.

If you would like to check it out and get one, please use this link: http://db.tt/O3OBHp4

That way you and I can get some extra free space.

The main site is just: www.dropbox.com

It works on Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android, blackberry and Ipad/Iphone.

I use it a lot too, mainly for two reasons:

1. I use too many computers on which I want to use the same data :P (laptop, normal pc, linux pc for some courses)

2. You can create shared folders with other users, so working together is a lot easier. However, this is not really compatible with .doc files and other microsoft office applications, but with e.g. LaTeX it's easy. For code it isn't the best either, better use svn, git or whatever :P But if you're only working at from one pc at each time (i.e., not shared), of course it isn't a problem then :)

It's a good idea.. I had the same kinda thing set up on my own server.. Might re-do it since it was pretty handy being able to copy/paste files simply to a folder rather than using an FTP client..

I used it last year in college for projects and stuff when we were working in a group, great idea imo where we all can view it (we had to be invited to the one folder) and all I can say is +1 to what rolf said. It's handy but I don't find any problems with it, we move the files to a zip/winrar folder and it doesn't cause any problems that way.

Would definitely recommend it to people who use various computers and want the same files on all computers at the same time :)

It's handy but I don't find any problems with it, we move the files to a zip/winrar folder and it doesn't cause any problems that way.

That is a solution, but it is not the perfect solution. For starters, you now have to manually copy the data (instead of working from the Dropbox folder), secondly merging can still be quite hard. In those cases, svn and git are really a better solution. However, those require a specific server which may not be available (luckily, it is available for me :D)