New wolfet.exe using ET-GPL and ET-xreal

tdkxeon

hello ppl

so i compiled a new et.exe file and the cg dll's using new mod from ET-xreal team.

i played on f|a recruiting tonite with those newly compiled files for 4 maps strait and didnt have any problems

one problem i faced was that i could only see guns and head, no bodies during game play

other than that i didnt see any major issues

just a quick overview with the newly compiled files

1. quad core optimized

2. very good graphics (in order to utilize full graphics functionality, we will have to make new maps with the new etxradiant

3. even older maps looked good

4. multi gpu support (i saw my crossfire being utilized very nicely)

5. old et runs on open cl graphics, new on runs on open gl which is much more advanced

6. dynamic lightings were really good, felt like new version of et

7. i was able to play on existing jaymod servers (havent tried silent or nq) with new exe's

some cons

1. high memory utililization (1.4 gb of ram in my case on windows xp and windows 7)

2. map takes longer to load

3. i can see only heads and guns not bodies(trying to fix it)

4. not all maps are compatible (in 2 maps all i saw was squares and triangles)

but over all its a great step forward in et

i will upload the whole compilation probably tomorrow, who ever wants to try it

fyi, if u try it then pls make a back up of your existing et folder with etkey.

will post some more pics tomorrow and the installation file too !!!

cheers !

post-31-0-20860300-1320910002_thumb.jpg

post-31-0-67726600-1320910068_thumb.jpg

post-31-0-13907300-1320910112_thumb.jpg

post-31-0-66826700-1320910146_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Clan Friend

any comparative benchmarks? how much fps increase did you have? I haven't downloaded it yet and I think I won't for a while, unless it will become standard (I deleted the beta I had downloaded sometime ago) ;)

I think you are not supposed to play with xreal in normal servers, hence the problem with player models (you see only head and acc), plus if they enable pb they will kick you, otherwise anyone could compile his own et.exe with built-in wh and sh*t

About multiprocessor, have you checked cpu usage or not? Because with a recent beta (on Linux) I had only a few (just 8!) fps more, and cores weren't used 100%, and in another forum I saw that r_smp is not fully implemented yet, and you shouldn't use it, which partially confirms what I experienced in the version I compiled.

record a demo, then play it with /timedemo 1 in normal et and xreal, and check the difference in fps

p.s.

to open a small console hold ctrl or bind screenshot to a key, otherwise we just see a screen of your console...

• Administrators

Well from talking to Xeon the fps are steady and game play is smooth even with lots of arty/poison smoke. I started downloading it last night (file is 1.5gb) and its slowed down to a crawl (broken modem). I didn't ask him about the cpu usage but he did tell me that ET was utilizing 1.4 gb of ram. I will try and compile it tonight and do some benchmarks time permitting.

• Like 1

• Clan Friend

Well from talking to Xeon the fps are steady and game play is smooth even with lots of arty/poison smoke. I started downloading it last night (file is 1.5gb) and its slowed down to a crawl (broken modem). I didn't ask him about the cpu usage but he did tell me that ET was utilizing 1.4 gb of ram. I will try and compile it tonight and do some benchmarks time permitting.

Ofc I'm not saying he doesn't tell the truth, the version I tried is not really the latest, so maybe they improved multicore support, I was just saying that I noticed an improvement of just 8fps in a radar demo I had, I disabled all new effects of course, so I tried to achieve as much fps as possible.

And cpu wasn't fully in use even though with /timedemo 1 the game runs as fast as possible.

Joedirt - you are downloading the wrong file, that 1.4 gig file is for Quake wars

one for et is about 30 megs only !!!

Sunlight - most of the questions you asked, are already answered, just read carefully my first post

"And cpu wasn't fully in use even though with /timedemo 1 the game runs as fast as possible.", it doesnt mean if your cpu is running at 50 % the u will get 50 fps and if its running at 100% then u will get 100 fps. not emphasizing on number just trying to make a point.

whole thing is not for getting more fps, its for better graphics and better engine. u will still be able to tweak your settings to improve your fps.

cpu only runs physics, since the game doesnt have that much physics goin on, cpu will never be fully utilized, unless someone makes a mod that looks like crysis for et.

look at your gpu usage or load and the amount of memory the game is using - use gpuz

• Clan Friend

cpu only runs physics, since the game doesnt have that much physics goin on, cpu will never be fully utilized, unless someone makes a mod that looks like crysis for et.

look at your gpu usage or load and the amount of memory the game is using - use gpuz

I'm not sure that cpu runs physics only (especially with standard et), plus I forgot to say that my gpu was scratching its a$$ as well, and it's not even powerful.

I said /timedemo 1, with timedemo the game runs as fast as possible while showing a demo, acting as a benchmark. So I would expect more than a meagre 8fps increase, if I go from using only 1 core to using 2, given that my gfx card wasn't fully in use, and thus that wasn't the bottleneck, or if there is any optimization that leads to less cpu usage in general, or makes the gpu do things that previously were done by cpu.

I tried the latest xreal, and I had 8fps more in a test timedemo (after waaaaaiting for the map to load).

And also I got the message:

Trying SMP acceleration...

...failed.

which means that either I made some mistake (didn't compile it this time, I took the binary they made), or smp is not implemented yet. I bet it's like current et where I checked why it failed, and there was just something like xor eax, eax ret and it returns always false, and always fails.

Anyway, it's an et with better graphics, so who likes to have better graphics can go ahead, I'm not going to prevent ppl from using it :) I don't wanna bash your work :P

aah i c

i know what the problem is

your compilation failed

check logs in ET-XreaL\src\Debug_Dedicated folder

or ET-XreaL\src\Debug

there should be a debug log file - it will probably show fatal error

which means u were not running latest etxreal, u were running an older version of etxreal.

• Clan Friend

how can my compilation have failed if I didn't compile it at all, but used the binary inside the file from sourceforge :huh: I compiled it last time I tried, not this.

But now I see there is a #ifdef SMP section, so probably I have to compile it myself and define that, instead of using the one they compiled...

edit:

anyway they say r_smp is still not finished and shouldn't be used, now I have to check the source of this info if it's official or not

edit2:

p.p.s.

I downloaded the 1.4 gig one, but I see nothing about quake wars inside... it's et

my 3rd compile today

as etxreal was updated yesterday in the evening

and i am in love with these et graphics ! :yahoo

i am too lazy to make a video but here is what i can see

Edited by tdkxeon