Need some advice

General

8 members have voted

1. 1. which proc/idea

• AMD Phenom II x6 1100t thuban 3.3ghz, 3.6ghz turbo w/ a better mobo than the intel i think
    • intel i5 2500k with a slightly worse mobo, i think
    • wait for the new amd proc that comes in a month or two that will replace the thuban cores

Hey guys, i am going to potentially upgrading my computer soon, and i am wondering what i should do

vote, and explain your reasoning if you want to

both will be bought with g skill 1600mhz 4gb ram and a cooler master hyper 212 cooling fan

the amd phenom is cheaper by a few bucks and i like that it has 6cores

General ... get the i5 2500K and this MoBo ... http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.719121 ... and since you still need Win7 it's a Combo Deal ;) you can thank me later :hi

AMD = ok well IF you really need to BUDGET!

Intel ... i5 2500K is GOOD just not as good as the i7 2600K B)

AMD BullDozer = Might as well wait for Intel IVY-BRIDGE as it'll be the same old story ... meaning yeah AMD is CHEAPER, but yeah INTEL is BETTER! B)

AMD = ok well IF you really need to BUDGET!

Euhh... my AMD build is pretty expensive ^^ (I know Intel is better, but the prize is way to much in my opinion)

Intel probably win ^^

But I vote for AMD:waiting for the zambezi procerssors (fan of AMD ^^)

You can build pretty awesome machines with AMD for less money then when you build a rig with intel

BUT intel is ('still') superior to AMD and probably will stay superior.

It's all about the ratio between what you get and what you pay for it (in my opinion is AMD more balanced in that way)

Tom's Hardware says the 2500k is better, and that intel even beats AMD at the 190 price range. The 2500k has twice the reviews on newegg (750 to 380) and a higher buy rate. Both are top rated, though.. so you'll be happy with either. I think the real question is: what GFX card? :D

win7 is already covered by my parents if my dad just says yes.......

already had a set mobo for intel and im on a budget of approx 375.

the mobo with intel was a biostar tp67b+

and wouldt i need the ver that upgrades it to win7 if you have xp already?

Edited by General

Half August <_< if you buy now you will keep that hardware at least for 1 year or more... new AMD coming in late of September and the current Sandy bridge you may buy now will get price drops cos of new amd cpu (competition)

all new big hits games are expected on October for Battlefield 3 and November for CoD MW3, so there is no rush to get new hardware right now, especially when you know that with new hardware coming just before games launch you may have some great promotional or discount codes :hmm

also guys, keep this in mind, the new amd proc that i am waiting for will not be the top of the line one, but just a six core one with around same performance as the phenom II 1100T

also keep in mind that i wont be home till the 26th, and wont be buying anything till like 1st week in sept or so

Edited by General

... and wouldt i need the ver that upgrades it to win7 if you have xp already?

Personally ... it's a NEW BUILD and therefore you'll WANT and almost 99.89% of the time NEED a FRESH CLEAN INSTALL of Windows7, not an "Upgrade".

That's why I kept posting about the OEM version, as it's cheaper than the RETAIL version, yet it's the FULL version, not just the "Upgrade" version that will look for XP or Vista or ? not sure how far back it goes ? before allowing you to install it. You'd honestly only want the "Upgrade" version if you're keeping your current system as is, and just wanting to go from WinXP to Win7 on it.

OTHERWISE NOTE, the Reason you WANT/NEED a clean install of Win7 is mostly DRIVERS ... if you just try to do a NEW build and move over your OLD HDD w/ XP on it and expect it to work ... you'd be wrong and in for a lot of headaches. The New MotherBoard, New Processor, New etc (integrated audio, integrated video, integrated network/lan, USB, on and on) will all require different drivers than are on your old HDD w/ Win XP on it. You should consider in your budget for your new Build a new HDD or SSD drive, they can be had for $50+ for a HDD to $100+ for a small SSD that can hold and be used as your OS/Boot drive, and then use your Old HDD for storage only.

IF your budget is TOO TIGHT to allow this, either hold off and budget some more ;) ... or, save all your DATA from your OLD HDD, so you can import it again later, then when you go to install Win7 on your NEW BUILD, use the CUSTOM (Advanced) installation, DO NOT USE the UPGRADE installation option !, and then this will reformat your drive and partions clean and get you back to a CLEAN hard drive, which is what you want for optimal performance and reduced driver issue headaches later, after Win7 is up and running, then you'll reload your programs again, and then your saved DATA from the old HDD, you know the one you've been making those BACK-UPS from all the time ;)

@LA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Upgrade_compatibility Format is always required, coming from XP

Anyway, buy the hardware when you need it. Waiting is, well, useless. After the new Intel and AMD, there will be another even better Intel and AMD hardware. And after that again. For Apple, it's an exception and you should wait a bit (because the prices are the same, hardware is equal), but commonly the prices will not drop that fast.

I would buy the 2500K, although I would consider saving a few more dollars for a slightly 'better known' motherboard. I've never used Biostar (although the specs looks sufficient, but not really known in the Netherlands), and would recommend a similar Asus/Gigabyte. All of this because the motherboard is the hard of the system, but there's a moment when it's sufficient, and that Biostar is sufficient :)

does anybody know or think that by mid september the price on the i5 2500k will have dropped?

2500"K" not sure, but rest yes for 2500"S" and "T" ... read this review about performances for Core i5: 2500 vs 2500k vs 2500s vs 2500t

now come to 2500K hum it depends on new AMD FX series if their performances and price gonna be good then yes intel will have to include 2500K and 2600K to their new price list : Intel to cut prices of Sandy Bridge desktop CPUs in Q3 2011

dang, not big cuts.....hmm....i would rather have the k version, as it is unlocked, = OCing to the max,and it has hd3k, 2500s nlyhve hd2k

can someone explain to me why the i7 2600k is so much better than 2500k, cause i only see small differences if im not digging enough. if my case can fit it i ight have an extra $140 to spend on a 2nd 450gts, or can switc to buying an i7 rather than i5

Edited by General

=======================================================

:ninja: General, this would be a great starting point for your build ... INTERESTING !!! Just up on NewEgg ...

NewEggROGDeal.jpg

> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.720933 < :ninja:

Pop in Win7 and a Graphics card of your choice (and fits within your budget) and you're GOOD to GO ! :hi

========================================================